What is it with the Irish Examiner and Terry Prone?

Aragon

Member
Joined
Jun 30, 2007
Messages
32
Terry Prone's column in the Irish Examiner ought to come with a health warning. At least it really ought to mention the connection between Prone and the Fianna Fail Party/Government. Prone's day job at Carr Communications - a PR consultancy - includes several contracts with government departments and it has been reported that she is or has been paid a retainer, at Bertie Ahern's discretion, for the Fianna Fail Party itself. For that reason readers of the Examiner ought to have their tongues well into their cheeks whenever she uses her column to comment on current affairs. As she did this week. In her column on Monday, Prone had the nerve to reprimand those affected by the health care crisis, the media, the public at large and just about anyone who feels an appropriate sense of anger at what has happened for giving expression to those feelings. We must not, Prone insists, get into playing the 'blame game'. What fantastic spin! For 'blame game' of course we should read democratic accountability.

But forget that. Prone would have us believe that the ideal response to all of this, was that of the deferential and tolerant woman who, despite having been given bad news on review of her case had nevertheless declared that she felt sorry for Mary Harney. What a model citizen! What discretion and good sense! If only everybody could be so obliging then Mary Harney and Fianna Fail need not experience a moments discomfitude. The whole problem would go quietly unremarked and everybody would focus instead on the tolerance and sacrifice of people who may even die because of what has happened.


Article here
 


Podolski

Active member
Joined
Oct 10, 2006
Messages
104
Carr Communications are experts in bluster if the Fianna Fáilers that went through their training are anything to go by. Communications and good PR is an altogether different skill.
 

Aragon

Member
Joined
Jun 30, 2007
Messages
32
Prone was at it again for Bertie Ahern when the Mahon tribunal scandal broke in September 2006. As Harry Browne observed at the time:

"This relaxed attitude helps explain the ubiquity of Terry Prone, who gets to go on Pat Kenny's radio-show panel and beam from the front of the Sunday Tribune to tell us what she 'would have advised' Bertie Ahern - and to praise him lavishly - without having to mention that she and others in her family and firm have n fact advised Bertie and almost anyone else you'd care to mention in Irish Politics and been paid for the service."

http://www.village.ie/Regulars/Meejit/Mahon_mayhem/
 
G

Gimpanzee

Aragon said:
Prone was at it again for Bertie Ahern when the Mahon tribunal scandal broke in September 2006. As Harry Browne observed at the time:

"This relaxed attitude helps explain the ubiquity of Terry Prone, who gets to go on Pat Kenny's radio-show panel and beam from the front of the Sunday Tribune to tell us what she 'would have advised' Bertie Ahern - and to praise him lavishly - without having to mention that she and others in her family and firm have n fact advised Bertie and almost anyone else you'd care to mention in Irish Politics and been paid for the service."

http://www.village.ie/Regulars/Meejit/Mahon_mayhem/
And she also opined that Enda Kenny was the clear winner of the leaders debate. Her description of Bertie was far from flattering. Doesn't really back up the line being pushed above though.

I'm no fan of Bertie's, but Aragon's inability to offer anything other than a one dimensional view on any topic is getting tedious....
 

Pauli

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 22, 2006
Messages
1,181
Gimpanzee said:
Aragon said:
Prone was at it again for Bertie Ahern when the Mahon tribunal scandal broke in September 2006. As Harry Browne observed at the time:

"This relaxed attitude helps explain the ubiquity of Terry Prone, who gets to go on Pat Kenny's radio-show panel and beam from the front of the Sunday Tribune to tell us what she 'would have advised' Bertie Ahern - and to praise him lavishly - without having to mention that she and others in her family and firm have n fact advised Bertie and almost anyone else you'd care to mention in Irish Politics and been paid for the service."

http://www.village.ie/Regulars/Meejit/Mahon_mayhem/
And she also opined that Enda Kenny was the clear winner of the leaders debate. Her description of Bertie was far from flattering. Doesn't really back up the line being pushed above though.

I'm no fan of Bertie's, but Aragon's inability to offer anything other than a one dimensional view on any topic is getting tedious....
Aragon is merely highlighting the compromised nature of the Prone article. What is being presented as a neutral article is anything but, considering Prone is on the gravy train and earning significant sums teaching some of our crawthumpers how to speak English in coherent sentences. It is a valid point.
 

CookieMonster

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 19, 2005
Messages
33,861
Pauli said:
considering Prone is on the gravy train and earning significant sums teaching some of our crawthumpers how to speak English in coherent sentences. It is a valid point.
Bertie should get his money back.
 
Joined
Feb 21, 2003
Messages
4,249
Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
So, anyone, ANYONE working for Bertie in ANY way whatsoever, shouldn't be allowed express an opinion?

Guilty by association?

Christ..................
 

tonys

Active member
Joined
Oct 5, 2005
Messages
195
My God, is there to be no end to it, a contrary view to the acceptable wisdom and in a normally reliable blueshirt organ too.
I’ll never give “the paper” a first preference vote again.
 

meriwether

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 1, 2004
Messages
12,539
Prone worked extensively with Kenny and FG also, and fell out of favour recently with FF over it.
 

Aragon

Member
Joined
Jun 30, 2007
Messages
32
Prone at her dark art - article below from the Sunday Tribune before the election. See how she lays into Vincent Browne in this piece which is ostensibly detached professional advice for Fianna Fail - but is in fact nothing of the sort. Prone is careful to present the most positive spin on Ahern's performance when all is said and done. She is telling the readers what to think - suggesting alternatives but reassuring them none too subtly that it will be alright to forgive and forget. She sticks her neck out, though, when she says Vincent Browne is 'mad bad and dangerous'. That's PR retaliation for a high profile media moment in which Browne subjected Ahern to some tough questioning at the FF campaign launch. Ahern did not come out of that experience well but no matter, Prone manages to claim the exact opposite and she does so firstly by attempting to demolish Browne's credibility and then inviting readers to notice Ahern's skill and confidence at dealing with the intrusion. All very well, except that it is not what most people saw - and it isn't the way it happened either:

http://tribune.televisual.co.uk/2007/05/06/88173.html
 

Rebel CNC

Active member
Joined
Apr 2, 2007
Messages
286
In fairness, "de paper" was at times little more than election material for Deirdre Clune in April and May so a few column inches from Terry Prone can be laughed off by Enda and FG.
 
G

Gimpanzee

Pauli said:
Gimpanzee said:
Aragon said:
Prone was at it again for Bertie Ahern when the Mahon tribunal scandal broke in September 2006. As Harry Browne observed at the time:

"This relaxed attitude helps explain the ubiquity of Terry Prone, who gets to go on Pat Kenny's radio-show panel and beam from the front of the Sunday Tribune to tell us what she 'would have advised' Bertie Ahern - and to praise him lavishly - without having to mention that she and others in her family and firm have n fact advised Bertie and almost anyone else you'd care to mention in Irish Politics and been paid for the service."

http://www.village.ie/Regulars/Meejit/Mahon_mayhem/
And she also opined that Enda Kenny was the clear winner of the leaders debate. Her description of Bertie was far from flattering. Doesn't really back up the line being pushed above though.

I'm no fan of Bertie's, but Aragon's inability to offer anything other than a one dimensional view on any topic is getting tedious....
Aragon is merely highlighting the compromised nature of the Prone article. What is being presented as a neutral article is anything but, considering Prone is on the gravy train and earning significant sums teaching some of our crawthumpers how to speak English in coherent sentences. It is a valid point.
No Aragon is merely highlighting his inability to view anything in a cold light. The base assertion is that Terry Prone is in the pay of the government parties and that her public pronouncements are propaganda. There is no evidence offered other than a piss-weak suggestion that 'it has been reported that she is or has been paid a retainer, at Bertie Ahern's discretion'. There is substantial evidence to the contrary - most compellingly, her favourable disposition to Enda Kenny at the critical moment of the election campaign. Contrast that with the analysis of the Vincent Browne episode a week or two previously and you've got a commentator who is towing no party line.

Aragon is basically unable to comprehend how anyone who isn't part of some sinister conspiracy or suffering from chronic stupidity could come to form an opinion that is at variance with his own.
 

Aragon

Member
Joined
Jun 30, 2007
Messages
32
David Cochrane said:
So, anyone, ANYONE working for Bertie in ANY way whatsoever, shouldn't be allowed express an opinion?

Guilty by association?

Christ..................
That is utterly disingenuous. Terry Prone is as entitled to express her opinion as anyone but she ought to declare an interest when she writes about politics. There are too many people on p.ie who have no understanding of/respect for the concept of conflict of interest.

For a newspaper to publish a column in which Prone regularly creates an impression favourable to people who have paid/are paying her to do that - without declaring a former or current association - is really very bad.
 

red365

Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2007
Messages
22
Aragon said:
David Cochrane said:
So, anyone, ANYONE working for Bertie in ANY way whatsoever, shouldn't be allowed express an opinion?

Guilty by association?

Christ..................
That is utterly disingenuous. Terry Prone is as entitled to express her opinion as anyone but she ought to declare an interest when she writes about politics. There are too many people on p.ie who have no understanding of/respect for the concept of conflict of interest.

For a newspaper to publish a column in which Prone regularly creates an impression favourable to people who have paid/are paying her to do that - without declaring a former or current association - is really very bad.
Hear hear.

Jaysis David. Read the posts before you get you underwear in a bunch.
 

CreolePaddy

Active member
Joined
Mar 30, 2012
Messages
153
An incomplete list of Carr Communication's clients - how can anybody at that consultancy claim to be an independent commentator on any aspect of Irish public life - especially Terry Prone:

http://www.carrcommunications.ie/our_cl ... lients.php
Agreed. The list of clients has subsequently been removed (unusually for a consultancy company trying to establish solid credentials). It suggests a sore point somewhere.
 

LamportsEdge

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 10, 2012
Messages
21,694
Well if there is a whinge about Terry Prone being associated with Fianna Fail in its full degeneracy let us not forget the story that broke about six months back our where our erstwhile Health Minister Dr O'Reilly I think it was had to email Terry to get her to change a line in a press release she'd written for him. Or was it a speech?

Terry Prone is fairly ecumenical I'd say. Must be desperate writing the same old balls for both the incumbent and then the opposition in incumbency.

Should have joined the civil service in the Dept of Finance all those years ago. At least she'd have a spanker of a pension now with which to wipe the vomit stains off her lips. Not to mention of course the noble brass plate of 'independence' rather than haunting the dark halls of political PR with a sign around her neck saying 'Happy Endings'... and a hollow look in her eyes.
 


New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top