• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

What is life like for people in Iceland now?

partnership

Have heard a lot of people say we should have gone down the Iceland route with the banks. However does anyone have any hard information about what life is like for the average Icelander now. How did it affect their daily lives, were they unable to get certain goods, did they lose deposits, pensions etc?

LDF

They lost about 20% of their savings. Irish people will lose too through tax increases as the government tries to maintain an expensive and unreformed public sector by eeking out as much as possible from a stagnant economy.

Unemployment in Iceland is about 6% and its economy will grow about 3% this year. Those responsible for its crisis have been held to account.

However, Iceland doesn't have a Micheál Martin type leader so it's not all going their way.

wombat

How did it affect their daily lives, were they unable to get certain goods, did they lose deposits, pensions etc?
They still fish in the North Atlantic. Judging by the number of eastern European crew members in the Irish Fishing fleet, I don't think the Iceland model is that attractive outside d'internet:lol:

kerdasi amaq

At least, Icelanders don't have a government that believes in putting the interests of foreigners(we took one for the team) ahead of their own people.

Truth.ie

Oh, how I remember the jokes and smug remarks on the Irish forums when Iceland went bust.

ruserious

Dire. Global warming is having a big effect.

feedmelies

Most of Iceland's economy is based on exports of raw materials and fish. In other words, it doesn't matter how poorly Iceland's economy is run, or whether or not it has a functioning banking system, as long as the rest of the world keeps buying fish and raw materials, they would be fine.

Which is great for Iceland, but unfortunately the same rules don't apply for us.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/77/Iceland_Export_Treemap.jpg

Disillusioned democrat

At least, Icelanders don't have a government that believes in putting the interests of foreigners(we took one for the team) ahead of their own people.
To be honest that would mean more to me than having an extra €500 a month. We're being ridden by our government to serve themselves, their crony capitalist buddies in the banks and Europe, in that precise order. In Iceland they have demonstrated that their first priority was the citizens of their country....I wonder what that actually feels like?

Fritzbox

Most of Iceland's economy is based on exports of raw materials and fish. In other words, it doesn't matter how poorly Iceland's economy is run, or whether or not it has a functioning banking system, as long as the rest of the world keeps buying fish and raw materials, they would be fine.

Which is great for Iceland, but unfortunately the same rules don't apply for us.

But I guess Ireland exports more beef and dairy products? The Icelandic people are obviously doing something right - the Irish are obviously doing something wrong. How many people have emigrated from Iceland in the last 4 years I wonder?

feedmelies

But I guess Ireland exports more beef and dairy products? The Icelandic people are obviously doing something right - the Irish are obviously doing something wrong. How many people have emigrated from Iceland in the last 4 years I wonder?
Agriculture makes up a small proportion of our exports.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/64/Ireland_Export_Treemap.jpg

Compare with Iceland.

"The Icelandic people are obviously doing something right" By doing something right do you mean "Having a lot of natural resources divided amongst a small population" then I guess you are right.

M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

Have heard a lot of people say we should have gone down the Iceland route with the banks. However does anyone have any hard information about what life is like for the average Icelander now. How did it affect their daily lives, were they unable to get certain goods, did they lose deposits, pensions etc?
Some further reading which may (or may not) interest you.

Iceland After the Meltdown: Lessons For the US - Carl Horowitz - [page]

Iceland?s Economy Is Mending Amid Europe?s Malaise - NYTimes.com

In European Crisis, Iceland Emerges as an Island of Recovery - WSJ.com

What The World Can Learn From Iceland's Default Model - Business Insider

The Icelandic financial collapse and the pension funds at Sigrún Davíðsdóttir's Icelog

Iceland is doing remarkably well. It has unemployment of around 6%, it's economy is growing faster than the US and EU and they're not saddled with odious debt.

dunno

The Argentines are another example. They also told the banks to stuff it, only that Cristina Kirchner acts a bit like a woman who thinks credit cards have no limits in posh shops (well the real reason for inflationary policy is probably along the lines of making life hard for any middle class groundswell of opposition), hence an inflation rate of 20% plus (although saying that is a crime there), which is some achievement. Comparing the two, it shows there are good and bad ways to tell banks and bondholders to stuff it. Spending has to be kept utterly in check, if credit is not to be got too easily. Iceland seems able to live within its means. Ireland has no currency of its own, and utterly immobile interest groups, so the Argentine or Icelandic route would be difficult to impossible.

Last edited:

Fritzbox

Compare with Iceland.

"The Icelandic people are obviously doing something right" By doing something right do you mean "Having a lot of natural resources divided amongst a small population" then I guess you are right.
So, for the most part, Iceland doesn't have the amount or range of exports that Ireland has? I wonder what is the nationality of the staff working in Iceland's MacDonalds?

LDF

The Icelandic economy didn't collapse because of a fish bubble. Icelandic banks borrowed big and lent big - just like ours. The Icelandic government decided not to prop up its banks - everyone took an immediate hit and the Icelandic economy was rebalanced.

Ireland is still struggling to get to that point.

Truth.ie

As far as I know there Chief of Army does not earn more the the CoS of the U.S Army.
Do they even have an army???
I do know they'll pull themselves out of their troubles long before we do.

LDF

I wouldn't mind if this was an academic discussion about how different countries responded to the economic crisis 4 years ago. However, we keep making mistakes. Michael Noonan will need to find an extra €360m in budget 2013 because the govt has agreed to remove the charge imposed on the covered banks. The removal of the charge will improve the bank's balance sheets. So that's good news.

Disillusioned democrat

Compare with Iceland.

Software is the biggest export in Ireland.....despite our Luddite government of 1960s teachers and country solicitors Irish developers have renowned skills and support a huge software industry....we'd survive if our government had the balls.