What is John Waters on?

YoungHack21

Has this guy lost the plot or what? I think the man that is in the intellectual wing of Fianna Fáil sometimes has interesting things to say but his piece on Katy French in today's times. He admits to only meeting her once and yet produces a full-column of high-brow emotional, drivel about how upset he is.

Does anyone know what the hell he is on about?

Quotes from the piece include:

"Katy's death was the result not just of her foolishness, but of our collective helplessness,"

She did not, other than literally, die of whatever it will say on her death certificate. She died of desire, of being utterly human.

"Driven by angelic recall, they plod on clay feet into the mire of three-dimensional reality. They do not know, are not conscious, that their appetites are infinitely greater than the world's capacity to satisfy them,"

Katy French was a personification of our fantasies, of our sense of what we were becoming, of how we might unfold ourselves.

"I am crying, writing this. How can you cry for someone you've only once said hello to? Katy was the daughter of our dreams, in the sense that it was the dreams of her people that gave birth to what is tritely called her celebrity"

"She was a child. She was my daughter and Eoghan's daughter and Eamon's daughter and Pat's daughter and Bertie's daughter. She was your daughter, your little sister,"

Eddiepops

Moved to media

"I am crying writing this"

:roll:

Cringeworthy. I bet he wasn't in Buckingham Street the other night for the turning of the lights of the commemoration tree.

popper

Jesus wept :roll:

Poor old John has obviously been sucked into the sad little world. How much longer before we are reading this once excellent writer on a Sunday moring?

jerryp

If JW continues like this he'll be recruited as a speechwriter by Catriona Ruane :lol:

Lughán

I stopped reading when I got to

"I am crying, writing this."

I was just too embarrassed for him.

The OD

Perhaps I shouldnt say this, but perhaps coke? The black fizzy kind mind you. With some rum perhaps? Makes me cry about girls I dont know anyway.

Dillinger

Ah thats nothing compared to some of the stuff people have been saying and writing, That Rosanna Davidson is in the news constantly now, going on and on about her friend Katy, even though she has admitted barely knowing the girl. I was listening to Michelle DeBruen on Today FM yesterday morning, she was also talking about Miss French, I was just thinking to myself "what is the point of this interview ?, is it just to let people know that Michelle knew her".

gentleben

Its a pity John Waters has gone insane.

He really was quite good years ago.

I blame Sinead O'Connor.

Dasayev

People have been dying from drugs for decades in Ireland. Is only French worthy of his tears?

Waters said:
"She was a child. She was my daughter and Eoghan's daughter and Eamon's daughter and Pat's daughter and Bertie's daughter. She was your daughter, your little sister,"
All those who have died were somebody's son or daughter! Ireland had one of the worst Heroin problems in Europe in the 80's. How quickly we forget...

Absolute dross. Its a long time since the IT stooped as low as to print such a bucket of self-indulgent puke.

This piece of trash reads like an exerpt from a Mary McAleese speech. There's nothing worse than feigned empathy.

popper

The OD said:
Perhaps I shouldnt say this, but perhaps coke? The black fizzy kind mind you. With some rum perhaps? Makes me cry about girls I dont know anyway.
:lol:

popper

Dillinger said:
Ah thats nothing compared to some of the stuff people have been saying and writing, That Rosanna Davidson is in the news constantly now, going on and on about her friend Katy, even though she has admitted barely knowing the girl. I was listening to Michelle DeBruen on Today FM yesterday morning, she was also talking about Miss French, I was just thinking to myself "what is the point of this interview ?, is it just to let people know that Michelle knew her".

A lot of self indulgent airheads talking about another. And all united by their self indulgence and fk all else. Have a hell of a lot more sympathy for those killed in car crashes over the weekend, especially when they were the victims of some other eijit. Life is too short to waste mewling over idiots.

Big Bruffer

I was just about to start a thread on this. I nearly choked on my sandwiches over lunch while reading the IT.
Too much dancing at the crossroads John can make you dolalla .
Madam could do worse than bring back Myers.

Wolverine

Dasayev said:
People have been dying from drugs for decades in Ireland. Is only French worthy of his tears?

Waters said:
All those who have died were somebody's son or daughter! Ireland had one of the worst Heroin problems in Europe in the 80's. How quickly we forget...
Bang on. There's plenty of tragic drugs cases in the country but I don't see Waters getting weepy over them. Perhaps it has something to do with Katy French's status in society?

He used to be someone I'd disagree with, but could at least appreciate the quality of his contributions. Now he's just a space filling hack.

the leader

Well he's obviously off his rocker anyway, sure he had a relationship with Sinead O Connor.
Which explains everything.

I hate the way in Ireland these idiots i.e. Waters, Harris and Brendan O Connor are allowed free reign in the media and we have to listen/read their drivel.

G

Gimpanzee

the leader said:
I hate the way in Ireland these idiots i.e. Waters, Harris and Brendan O Connor are allowed free reign in the media and we have to listen/read their drivel.
Firstly - nobody forces you to read it. They are all opinion columnists. I don't get all the whinging about the Sindo - I don't read it cause I think it is shite. I do read the Times irregularly and while I rarely agree in full with Waters - he frequently provides an alternative voice that is worth hearing (though not in this case obviously).

Secondly - in comparision to much of the stuff that punters produce on this and other web-based media sites, the three wise men above are an oasis of sanity.

Auditor #9

Website
www.*******.com
There's a bit of hysteria around this alright but I think people are surprised at how much her death touched them even though they hadn't thought much about her before that. Was she Ireland's first 'pin up girl'? Perhaps the stark contrast between the frivolity of the healthy, flesh-baring Irish page 3 character and a 24 year-old corpse ("somebody's daughter, somebody's sister") was too sudden for the emotional among us.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies