• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

What is it about this Luggage ad that is bothering me?

stripey cat

What is it about this ad that is bothering me?

Is it the use of Africa as a background, giving the impression that Bono and his wife are intrepidly visiting a wilderness, with only a photographer, stylist and lighting crew to protect them from the wild beasts?

I know I know, it's just an ad.

But I thought one of the problems which Africans have to deal with is that westerners perceive them as coming from a place which is not quite civilised, which has to be "explored" and "tamed". I would have thought that an "Activist" like Bono would be wary of spreading this cliched and outdated view of Africa.

But it can't just be that, can it? Is there something else that I'm missing?

Interista

I always admired and respected Ali for staying out of the limelight - other than to promote her charitable work. Not anymore. Plus, she's naturally a very good looking woman but the air-brusher has really gone to town on both her and her husband. I woudln't have recognised her in that pic.

seabhac siulach

What is it about this ad that is bothering me?
The question one could ask is, why would Bono need the money? Why the need to whor...I mean, sell himself in this way?
Are we to presume that the money he makes from the ad is to be used for African poverty relief, from the cynical use of Africa as a backdrop? Are we expected to make the connection with his 'aid' efforts? Given the use of Africa as a backdrop, can we presume that he will donate all the money from this cynical stunt to good causes? No, I would guess not...

H.R. Haldeman

ZOMG! Do those LV's have the beige trim? I think they do! God, how vulgar. Clearly you can take the northsider out of the northside etc.

People should leave Boner the hell alone. Yes, he is full of it, is a bit of a hypocrite and his music has sucked for about 20 years. But nonetheless he and his band have done more good for the image and sense of identity of this country as anyone in my lifetime. The biggest rock band in the world for 20 years has been Irish. You'll miss that when it's gone. Might never happen again. The country is infinitely better for their having been around.

And by the way, when you guys become rock stars and your accountant tells you to siuniu on the line to save X% in tax in an instant, do report back and tell us how good it felt to refuse on principle.

Interista

And by the way, when you guys become rock stars and your accountant tells you to siuniu on the line to save X% in tax in an instant, do report back and tell us how good it felt to refuse on principle.
I might not have the time: I"d be too busy cosying up to various war-mongering world leaders and CeOs, telling them to spend their own taxpayers' money on forgiving African debt.

seabhac siulach

Yes, because doing the right thing is so passe, isn't it? Funnily enough others such as Michael O'Leary (hardly the world's greatest fan of tax, I would imagine) can live here and, quite correctly (patriotically?), pay their taxes...

May I say it is not the tax avoidance alone that sticks in the craw, it is Bono's tax avoidance allied to his hypocritical calls for the government to increase its aid to Africa that is the problem. How a man that does not pay tax can lecture a government on the spending it funds from tax raising is beyond me. In this case, Bono is beyond ridicule and a suitable subject for all and every satire.

By the way, much good it is having these world famous rock stars when they will not repay all the state has done for them by paying their fair share of taxes...
Taxes that could then pay for our social services, as well as providing for our generous aid to numerous African countries.

Interista

May I say it is not the tax avoidance alone that sticks in the craw, it is Bono's tax avoidance allied to his hypocritical calls for the government to increase its aid to Africa that is the problem
Exactly. If Bono were happy to present himself as some vacuous hedonistic rock star I don't think anyone would much care about his tax dodging. I dont think anyone could care less if, say, Ronan Keating registered his business in Holland for tax purposes. It's the fact that Saint Bono presents himself as some sort of humanitarian activist that makes him seem such a hypocrite.

acme

Is this not a Ryanair Ad ?
airport in the middle of nowhere, and you off load your own bags

Timster

Bono's wearing sunglasses in a place that might necessitate them?

That shoulder bag just isn't big enough for all his baggage?

Ali's just noticed 10,000 Zulus lined up on a nearby hillside and wondering if the red tunic she packed was a mistake?

clonycavanman

There should be an incentive for the internationally mobile citizen to choose to pay his taxes here.
I propose 'cash for honours' as a State principle. The highest income tax payers get a seat in the Senate.

Cassandra Syndrome

If that's the island in Lost, then I love that ad. No more nauseating tripe to endure from the bugged eye muppet.