• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

What is the point of passport checks in Dublin airport?

seabhcan

So, flying back into Dublin airport last night, the entire Lufthansa flight emptied into the T1 passport check area to be 'processed' by one lone Garda. I was at the back of the queue, and was waiting about 30 minutes.

Some people, no doubt, were non-EU and had visas to be stamped. These visas have time limits - but because no-one checks anything when you leave the country, there is nothing to prevent overstaying. You can overstay and leave when you feel like it. There is no enforcement so there is nothing preventing an overstayer from reapplying for another visa. If you overstay by 4 years, go home for a week and then reapply - the embassy has no idea that you overstayed - they just see that you got a visa 4 years ago. They give you another one.

What is the point of such a system? Why check at all?

ruserious

Garda- ''Are ya Irish?''
Illegal Immigrant- ''Yes Sir, I am here to collect the Monies''.
Garda- ''Very good, carry on''.

Sync

Seriously? Well to start with the most obvious one: If you don't have a valid visa or passport you don't get let in.

ruserious

Intelligent post
Going to America, I was finger printed, eye scanned, questioned.
Coming back in, there was a Garda reading a newspaper, giving the odd peak over the top.
That is the reality.

RobertW

Coming back in, there was a Garda reading a newspaper, giving the odd peak over the top.
That is the reality.
And that's why I no longer visit the US.

I've always found the Gardaí at Dublin Airport to be very professional. . . . Although I cannot say the same for those responsible for the security and baggage checks.

Ulster-Lad

The checks and enforcement should be more in line with the Australian system. Of course it would need more money for the GNIB and customs.

anationoceagain

And that's why I no longer visit the US.

I've always found the Gardaí at Dublin Airport to be very professional. . . . Although I cannot say the same for those responsible for the security and baggage checks.
Is the US losing tourists over its entry procedures? Have known a few people who decided to go to Canada instead for holidays as they said it would mean less bureaucracy, hassle etc.

commonman

They come across form the north for the dole here every week not a word until there a is a kick up in the media, and there from every country.

Is the US losing tourists over its entry procedures? Have known a few people who decided to go to Canada instead for holidays as they said it would mean less bureaucracy, hassle etc.
Yup it is and substantially so as US share of world tourist market is down substantially on 15 years ago.

fuque

Arabs by chance?

RobertW

Presumably. I'm not fking going there again. Last time I went it was an afternoon flight in Dublin and immigration was to be done in New York and not Dublin Airport.

Landed in JFK and waited about 5 hours to get through immigration with empty desks everywhere where passport/visa checking could take place.

Never again.

westernyelp

That is the reality.
Not disputing your point, just your Alf Garnett delivery

Shpake

Seriously? Well to start with the most obvious one: If you don't have a valid visa or passport you don't get let in.
If you don't have a valid passport or visa (or if you don't want to show it), claim that you are seeking assylum.
For that matter what do we need passports or the entire dept of foreign affarirs for at all.

RobertW

If you don't have a valid passport or visa (or if you don't want to show it), claim that you are seeking assylum.
For that matter what do we need passports or the entire dept of foreign affarirs for at all.
Er. . . Because you may not be seeking asylum as you have a document allowing you free movement into the country you're visiting.

Cornerman

Yup it is and substantially so as US share of world tourist market is down substantially on 15 years ago.
We haven't been to the US for years now - entirely due to the security hassle. South Africa is our preferred destination these days (or would be if we had the dosh to spare!)

anationoceagain

Arabs by chance?
I'm thinking about fairly affluent Irish people in the 50+ age bracket. Some of them, especially the non tech savvy, couldn't be bothered dealing with issues of machine readable passwords etc. Another guy told me he had issues coming home from US as the immigration guy at the airport he began his journey from took an age to establish that the terms Ireland/Eire/Republic of Ireland on his documentation meant the same thing. Think there were issues a while back with UK passports, as to whether holders were British subjects, citizens etc.

odlum

How many garda/airport police are there at a typical passport check area? I have often only seen ONE. You would have to wonder how effective they can be if they are under staffed. I imagine it might not be even that hard to simply do a runner at the passport checking area if an illegal was so inclined!

NYCKY

We haven't been to the US for years now - entirely due to the security hassle. South Africa is our preferred destination these days (or would be if we had the dosh to spare!)

Have you heard about the ongoing security problems in South Africa? Trust me, the security problems there are not at the airports.