What key battlegrounds will GE 2020 be fought over?

Disillusioned democrat

What do people think the key battlegrounds will be for the coming election?

FG seem to hope it's going to be about the economy and weave themselves into that miraculous recovery, but also lay claim to a green agenda.

FF appear to hope it's going to be about housing and health and somehow convince people that THIS TIME they'll do better and hope people believe them.

On the radio this morning SF were identified as being the ABFFG party, hoping to cash in on peoples' intolerance for the "established" parties.

The Greens were seen as a dark horse - possibly king makers - based exclusively on an increased awareness of the perils of climate change.

Bizarrely on the subsequent news bulletin Howling was quoted as saying Lab would soon be ready to tell the electorate what was important to them :rolleyes:.

It struck me that this summary was massively simplistic and almost patronizing by the political parties.

What do actually people actually think the important issues for the GE campaigns should be?

Sync

FG will stand on Economy, Foreign Policy, Social reform
FF will stand on housing and health
SF will underperform due to poor leadership and the fact that FF will hoover up some of the typically disaffected folks who don't like the govt of the day but could never vote FG.
Labour melt the remaining TDs down into soylent green and give the keys over to whatever 20 something wants to try and restart the party after they get hammered again.

artfoley56

Labour melt the remaining TDs down into soylent green and give the keys over to whatever 20 something wants to try and restart the party after they get hammered again.
brilliant sync

FG will stand on economy, brexit, appealing to the 'I'm all right, Jack' brigade and whatever's left to milk out of gay Leo and Repeal.

FF will stand on health, housing and confidence and supply being some kind of evidence of their new-found responsibility and sacrifice.

SF will go on housing, health and economic inequality but Mary Lou's waning cachet might tip soft left voters FF's way.

Labour will stand on trying to wear a combination of the greens, socdems and SF's policies but Howlin hasn't the gravitas to convince anyone they've changed.

Greens will go on the obvious - and hoover up the wokes and genuinely concerned who don't think to look for credentials on other issues.

SocDems will go on housing, health, environment and cost of living, along with whatever's left to milk from Repeal. Will be trying to expand the popularity of the leaders further afield but voters still seem to interpret them as some kind of independent pairing.

PBP etc will go on housing, health, get out the guillotine and probably Shannon being used by American troops. Without water charges, their vote, if it turns up at all, will probably bleed into SF.

Actual battlegrounds will be health, housing, cost of living - with many hoping to see environmental policies woven into that. FG could repeat the error of 2016 by thinking everyone's happy and managing financially.

Disillusioned democrat

FG could repeat the error of 2016 by thinking everyone's happy and managing financially.
You have something there - ironically those doing well from FG policies - landlords, publicans, professional services, etc., and highly motivated to vote to maintain the status quo and probably represent a higher proportion of the turnout.

I listened to some vox pop piece on RTE over the weekend where some typical lad in the northside of Dublin missed the point by saying "sure they're all the same, I wouldn't bother voting". It's funny how the establishment has never been interested in compulsory voting, yet talk a lot about our forefathers dying so we had the "right" , but not responsibility to vote.

"It's funny how the establishment has never been interested in compulsory voting, yet talk a lot about our forefathers dying so we had the "right" , but not responsibility to vote."

Spot on.
It's a good argument for the 14th if you're the big two. Even more of the people who should have an interest in not voting FF/FG won't be arsed because they're busy with the 'big day'.
We're a weird bunch. There are people in Cork SW who readily alternate between FG/FF depending on whose cousin is standing.

Ludo1973

FF will stand on housing and health
If that is their choice of battleground, they are fecked. Just as much to blame as as anyone for those problems. More so for housing problem. That can be directly traced back to them in 2007ish.

Disillusioned democrat

If that is their choice of battleground, they are fecked. Just as much to blame as as anyone for those problems. More so for housing problem. That can be directly traced back to them in 2007ish.
The narrative for many is that FG inheriting NAMA's massive housing stock and managing to fritter it all away to REITs, largely causing the housing crisis....many believe when FF were ousted the problem was too many homes, not too few.

Ludo1973

The narrative for many is that FG inheriting NAMA's massive housing stock and managing to fritter it all away to REITs, largely causing the housing crisis....many believe when FF were ousted the problem was too many homes, not too few.
Maybe people will believe that. 1 million increase in population has contributed to the problem also.
I don't believe either party knows how to fix it and using it as a core issue is very risky. Same to health. It is unsolvable and has been an issue for as long as I can remember and people will never be happy with it. The bad flu this winter has certainly come at the wrong time for FG.

Greens will just be a fall back for people who don't want to vote for anyone else ( I probably include myself in that)

Labour are gone so ignore them.

No idea what SF run on to be honest...they stay away from the area I live in :cool:

Clanrickard

The Greens voted to abandon majority voting in the European Parliament. If FG and FF gave any sense they will throw it back at them.

Disillusioned democrat

The Greens voted to abandon majority voting in the European Parliament. If FG and FF gave any sense they will throw it back at them.
Bizarrely, as the UK has proven, logic and voting aren't not related.

The very woke among aren't always going to see the line of sight from Green tax policy to the end of FDI...FFG raising the issue could backfire.

We're in a strange place - social media and woke-ness are largely unchartered waters for the established parties, I'm beginning to sound like me old man, but Jaysus the next generation take some figuring out.

"The very woke among aren't always going to see the line of sight from Green tax policy to the end of FDI...FFG raising the issue could backfire."

A lot of people mistakenly believe the current Greens are a centre left party. They're familiar and a relatively safe option for clueless or undecideds. Sure what harm can they do? An easy mistake to make for people who forget where Eamon Ryan was when the tide went out.
The woke thing is interesting because, in many respects, the SocDems have that covered in spades. But they can't seem to cash in on it. The sight of Labour trying to be it is fairly mortifying.
Whatever happens, it's only a matter of time before the more recently elected Greens outside Dublin start getting irritated with the leadership. Assuming they're allowed to voice dissent, the party doesn't have a good reputation on that front.

Ludo1973

Question...is there any place to get all the policies of the parties (once they are fully published) but without any reference to who the party is until you have looked at it? I can tell you the policies American and UK parties no bother, but I have no idea what the policies of Irish parties really are. They are too similar. I wouldn't read a FF one so would be nice to see them "anonymously".

Ludo1973

It will be fought by mainly local issues and personalities.
Each constituency will have its top priorities.
True of course. And I am in Cork South Central, so Martin, Coveney and McGrath are foregone conclusions so I won't bother with them. Then it comes down to O'Laoghaire (SF), Buttimer(FG) or Bogue(Green) for the last seat. As SF actively avoid my area, I won't be voting for them so Buttimer or Bogue it is.

Northsideman

The massive issue in this election will be housing and it's a national issue. Folk up and down the country are saying my kids or my grand kids can't afford a house. Young people are floundering because they can't find affordable housing. If FF come up with good policies on housing they will clean up and housing when the votes are counted will be the rock FG perish on.

FG have miserably failed on housing and they will pay for it. Other issues will ebb and flow in the voter's minds but housing will be the constant.

Northsideman

It will be fought by mainly local issues and personalities.
Each constituency will have its top priorities.
The big local and national issue is housing. It's an issue for every part of the country and almost every household. It will be THE issue.

Last edited:

Disillusioned democrat

The massive issue in this election will be housing and it's a national issue. Folk up and down the country are saying my kids or my grand kids can't afford a house. Young people are floundering because they can't find affordable housing. If FF come up with good policies on housing they will clean up and housing when the votes are counted will be the rock FG perish on.

FG have miserably failed on housing and they will pay for it. Other issues will ebb and flow in the voter's minds but housing will be the constant.
Oddly IMHO people seem to disassociate "homelessness" from exorbitant rent. To many peoples' credit they want to see the homelessness issue resolved first even though they're paying horrendous rent, but they're BOTH the same issue, cause directly by FG policies to buy homes at €500k when they could be building them for €250k.

People paying 50% of their disposable income on rent/mortgage should be aware of this policy and who made it.

Northsideman

Oddly IMHO people seem to disassociate "homelessness" from exorbitant rent. To many peoples' credit they want to see the homelessness issue resolved first even though they're paying horrendous rent, but they're BOTH the same issue, cause directly by FG policies to buy homes at €500k when they could be building them for €250k.

People paying 50% of their disposable income on rent/mortgage should be aware of this policy and who made it.
Indeed, I travel around the country a lot and I always like to canvass opinions and the one issue always there is housing, always! It could be a family who have kids in college paying massive rent for a place to stay Monday to Friday, families or young adults who can never see themselves buying a house and condemned to renting for life, families in hotels, parents who have kids and grand kids living with them. It's a massive issue and one FG have let get out of control. Even if FG came up with a policy on it now I doubt folk would buy it.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies