What Is The Most Significant Event Ever In Irish History?

General Urko

yeah, my fellow P.iesters, just a quick one for you all - Ehat ids the most significant event ever in Irish History -

There are a few contendas -

The arrival of the Celts

The establishment of Christianity here

The Vikings landing

The Normans coming over

British Imperialism

The Reformation

The Famine

Partition

Establishment of The Free State

Joining The EEC

Perhaps there are 1/2 others, I have forgotten!

It's hard to pick an overall winner, BTW almost all of them were pretty Shyte in terms of their impact!
I suppose British Imperialism, would get my vote!
But arguably, The Gorta Mor, yes I know there were other famines, possibly impacts just as much on us and our Psyche still!

The Field Marshal

More scribblers lists.

Can you ever give us a break?

:roll:

between the bridges

Next...

Disillusioned democrat

The bank bailout changed the course of Irish history - we were a proud independent nation before it and an indentured serfdom afterwards.

General Urko

Degeneration X

yeah, my fellow P.iesters, just a quick one for you all - Ehat ids the most significant event ever in Irish History -

There are a few contendas -

The arrival of the Celts

The establishment of Christianity here

The Vikings landing

The Normans coming over

British Imperialism

The Reformation

The Famine

Partition

Establishment of The Free State

Joining The EEC

Perhaps there are 1/2 others, I have forgotten!

It's hard to pick an overall winner, BTW almost all of them were pretty Shyte in terms of their impact!
I suppose British Imperialism, would get my vote!
But arguably, The Gorta Mor, yes I know there were other famines, possibly impacts just as much on us and our Psyche still!
The Famine would be my choice given it's gigantic impact on just about everything, though the Plantations by the Tudors and their Successors would be a close second.

General Urko

The Famine would be my choice given it's gigantic impact on just about everything, though the Plantations by the Tudors and their Successors would be a close second.
The famine of course also changed the course of the direction of other countries also!

Spanner Island

The bank bailout changed the course of Irish history - we were a proud independent nation before it and an indentured serfdom afterwards.
Dunno about that... pre-2002 perhaps but the Govt. lost the plot after 2002... the PDs f***ed off to concentrate on Justice and Health leaving the eFFing traitors in sole charge of the economy and the rest is history... a sad enough history since 2002 that's riddled with crap, cronyism, corruption, incompetence, no accountability etc. etc. on scales we were unaware of previously although Haughey did do his best to warn us...

Disillusioned democrat

Dunno about that... pre-2002 perhaps but the Govt. lost the plot after 2002... the PDs f***ed off to concentrate on Justice and Health leaving the eFFing traitors in sole charge of the economy and the rest is history... a sad enough history since 2002 riddled with crap.
That was a process rather than an event - the night the eFFing traitors :D bailed out the banks was the culminating "event".

Dame_Enda

I think the Famine. Cant get much bigger in a small country than your population halving and 1 million dying of starvation and related illnesses. It also created the majority of Irish America with important political consequences e.g. JFK, Reagan etc.

Degeneration X

The famine of course also changed the course of the direction of other countries also!
The Famine surely did which also had a feedback on the mother country as well via the establishment of a large "Irish" America and the heavy emigration of Irish to the Imperial colonies which encouraged more emigration and brought back some remittances for the Irish who stayed behind.

It's impact was truly staggering on all levels.

The Field Marshal

No insight for us then, I know you have superior officer status, but c'mon!
What is the point of listing off a series of historical events or asking people to select what they think is the most significant event in Irish history?

All the events you list are significant and each one could have a thread of its own.

The other problem with an OP like that is it invites ridicule.

Asking questions as to what is the most significant is like asking which wave that falls on a beach is the most significant.

blinding

The Great Hunger . Wasn’t there plenty of food being exported when the People of the country were dying from lack of food .

Clanrickard

The battle of Kinsale. Had the O O'Neills won it English rule would have been severely curtailed if not driven from Ireland.

Popular Threads

Most Replies