• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

What is SF's next step in the greening of the six counties ??

PO'Neill

Website
www.facebook.com
With the success of getting the UJ from outside Belfast City Council to only a few days a year :), what is the next step SF can now take to further the greening of the six counties ? A poster on another thread has wondered about renaming streets such as Victoria Avenue becoming Parnell Street and Cromwell Street becoming O'Connell Street etc which I think would be an excellent idea for SF. The SDLP would have to support them, and Alliance would have to do as they did with the UJ on city hall. Anyone agree or have they more ideas ?

Hewson

A few bags of good fertiliser might green the place up, but I'd be worried other uses might be found for them.

PO'Neill

Website
www.facebook.com
Strange - most Nationalists are going Orange.
Yep, plenty of them especially this week with attempts to attack Catholic churches, rioting by unionist mobs in Belfast and Carrickfergus :roll:

L

longshortgrass

Yep, plenty of them especially this week with attempts to attack Catholic churches, rioting by unionist mobs in Belfast and Carrickfergus :roll:
Maybe SF Gov. should stop being lapdogs for Tory Austerity....

Argala

With the success of getting the UJ from outside Belfast City Council to only a few days a year :), what is the next step SF can now take to further the greening of the six counties ? A poster on another thread has wondered about renaming streets such as Victoria Avenue becoming Parnell Street and Cromwell Street becoming O'Connell Street etc which I think would be an excellent idea for SF. The SDLP would have to support them, and Alliance would have to do as they did with the UJ on city hall. Anyone agree or have they more ideas ?
I think that wouldn't be very consistent given that O'Connell and Parnell were constitutional reformers rather than independentists. It would make more sense for Tone street or Emmet avenue but I don't think SF would really bother, they've got as much support in the 6 as the want/could get and now they're focusing on the 26. That's pretty much what the winding down of the war was all about, getting seats in the south.

Truth.ie

Yup, it'll only be flown 19 days a year now.:roll:
Why do you mention only SF, when both the SDLP and Alliance also voted?
Next month Nationalist Derry will be U.K City of Culture.
Mc Guinness literally jumped for joy on hearing the news.
Greening indeed.

wilting

Does this kind of thing actually help the cause of an united Ireland? Or does it only serve to antagonize the unionist community? Hardly endears them to the idea of an united Ireland. Surely if the six counties were to become part of the republic we would want it to be inclusive of all traditions, no?

I'm just posing the question. What is the utility of this? Is it not counterproductive?

OCorcráin

Personally, I think it would have been a better compromise to fly both the Union Flag and Tricolour over Belfast City Hall. It would have been more inclusive and would have more likely not to have been misinterpreted as an attack on the unionist identity.

Truth.ie

There are dictated in a lot of areas by Westminister but I would hardly call them lapdogs for the Tories.
Didn't they attend the Tory party conference?
Did any other Irish party do that?
Wasn't some of Gerry's Ard Fheis speeches written by Whitehall mandarins?
Doesn't the Tories fund SF's newspaper in West Belfast (Andersonstown News )despite the austerity.?

jdaly

Yes, O'Connell St would be suitable for SF seeing as O'Connell was the inventor of the tern 'West Brits' when he declared that if Britain would only treat the Irish decently they'd all become a 'sort of West Britons'! Fair play to you, you have the shinners well summed up. Changing names but keeping rulers, changing flags but administering partition, bit topsy turvy seeing as a rose by any other name would still smell as sweet and partition is still partition while London rules no matter which flag flies in Belfast or what a road or children's play ground is called.

Last edited:

jdaly

There are dictated in a lot of areas by Westminister but I would hardly call them lapdogs for the Tories.

I would and the Welfare Reform bill is a case in point. They claim to be opposed to it but are fully intent on implementing it. Don't come with 'no fiscal powers' because they have control of the budget allocated to them, by the Tories, and can use it whatever way they like so could actually enforce the old system if they wished although it might mean things like getting rid of the 160 press officer in the OFMDFM and a few similar things. They said that might cause 'a crisis' though, on other words a row with Unionism but a row over flags and playgrounds is ok, just not over the things that really matter.

DaveM

Whatever it is let's hope it doesn't involve pictures of anyone else's flag being burnt. Severe irony bypass at play with your avatar.

inthenameofgod

In my opinion, Sinn Fein needs to address substantive problems before spending too much time and effort on symbols.

The public sector in the North has grown by 20% over the last five years, while cutbacks to services have occurred, an example being cuts to A&E provision in Belfast. A relatively small clique of people appoint each other to a growing number of middle and senior management positions.

An investigation needs to be launched into vanity projects such as The Titanic Signature Project.

An anti-corruption drive is urgently needed with expanded powers for the Northern Ireland Audit Office. As an example it was found that several board members of Invest NI were in receipt of funding from Invest NI for their own businesses.

This is all possible due to the lack of a free press, all N.I. wide media organs depend for their survival on government funding.

There needs to be greater transparency, Stormont had to be taken to court recently before releasing information for an FOI request.

OCorcráin

Didn't they attend the Tory party conference?
Did any other Irish party do that?
Wasn't some of Gerry's Ard Fheis speeches written by Whitehall mandarins?
Doesn't the Tories fund SF's newspaper in West Belfast (Andersonstown News )despite the austerity.?
1. "Didn't they attend the Tory party conference? Did any other Irish party do that?"

You think they should not have went? So you don't care about how vital Anglo-Irish relations are in a Northern Ireland context?

2. "Wasn't some of Gerry's Ard Fheis speeches written by Whitehall mandarins?"

I don't know and don't care about who writes speeches for who. How on earth is that relevant?

3. "Doesn't the Tories fund SF's newspaper in West Belfast (Andersonstown News )despite the austerity?"

Are you seriously insinuating that because the Tories (might) fund a newspaper (source please) affiliated with Sinn Féin that means Sinn Féin support austerity?

What kind of twisted logic is that?

OCorcráin

Whatever it is let's hope it doesn't involve pictures of anyone else's flag being burnt. Severe irony bypass at play with your avatar.
I must agree with DaveM. Seriously PO'Neill, people will not take you as serious with an avatar of a flag being burnt, it helps perpetuate the negative stereotype of Irish Republicans.

OCorcráin

I would and the Welfare Reform bill is a case in point. They claim to be opposed to it but are fully intent on implementing it. Don't come with 'no fiscal powers' because they have control of the budget allocated to them, by the Tories, and can use it whatever way they like so could actually enforce the old system if they wished although it might mean things like getting rid of the 160 press officer in the OFMDFM and a few similar things. They said that might cause 'a crisis' though, on other words a row with Unionism but a row over flags and playgrounds is ok, just not over the things that really matter.
I agree on that point.

Dublin 4

Yup, it'll only be flown 19 days a year now.:roll:
Why do you mention only SF, when both the SDLP and Alliance also voted?
Next month Nationalist Derry will be U.K City of Culture.
Mc Guinness literally jumped for joy on hearing the news.
Greening indeed.
It was a good step forward for the Northern Nationalists with more steps forward for them ahead.

Derry being the UK City of Culture enhances the Bonhomie between Northern Nationalists & the British Public to the exclusion of Unionists.

Yes- indeed McGuinness is a fishy character...