• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

What is your most left wing opinion and most right wing opinion?

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
I think most of us know that the terms "left wing" and "right wing" are less than perfect and most of us simultaneously hold views that are left wing and right wing (at least if you're not a extremist ideologue, I suppose). To illustrate this one need only consider one's own most "left" and "right" wing stance/opinion. Perhaps it will make for interesting reading and serve to illustrate the point I'm making?

My most "left-wing" opinion:
For non-elective health issues, your ability to pay or not pay should not impact the quality of health care you receive.

My most "right-wing" opinion:
Porous borders, demographic decline and an unwillingness to mount a muscular defence of Western values pose a short-to-medium term existential risk to a liberal, secure and prosperous Europe.

Et toi?

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Not sure if left wing or right wing applies any more. But of what were regarded as left and right I would say that I am in favour of critical public services being in public ownership (health service, utilities, transport) and I would be in favour of the death penalty for certain crimes.

Who is John Galt?

Left wing:
I would be in favor of any practical measure that reduced the income of people like the Koch brothers and increased the income of the average Walmart worker.

Right wing:
Public servants should be subject to firm, proper management and disciplined accordingly.
The strikes in Roscommon over Flexi Time are a joke and an insult to taxpayers.

Lúidín

What do you mean by 'left' and 'right' as the terms have gone the way of 'liberal', 'feminist', 'antisemitic' and most others that had some definition and could be used for political debate. Now most are just used for name-calling without any connection to their former meanings.

bokuden

So " left wing" is your decent, generous, caring self, and right wing is your nasty, selfish, sadistic self? Interesting.

bokuden

What do you mean by 'left' and 'right' as the terms have gone the way of 'liberal', 'feminist', 'antisemitic' and most others that had some definition and could be used for political debate. Now most are just used for name-calling without any connection to their former meanings.
That someone can equate decent pay for low wage workers as left wing kind of proves that.

ruserious

Left wing: free health care for all.
Right wing: sick of young people leaving school and going straight on housing lists.

former wesleyan

Left wing opinion : Shoot them all.

Right wing opinion: Shoot them all.

The OD

Left wing opinion : Shoot them all.

Right wing opinion: Shoot them all.
Both rather outdated and irrelevant labels in this day and age. However, I will play this rather inane game and say I would be considered, by some, 'right wing' when it comes to crime and 'left wing' when it comes to healthcare although I think neither designations are at all accurate.

Go far enough left or right and you arrive at the same point - despotism.

former wesleyan

Both rather outdated and irrelevant labels in this day and age. However, I will play this rather inane game and say I would be considered, by some, 'right wing' when it comes to crime and 'left wing' when it comes to healthcare although I think neither designations are at all accurate.

Alan Bleasdale - the english playwright who wrote The boys from the Blackstuff - said that the further left you go the closer you get to fascism.

between the bridges

Left Cruyff, Right Best...

PBP voter

Alan Bleasdale - the english playwright who wrote The boys from the Blackstuff - said that the further left you go the closer you get to fascism.
Like this guy.

Horst Mahler (born 23 January 1936) is a German former lawyer and political activist.[1] He once was an extreme-left militant and a founding member of the Red Army Faction but later became a Maoist before switching to neo-Nazism.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horst_Mahler

shutuplaura

Right wing: increasingly worried about Islam in the west. Strangely enough because I wasn't at all in the aftermath of September 11th.

Left wing: I am of the opinion that the government has to get involved in the provision of houses, on the vast scale we used to see in the 1930s-1970s. People are hamstrung by the expense of owning a house. Without government assistance it will not happen for a lot of ordinary people. Affects spending power, family size etc.

Gin Soaked

I think most of us know that the terms "left wing" and "right wing" are less than perfect and most of us simultaneously hold views that are left wing and right wing (at least if you're not a extremist ideologue, I suppose). To illustrate this one need only consider one's own most "left" and "right" wing stance/opinion. Perhaps it will make for interesting reading and serve to illustrate the point I'm making?

My most "left-wing" opinion:
For non-elective health issues, your ability to pay or not pay should not impact the quality of health care you receive.

My most "right-wing" opinion:
Porous borders, demographic decline and an unwillingness to mount a muscular defence of Western values pose a short-to-medium term existential risk to a liberal, secure and prosperous Europe.

Et toi?
Actually quite a good OP idea. Would agree with your points, but would add:

Leftwing: legalise all drugs and provide on medical card. but provide massive rehab. This would remove lineman and co. revenue.

Rightwing: intern organised criminals (all, incl burglary gangs) and accept that welfare dependency can be generational, so enforce education for the unemployable.

The two are linked.

shutuplaura

Its a discussion forum post not a third level political science essay ffs. I personally always find the limits of people ideology fascinating.

The OD

Its a discussion forum post not a third level political science essay ffs. I personally always find the limits of people ideology fascinating.
Can you post up your rules for what we should and should not say in a debate so? I'd be curious as I don't want to be furthering triggering you with my posts?

:|

GDPR

Left, middle to soft; economics, education, health.

Right; Personal responsibility should still be a thing, unfortunately and generally it isn't.

shutuplaura

Can you post up your rules for what we should and should not say in a debate so? I'd be curious as I don't want to be furthering triggering you with my posts?

:|
Er no. But well done on making this all about you! Have a good day!! ;)

redhead

My most right-leaning opinion is the notion of individual responsibility, my most left, collective responsibility.

Mostly, I believe across all political persuasions, and in life generally, people should take more responsibility for their actions.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies