What Is The Most Significant Event Ever In Irish History?

Degeneration X

Possibly.

But I suspect even von Clausewitz would concede that most wars are trifling affairs given the sweep of political history.
Doubtful Wars have shaped the political environment since the beginning of Humanity. The people who passed the Penal Laws or the Act of Union owed their position to their ancestors who wound up on the winning side of some war or other depending on how far back you go. Think of the fact that people with Norman and Angevin derived family names still dominate English politics, culture and business nearly a thousand years on from the Battle of Hastings in 1066!

What would the United States (the most powerful country in the World today) be without having won the Civil War, the War of 1812, the numerous "Indian Wars", the Mexican-American War, the War of independence etc?

Spurius P Albus

The arrival and long term presence of the Gall , starting with the Normans,
cost us 800 years of natural development/progression as a race - culturally, economically,
politically etc .

They cost us much, much more than they ever contributed.

blokesbloke

Joan Burton being made Tánaiste. A moment Ireland can be proud of.

Sean Gallagher being cheated out the Presidency by a corrupt RTÉ. A moment which will be to Ireland's eternal shame.

Niall996

When the Irish invented whiskey.

[video=youtube;QbMWEtsffxo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbMWEtsffxo[/video]

Shpake

War is the pursuit of politics by other means!!
Jeez X, You sure you got that one right?
I did have a semester or two of Political Science behind me...
"War is an extension of politics, but by other means"
or the modern corollary:
"Politics is an extension of war but by other means"... like when a politician makes a war so as to distract the population from their misery... such as the Falklands war. And Maggie Thatcher responded likewise and the patriotic backlash saved her ass.
Or Reagan's invasion of some funny Caribean island

Degeneration X

Jeez X, You sure you got that one right?
I did have a semester or two of Political Science behind me...
"War is an extension of politics, but by other means"
or the modern corollary:
"Politics is an extension of war but by other means"... like when a politician makes a war so as to distract the population from their misery... such as the Falklands war. And Maggie Thatcher responded likewise and the patriotic backlash saved her ass.
Or Reagan's invasion of some funny Caribean island
I was paraphrasing a bit from the original "War is the continuation of politics by other means."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_von_Clausewitz

But the point remains valid.

Breanainn

January 21st 1919, and the inaugural meeting of the First Dáil - once Ireland had demonstrated an ability to independently govern itself, the genie couldn't be put back in the British administrative bottle.

nakatomi

Winning our freedom from the British Union, Loosing it to the European Union.

Niall996

Winning our freedom from the British Union, Loosing it to the European Union.

Speak for yourself. I have my freedom thank you very much. It's called a vote.

Man or Mouse

yeah, my fellow P.iesters, just a quick one for you all - Ehat ids the most significant event ever in Irish History -

There are a few contendas -

The arrival of the Celts

The establishment of Christianity here

The Vikings landing

The Normans coming over

British Imperialism

The Reformation

The Famine

Partition

Establishment of The Free State

Joining The EEC

Perhaps there are 1/2 others, I have forgotten!

It's hard to pick an overall winner, BTW almost all of them were pretty Shyte in terms of their impact!
I suppose British Imperialism, would get my vote!
But arguably, The Gorta Mor, yes I know there were other famines, possibly impacts just as much on us and our Psyche still!
The continued re-election of Willie O'Dea.

Regeneration Fiasco - boards.ie

owedtojoy

The most significant event in modern Irish history was the Great Hunger, from 1845 to 1850. If you want a single moment, surely it was the moment when the potato blight arrived?

No other event changed the face of Ireland so quickly or so radically. The effects were still being felt 100 years later as the population continued to fall.

Besides the demographic impact, and the physical change as the country emptied, the political effects rumbled on for long afterwards.

The Great Hunger is to us what the First World War is to the United Kingdom and France, the American Civil War to the USA, and the Second World War to the Germans.

Only in the last half-century have the effects of the Great Famine been mitigated and reversed.

SideysGhost

When a British King was defeated by a gay foreigner who was supported by the Pope.
Reminds me of a quip I overheard years ago:

Battle of the Boyne: when a Scottish alcoholic manic-depressive lost a fight with a Dutch gay dwarf to decide who could call themselves King Of England, fought beside a river in Ireland

paddycomeback

More scribblers lists.

Can you ever give us a break?

:roll:
Why do mods allow some posters endless best of, greatest etc lists to survive, while dispatching actual news/politics threads to Zoo?
Anyone like to chip in with their choice of the greatest General Urko list of best of something something Ireland?

RasherHash

Why do mods allow some posters endless best of, greatest etc lists to survive, while dispatching actual news/politics threads to Zoo?
Anyone like to chip in with their choice of the greatest General Urko list of best of something something Ireland?
True.

Hey, what's the best whiskey in Ireland?

*It's made in Tullamore* wink-wink

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies