• Before posting anything about COVID-19, READ THIS FIRST! COVID-19 and Misinformation (UPDATED)
    Misinformation and/or conspiracy theories about this topic, even if intended as humor, will not be tolerated!

Cassandra Syndrome

Is this not a Ryanair Ad ?
airport in the middle of nowhere, and you off load your own bags
:p

They look too relaxed after being through the Ryanair ordeal!

Libero

stripey cat said:
But I thought one of the problems which Africans have to deal with is that westerners perceive them as coming from a place which is not quite civilised, which has to be "explored" and "tamed".
:|

Africans themselves tend to promote their countries, at least for tourism purposes, with a heavy emphasis on scenery and natural beauty. And why not? Much of it is stunning.

I really don't see how highlighting a country's picturesque landscape supports the kind of views you mentioned in your post. For sure, Mr and Mrs Bono are dressed to "explore" but isn't that usually the case with rich Westerners arriving on holidays anywhere outside of an urban centre?

The American west has plenty of rugged, desolate, beautiful landscapes (and a canon of films of how it was "tamed") but I don't think many people come away from exposure to that imagery thinking any less of the country, or viewing it as anything other than a modern, developed society.

Likewise, if people hold certain prejudiced views about Africa and Africans, that probably has more to do with a range of things other than the kind of photo running in that Louis Vuitton ad.

conservative green

How a man that does not pay tax
As I understand it, the Netherlands arrangement relates to royalty payments only. They pay whopping taxes on tour and other income sources.

So, your argument fails. He pays plenty of tax, much more than you ever have or will.

That said, I do get the slight impression U2's attitude towards Ireland has cooled somewhat in recent years. The Edge doesn't even live here any more and Bono though nominally still Irish resident seems to spend as little time here as possible. Personally, I don't blame them, and if like Bono I grew up in the Ballymun end of Glasnevin, then I'd get the feck out of there as soon as I could, just like he did.

U2 really can't win in Ireland, if they're seen to enjoy their money, they're just shoving in our face, but if they took a vow of poverty and went around flaggelating themselves, they'd be attacked as do-gooders.

Bono spent a large chunk of his Christmas Eve playing an impromptu gig on Grafton St to raise funds for the homeless, what were you doing?

As I understand it, the Netherlands arrangement relates to royalty payments only. They pay whopping taxes on tour and other income sources.

So, your argument fails. He pays plenty of tax, much more than you ever have or will.

That said, I do get the slight impression U2's attitude towards Ireland has cooled somewhat in recent years. The Edge doesn't even live here any more and Bono though nominally still Irish resident seems to spend as little time here as possible. Personally, I don't blame them, and if like Bono I grew up in the Ballymun end of Glasnevin, then I'd get the feck out of there as soon as I could, just like he did.

U2 really can't win in Ireland, if they're seen to enjoy their money, they're just shoving in our face, but if they took a vow of poverty and went around flaggelating themselves, they'd be attacked as do-gooders.

Bono spent a large chunk of his Christmas Eve playing an impromptu gig on Grafton St to raise funds for the homeless, what were you doing?
You are nieve.

Massive royalties paid for use of their records on tour means little taxable income from tours.

rhonda15

Well it's in the service of promoting Edun ... so that makes it kind of ok ... I guess

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtFfGEqjR9w]YouTube - U2Miracle.com = Bono & Ali Hewson by Annie Leibovitz for Louis Vuitton´s Core Values Ad Campaign[/ame]

Photographed by Annie Leibovitz Bono and his wife, Ali Hewson, star the new Louis Vuitton's "Core Values" ad campaign. For starters, it's the first time the U2 front man has appeared in an ad without his band, and the first time a label other than Vuitton is getting a fashion credit.

Instead of Vuitton, the two wear Edun, the ethical clothing label they founded in 2005 to encourage trade with Africa, and in which LVMH took a 49 percent stake last year. What's more, Hewson totes a handbag co-designed by Edun and Vuitton that comes dangling with a special charm that is the French firm's first made-in-Africa product. (It's also sold separately.)

The image of Bono and Hewson disembarking from a small airplane in an arid South African vista — with the tag line "Every journey began in Africa" — is slated to break in mid-September in a range of daily newspapers, October magazines and on louisvuittonjourneys.com. The collaboration also will dovetail with an event during Paris Fashion Week, when Vuitton and Edun will unveil Africa Rising, a temporary exhibition of contemporary African art along with a showcase for the campaign and Edun's spring collection. Bono and Hewson are expected to attend.

Antoine Arnault, Vuitton's director of communications, said Edun's presence in a Vuitton campaign would give the small brand —

and its mission to eradicate poverty through sustainable enterprise in Africa — international exposure.

pujols

Her waist does seem a bit wider than in the original image posted!

Boy M5

Interestingly Nude Brands Ltd their clothing company now with LVMH as majority shareholder

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/05384400

has a motley crew of directors - Hewson himself has resigned but Ali is still a director along with some LVMH executives and Paddy McKillen!

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/officers/gFYpzKXO1TuBXcBoCbaY2vmbyXg/appointments

Hewson remains as a shareholder of the company, which alas, remains loss making (at an operating level):

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/05384400/filing-history

& the last page of the accounts declares that a Jordan Hewson related to Ali Hewson (a son?) was paid $3k for a image rights & photoshoot

ergo2

In an area of high unemployment, are they too mean to employ caddies?

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom