What is the absolute worst idea any anyone ever had?

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
There are so many contenders here. That women are inferior? That might means right? That marrying your cousin is a good idea? I've thought about it and the conclusion I've come to is that the worst idea ever to occur to a human being is that there's life after death. Now, I don't mean to say that such a notion is unpalatable or even something not to be wished for it's just that such a belief allows for so much ill to follow. If indeed, life continues after death, why bother continuing with those difficult to implement, but worthwhile ideas? If solace and reconciliation is on offer after one becomes rotting meat, why bother try to find those end points prior to dying? If indeed inexhaustible time does present itself *after* death, why bother with the hard work of pursing those outcomes in this life? Indeed, why bother at all? Why bother pursue the cure to cancer a child with incurable and terminal brain cancer is just an earlybird ticket to paradise?

This, my fellow humans is the most pernicious and catastrophic notion to befall our fellow mammals. The idea, peddled by every religion, as tawdry and disgusting as they are, that one need only give up one's only time alive to gain everlasting pleasure in the "next life". A life as ludicrous and non-existent as the one we all enjoyed before we we born. What a ************************************g tragedy. Disagree? Agree? What do you think?

Gin Soaked

Religious beliefs need strong limits, and quickly drift from a value system to an instrument of control which kills debate. It is like seasoning in food. Useful within tight limits.

Worst idea is divine rule. But that is just pack dynamics on steroids.

Mushroom

David Cochrane, politics.ie?

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
American-style mustard. It doesn't taste of mustard at all. I have been to the great flatlands where mustard is produced by the noble and endearing family the Colmans and lo, the mustard was good.

And I have noticed a pernicious influence, yea, even to the gates of Mustard Country itself in that wherever you go bottles of this appalling 'American-style Mustard' are appearing on pub tables.

I went to get a sausage roll at the races recently in Newmarket on Guineas weekend and having bought said item perused the table for the chili sauce and the mustard.

There it was. 'American-style Mustard'. There is little to no actual mustard in it. It is horribly bland, watered down cheap muck.

Whoever thought it would be a good idea to replace Colmans' standard mustard in the supply chain because it cost tuppence less needs to be hunted down by trained hounds and eliminated over a four day festival in the Forest of Dean.

And all foodstalls should be obliged to stock Colmans.

GDPR

Worst idea ?

Certainly not belief in life after death. I don't share it myself, in the religious sense, but that concept is the fundamental origin of the idea of personal responsibility and consequentialism to ones own actions. Of course it has been perverted and distorted to serve vicious purposes, but in and of itself it is the source of the idea that you, as an individual, are answerable to an extent you cannot comprehend for what you do. Because it never ends

Now I think the worst idea ever was that there are human beings who are lesser than you, and can be exploited, murdered, abused, and bullied, chivvied and harassed because they just aint all that.

"He aint heavy, hes my brother" is the best idea.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I say religion in general is a pretty bad idea.
Ah but apparently it has to exist or humans would be spending all day long raping each other's eyesockets or so I am given to understand.

I myself am somewhat dubious on the theory.

Zapped(CAPITALISMROTS)

Twitter
daxxdrake
That humanity has the arrogance to believe we are somehow better then clever monkeys which is really our level.

GDPR

That humanity has the arrogance to believe we are somehow better then clever monkeys which is really our level.
Believing we are better is always the source of great human cruelty.

I'm not religious, but I am a child of a European civilisation which for all its faults and flaws, and we know Europes bloody past, gave me some fragments to shore up against ruin.

The beautiful medieval English ballad, for example.

"Remember, O thou man, what thou art ...."

And Charles Darwin, flower of mans thought.

silverharp

pyramid teabags

midlander12

Religion in general, and Islam in particular. The source of endless and continuing suffering and oppression.

Fullforward

The only thing that beats Suirviews idea of square wooden wheels was the idea to send British Soldiers to Ireland.

bokuden

Worst idea ?

Certainly not belief in life after death. I don't share it myself, in the religious sense, but that concept is the fundamental origin of the idea of personal responsibility and consequentialism to ones own actions. Of course it has been perverted and distorted to serve vicious purposes, but in and of itself it is the source of the idea that you, as an individual, are answerable to an extent you cannot comprehend for what you do. Because it never ends

Now I think the worst idea ever was that there are human beings who are lesser than you, and can be exploited, murdered, abused, and bullied, chivvied and harassed because they just aint all that.

"He aint heavy, hes my brother" is the best idea.
I think pretty much any ideology , no matter how daft, is fairly harmless until it gets coupled with the view that belief in said ideology makes you a superior human compared to non believers. Then it gets nasty. Of course, some ideologies more readily than others lend themselves to such a view .

Mushroom

Guinness light.

fat finger

Worst idea was bailing out spoiled brats in the banks. Just encouraged 'em to keep on with the same ould shyte. Note: brats are brats and need to be eradicated, not encouraged

midlander12

You think that Islam has caused more damage than other religions?
Historically, probably not. In recent decades, certainly. Christianity in particular is fading away, outside Africa and parts of Asia, and even there its effect on society and its adherents are less extreme than what we see in the Muslim world.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies