What is the* best* street in Ireland?

In the spirit of countering the nihilism regarding Ireland, what is the most beautiful and useful street in Ireland?

D

Deleted member 17573

I always liked some of the streets off Grafton St. but I'm too long out of Dublin to really say which is best now.

flavirostris

Best in Dublin - Thomas St, Wexford St

Best in Cork - Tuckey St, Douglas St

I always liked some of the streets off Grafton St. but I'm too long out of Dublin to really say which is best now.
I'm in precisely the same position.

I quite like the stroll down the street linking Peter's Pub, passing the Powerscourt Centre to The Old Stand and beyond.

gerhard dengler

Chesterfield Avenue in the Phoenix Park. Why? Because it a traffic thoroughfare which eases a lot of potential congestion. Plus it helps connect disparate parts of the city centre with the suburbs.

Chesterfield Avenue is also a very scenic route to drive, walk, cycle, run.

Chesterfield Avenue in the Phoenix Park. Why? Because it a traffic thoroughfare which eases a lot of potential congestion. Plus it helps connect disparate parts of the city centre with the suburbs.

Chesterfield Avenue is also a very scenic route to drive, walk, cycle, run.
Cycling out of town along it (I've done it 100s if not 1000s of times) reveals it to be quite a hill. I couldn't agree more, though. It is an utterly beautiful thoroughfare with great separation of motor vehicle, bicycle and pedestrian and beautiful foliage all along the way.

D

Deleted member 17573

I'm in precisely the same position.

I quite like the stroll down the street linking Peter's Pub, passing the Powerscourt Centre to The Old Stand and beyond.
Ya - remember them from my days working in the College Green area - loved to stroll around those streets at lunchtime.

Roll_On

I hope that post pedestrianisation College Green will claim this title. At present I'm quite fond of Henrietta st, even if it does need a lot of work.

locke

When is the last time you were on Douglas street?
Douglas St is actually home to some interesting businesses. It's just a pity the council haven't invested in the urban environment as much as they did around the corner in Barrack St.

I find Tuckey St a way stranger choice.

An unnoticed street that I'd call out is Pembroke St (the one in Cork). I was walking down it a few weeks ago and realised that with the exception of the bookmakers, I'd bought something in every single business on the street, which is not bad going. And the urban fabric is also in relatively good condition.

silverharp

In Dublin streets that I like walking along are Adelaide Rd, Wellington Rd Clyde and Elgin Road. Would be interesting to be a fly on the wall back when they were built, lots of old world charm. As for useful streets that have some charm? Dawson st and surrounds.

gerhard dengler

Cycling out of town along it (I've done it 100s if not 1000s of times) reveals it to be quite a hill. I couldn't agree more, though. It is an utterly beautiful thoroughfare with great separation of motor vehicle, bicycle and pedestrian and beautiful foliage all along the way.
Yeah, unless you've walked/ran/cycled it, it is difficult to appreciate the gradient of Chesterfield Avenue.
If I had to pick only one street that I liked, then it would have to be Chesterfield Ave.

Grafton St, Stephens Green, Chatham St, Clarence St, Sandymount, Rathgar Road, Portobello Road, and I'm sure I can name many more are all nice to walk/people watch on.

flavirostris

When is the last time you were on Douglas street?
Cork Jazz 2016. I only discovered this street last year and was taken with it's slightly bohemian character. There's some kind of an anarchist office on the street ( ? ), several really good pubs like Fionn Barras, Coughlans and a few boho cafes.

Damn.. I forgot Barrack St. One of Cork's most interesting and historical streets.

Bea C

Douglas St is actually home to some interesting businesses. It's just a pity the council haven't invested in the urban environment as much as they did around the corner in Barrack St.

I find Tuckey St a way stranger choice.

An unnoticed street that I'd call out is Pembroke St (the one in Cork). I was walking down it a few weeks ago and realised that with the exception of the bookmakers, I'd bought something in every single business on the street, which is not bad going. And the urban fabric is also in relatively good condition.
I buy stuff in the hair shop!

That's something for them to boast.

ON THE ONE ROAD

a walk down and around grafton st is amazing. Sections of the richest and the poorest congregate and with out the crowds early in the morning or late at night a musician with out an amp can amazing acoustics bouncing of the bricks. Down side would be the shop faces have a look up and the brick work on some of the buildings is beautiful but in the hapanny place to any spot with a good view of the mountains, best might be standing up on the luas as is turns at landsdowne valley, the park sloping down in the foreground, the sun going down behind the mountains in the background.

Kimmage rd west on a nice day and when the cherry blossoms come out in a few weeks can be a sight.

flavirostris

I was on Douglas Street recently, actually.
I had a great walk around that whole area last May. Lots of interesting nooks and crannies in Cork's south inner city. Nano Nagle grave, red abbey and so on. Whole area has a slightly mediterranean character.

Jesus, it's heartening to see people point out the good for a change.

There is a street in Cork which runs parallel to Patrick Street which ha lots of small traders just inviting you in to poke among their products. I like that too. I like a lot of places n Cork when I worked/lived there.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies