• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

What is the true financial cost of criminals to the taxpayers?

realistic1

Just read a report on a individual with 113 previous convictions, who was convicted of stealing pot of noodles in front of five gardai. I was recently chatting to a solictor who told me that this type of individual would have cost the taxpayer millions, if you include all the services that are provided in convicting such a person. Is it possible to get a total cost on what an individual has cost the taxpayer through the criminal justice system? If the public was aware of what each of these serial offenders cost yearly there would be outcry. Can you imagine what the reaction would be if it was reported that along with the 113 previous convictions, this individual has cost the State 1 million euros???

Hungry thief

Last edited:

Mayoman

"What is the true financial cost of criminals to the taxpayers?"

Hard to calculate, but lets start at €64 billion

drummed

What were 5 Gardai doing in a noodle shop?

ShoutingIsLeadership

What were 5 Gardai doing in a noodle shop?
More importantly, what were 5 Gardai doing with a shop in front of them?

A MAN who stole a pot of noodles from a shop in front of five gardai must have been “off his noodle” if he thought he could get away with it, his solicitor told Limerick District Court.

sic transit

EUrJokingMeRight

How much of the total 'cost' is actually hoovered up by the legal profession??

I would say that to find a solution to this problem you have to look at where the money ends up. I mean if you put this lad away for ten years as opposed to twenty 6 month sentences where would your bread and butter money come from??

It is a roaring trade and the criminals take their sentences but they are not responsible for deciding the sentences involved.

So I think the question should be;

'What is lenient sentencing and lack of prison space costing the state'?

ObsessiveMathsFreak

"What is the true financial cost of criminals to the taxpayers?"

Hard to calculate, but lets start at €64 billion
It's actually €93.5 billion because you have to include Nama's €30 billion bond programme as well. Everyone forgets to do this because Nama is apparently "off balance sheet" (wink wink).

Racist

Just read a report on a individual with 113 previous convictions, who was convicted of stealing pot of noodles in front of five gardai. I was recently chatting to a solictor who told me that this type of individual would have cost the taxpayer millions, if you include all the services that are provided in convicting such a person. Is it possible to get a total cost on what an individual has cost the taxpayer through the criminal justice system? If the public was aware of what each of these serial offenders cost yearly there would be outcry. Can you imagine what the reaction would be if it was reported that along with the 113 previous convictions, this individual has cost the State 1 million euros???

Hungry thief
There is a building in Kildare street paid for by the Irish taxpayer where most of the big criminals in our country hangout, these people have cost the state billions. Plus they are rewarded for their crimes with some of the largest pay packets in the EU and pensions to match. No need for these guys to steal noodles.

Last edited:

Con Gallagher

Transparency International estimate that the cost of "white collar" crime is €3,000,000,000 annually.

Anti-corruption delays 'cost billions' - The Irish Times - Thu, Oct 25, 2012

Meanwhile the budget of the DPP's office is having their spending cut, despite an increase in the number of prosecutions they have to deal with.

Key findings

• Measures to control and prevent conflicts of interest in central and local government are inadequate

• Political lobbying remains unregulated and shrouded in secrecy

• Lengthy delays in introducing whistleblower protections are unacceptable

• Freedom of Information (FOI) fees are excessive and the Government is reneging on its Programme for Government commitment to restore the original FOI Act

• Agencies fighting white collar crime and corruption are not adequately resourced

• The risk of patronage and corruption in the appointments process to State boards and bodies remains high

• The parliamentary expenses and allowances regime is unduly complicated and opaque

• Recent opinion polls highlight worrying ethical shortcomings in Irish businesses

Key Recommendations

• Implement stronger anti-corruption safeguards at local government level

• Consider measures to encourage self-reporting of white collar offences. Measures should be introduced to encourage self-reporting of corruption-related offences

• Disclosure of interests for public officials aimed at preventing conflicts of interests should be more comprehensive

• All public officials should be required to declare all of their personal and business-related assets and liabilities, as well as those of family members

• These declarations of interest should be monitored by the relevant oversight agency

• Increase education and awareness-raising on corruption and anti-corruption

EvotingMachine0197

One would need to add up the cost of all the following items:

Dept. of Justice and Equality
Probation Service
Courts and Judiciary
Chief State solicitors office
Director of public prosecutions
Youth justice services
Irish prison service. (€350 Million 2011 - http://www.irishprisons.ie/images/pdf/annualreport11.pdf)
An Garda Siochana
Other justice agencies.

In addition to that, add the cost of crime induced insurance premiums on property and personal health.

Last edited:

realistic1

One would need to add up the cost of all the following items:

Dept. of Justice and Equality
Probation Service
Courts and Judiciary
Chief State solicitors office
Director of public prosecutions
Youth justice services
Irish prison service.
An Garda Siochana
Other justice agencies.

In addition to that, add the cost of crime induced insurance premiums on property and personal health.
Would it be possible to have these cost calculated and made available to the public? I think the majority of the public do not realise the cost involved.

B

Boggle

Would it be possible to have these cost calculated and made available to the public? I think the majority of the public do not realise the cost involved.
It would be great to see a breakdown of how we spend this money too and what crimes are the best resourced and which crimes are neglected.

It would be my impression that the crimes which actually make a difference to my life are neglected (burglaries, assaults, harassment, theft, dealing to kids, corruption, dangerous driving, etc) while we concentrate on things like car tax, nct, pub closing times and even things like adults using drugs.

The headline makers get the money and effort put into them but if someone breaks into my house I have serious doubt about whether it'll ever go beyond filing a report. If I'm assaulted, will it be dealt with or am I wasting my time even reporting it?

EvotingMachine0197

Most of them are available:

Chief state solicitors office €32,952,000
Garda Siochána €1,325,542,000
Prisons€317,815,000
Courts Service€54,775,000
Dept of Justice and equality €331,220,000

There's a lot of sub-head stuff under the DoJE, so it would have to be broken down to find the crime element. It includes, Probation service, State forensic lab, Youth justice service etc.

There are also more costs, for example to councils for things such as vandalism etc. and more indirect costs to depertments such as health, education and social protection.

Edit: anyone know how to make the html tags work? (fixed now)

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies