What is 'Whiteness' - Does it even exist?

stopdoingstuff

It is whatever you want to be. To elements of the far right it is the master race and to elements of the far left it is the root of all evil. For most people however the concept is simply not all that important. Some say there is a connection between race and IQ, though in my opinion the connection is that the more it features on one's political thinking, be it far-right thinking or fat-girl-from-South-Dublin thinking, the lower one's IQ is likely to be.

Pyewacket

It is whatever you want to be. To elements of the far right it is the master race and to elements of the far left it is the root of all evil. For most people however the concept is simply not all that important. Some say there is a connection between race and IQ, though in my opinion the connection is that the more it features on one's political thinking, be it far-right thinking or fat-girl-from-South-Dublin thinking, the lower one's IQ is likely to be.
This shit gets people killed.

WW2 is rolling its eyes, frat boy.

Rural

I would be a left thinking slim lady from South County Dublin.

But I do believe that this thread should be well and truly on the North Side of Dublin, in the Phoenix Park , to be exact and in the (A) Zoo, to be precise.

Mercurial

I agree the 'logic' of the 'white nationalists' is, to say the very least daft, but I find the self-flagalating of the social studies crowd pretty objectional too. In particular, dividing the whole world into 'white' and 'not white'. They might not intend this, but it is grossly racist. East-Asians and Black Africans (to take just one example) regard themselves as vastly different, and that difference is no less than the difference between themselves and White Europeans. It's mighty arrogant to announce that your social studies degree authorises you to lump them all into one category.
One pretty obvious feature of whiteness in the sense in question is precisely the tendency to regard other cultures as essentialised and monolithic. It's not the social scientists studying whiteness that are doing that - they're simply describing how whiteness operates.

Rural

One pretty obvious feature of whiteness in the sense in question is precisely the tendency to regard other cultures as essentialised and monolithic. It's not the social scientists studying whiteness that are doing that - they're simply describing how whiteness operates.

You're actually not helping at all. This thread should actually be in a zoo.

People are people, it doesn't matter what creed, colour, gender etc. they are, there's good and bad in every corner of the world. I have found that most are good.

Mercurial

You're actually not helping at all. This thread should actually be in a zoo.

People are people, it doesn't matter what creed, colour, gender etc. they are, there's good and bad in every corner of the world. I have found that most are good.
It matters what colour you are if you're shot because of the colour of your skin, for example.

Rural

It matters what colour you are if you're shot because of the colour of your skin, for example.
Crap.

Anyone struggling and trying to pay bills and make ends meet, who cares about it.

This is all just “Ivory Tower” and “College Boy” talk.

Who was shot in Ireland recently because of their colour? I don’t know because I don’t live there anymore.

Mercurial

Crap.

Anyone struggling and trying to pay bills and make ends meet, who cares about it.

This is all just “Ivory Tower” and “College Boy” talk.

Who was shot in Ireland recently because of their colour? I don’t know because I don’t live there anymore.

I suppose you would say to people who have reported being on the receiving end of racist violence and abuse that we shouldn't care about it. I respectfully disagree.

Rural

I suppose you would say to people who have reported being on the receiving end of racist violence and abuse that we shouldn't care about it. I respectfully disagree.
Of course we should all care about it, I know I do.

But this thread and the title has no place on any self respecting site.

This site is getting too “Pishy” for my liking and you & I know where it will lead.

If that’s what you want I give up. But there’s no point.

Mercurial

Of course we should all care about it, I know I do.

But this thread and the title has no place on any self respecting site.

This site is getting too “Pishy” for my liking and you & I know where it will lead.

If that’s what you want I give up. But there’s no point.
I honestly don't understand your objection - unless your objection is that it's so obvious that whiteness is real and pernicious that it doesn't merit consideration.

Rural

I honestly don't understand your objection - unless your objection is that it's so obvious that whiteness is real and pernicious that it doesn't merit consideration.
My objection is the fact that many on this site (and you have many) will use this thread as an opportunity to kick down a whole continent of people (as they do and namely Africa) and I cannot bear that, because debate goes out and hate comes in.

The thread title is a bit awful too, like I'm not white (except for my white bits), I'm kind of golden brown, so where does that put the likes of me?

Pish is full of these kinds of threads, P.ie doesn't need them.

That's all.

Mercurial

My objection is the fact that many on this site (and you have many) will use this thread as an opportunity to kick down a whole continent of people (as they do and namely Africa) and I cannot bear that, because debate goes out and hate comes in.

The thread title is a bit awful too, like I'm not white (except for my white bits), I'm kind of golden brown, so where does that put the likes of me?

Pish is full of these kinds of threads, P.ie doesn't need them.

That's all.
Okay, well I'm fairly sympathetic to that concern.

Hillmanhunter1

"White Nationalists" consider Greeks to be "White" but Turks. They consider Ashkenazi and Yiddish Jews not be "White" who are often very pale skinned but yet they consider Bulgarians to be so. The way "White Nationalists" use the term is pretty daft. Ethnicity which is probably much more in the psyche than in biology proper is something very real that we ignore at our peril though.
I think you mean "European" as opposed to "White".

The Greeks and the Bulgarians are European but the Turks are not.

Certainly Istanbul can feel as European as Athens or Sofia, but Istanbul is not Turkey. Anatolia is Turkey, and Anatolia is very definitely Asian.

As for the OP and what is Whiteness - the Wogs begin at Calais!
Wog - Wikipedia

Emily Davison

What is Whiteness? Some proponents use it to cover everything from ‘all white people (and some others)’ to ‘white supremacists’, but have a hard time to define it. Is this a real concept, or just an amorphous term to cover for bad arguments? I ask (who else?) – a professor of social science.

I don’t really understand your OP. I’m white. Known as caucasion in America. I presume to black, Asian people I would be white. As to it’s meaning, I guess it’s anyone who looks much like me. Would apply to the majority of Europeans. Many in the likes of USA, Canada etc.

Last edited:

Hillmanhunter1

We happily concede (because the facts are incontrovertible) that when it comes to speed West Africans and their descendants in the West are the fastest human beings:
We’re for Sydney | Daily Telegraph

Similarly, when it comes to endurance, the best marathon runners in the world all are East African:
World leading times 2019

The tallest men in the world are Dutch:
Dutch men revealed as world's tallest

The shortest men are the East Timorese:
These are the countries with the shortest men in the world

Red hair is most common among Northern or North Western Europeans:
Red hair - Wikipedia
While epicanthic folds are almost universal among Asian populations:
Epicanthic fold - Wikipedia

We know that Ireland has the highest incidence of Cystic Fibrosis in the world:
While Sub-Saharan Africans have the highest incidence of sickle-cell anemia:
Sickle cell disease - Wikipedia

We are however required (partly by political correctness and partly by religion) to accept that the differences between human beings cannot extend to include psychological factors, including intelligence.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies