What key battlegrounds will GE 2020 be fought over?

Half Nelson

Last night on VMT tonight show, Lisa Chambers got a very easy time from Yates and Cooper. Matt Carty though was basically abused and called a renegade all evening.
RTE curent affairs dropped a special program on "homelessness" on Monday evening. They put on one on Showbands instead.
RTE are not including Mary Lou McDonald in the Leaders debates. But are putting her in with PBP, Greens, Soc Dems and Labour.
RTE leader debate is between Varadkar and his deputy Martin. Some contest!
Being harangued by Cooper and Yates could be very good for votes; everybody knows they're agenda-driven media whores.
Chambers has been on every naughty list in the Dail so the shine has well and truly gone from the new girl.
RTE is.. RTE.. doing what it always does - playing the viewers for fools while being the main tool of the Establishment. Thanks to the internet that tactic is becoming less and less effective.

Baron von Biffo

Last night on VMT tonight show, Lisa Chambers got a very easy time from Yates and Cooper. Matt Carty though was basically abused and called a renegade all evening.
Treating female politicians the same as their male colleagues is misogyny. Didn't you know that?

RTE curent affairs dropped a special program on "homelessness" on Monday evening. They put on one on Showbands instead.
That's what always happens in the course of an election when a programme could be seen to be partisan.

RTE are not including Mary Lou McDonald in the Leaders debates. But are putting her in with PBP, Greens, Soc Dems and Labour.
RTE leader debate is between Varadkar and his deputy Martin. Some contest!
The next Taoiseach will be either Varadkar or Martin so it's logical to have them debate each other and let the make-weights have their own little show afterwards.

That said, many in SF will be glad that McDonald won't be in the same debate as Varadkar. For some reason he seems really to get under her skin triggering her trademark tantrums. Not a vote winner for them.

redneck

Treating female politicians the same as their male colleagues is misogyny. Didn't you know that?

That's what always happens in the course of an election when a programme could be seen to be partisan.

The next Taoiseach will be either Varadkar or Martin so it's logical to have them debate each other and let the make-weights have their own little show afterwards.

That said, many in SF will be glad that McDonald won't be in the same debate as Varadkar. For some reason he seems really to get under her skin triggering her trademark tantrums. Not a vote winner for them.
A debate between Leo Varadkar and his deputy Micheál Martin is not a proper debate. Why not have a debate between Varadkar and Coveney instead.
That said I don't know why S.F are so keen to be on TV. Do they never get tired of being asked:
"Was Gerry in the IRA"
"Did you do the Northern bank"
"Who runs S.F, some dodgy lads on the Falls road"?

Why do S.F reps always insist on talking to the FFg media???

Baron von Biffo

A debate between Leo Varadkar and his deputy Micheál Martin is not a proper debate. Why not have a debate between Varadkar and Coveney instead.
Referring to Martin as Varadkar's deputy is probably good for a laugh over a few pints at a rival party gathering but it's quite silly in an adult discussion.

That said I don't know why S.F are so keen to be on TV. Do they never get tired of being asked:
"Was Gerry in the IRA"
"Did you do the Northern bank"
"Who runs S.F, some dodgy lads on the Falls road"?

Why do S.F reps always insist on talking to the FFg media???
Because excluding them from the leaders debate underscores their status as a half party.

locke

I can see a scenario where FG are largest party, but smaller parties refuse to put Varadkar back in and we get a different FG TD (presumably Coveney) as Taoiseach. This would be particularly true if the only viable Government was FG & SF.

But still McDonald is not going to be Taoiseach.

jmcc

I can see a scenario where FG are largest party, but smaller parties refuse to put Varadkar back in and we get a different FG TD (presumably Coveney) as Taoiseach. This would be particularly true if the only viable Government was FG & SF.
The hissy fits would be a sight to behold. :)

Baron von Biffo

But still McDonald is not going to be Taoiseach.
That's not going to happen.

Firstly I can't see why other parties would want to make Varadkar's leadership an issue.

When it previously happened that the FG leader wasn't acceptable to coalition partners it was because of civil war history. There's nothing like that now. Varadkar is no more or no less controversial than any other serious politician.

FG/SF won't be a viable option. Even without them ruling it out before the election there's no way they could put together a programme for government.

If the only possible government was FG and some combination of the small parties were but the deal breaker was a personality issue around Varadkar we'd be back to the polls pretty quickly.

wombat

If the only possible government was FG and some combination of the small parties were but the deal breaker was a personality issue around Varadkar we'd be back to the polls pretty quickly.
It costs a fortune to run for the Dail, if independents can avoid an election by supporting a govt, they will.

SuirView

It costs a fortune to run for the Dail, if independents can avoid an election by supporting a govt, they will.
Is ex FG Minister Ml Lowry now an Independent TD, an example to your above post?

toughbutfair

No party seems to want to tackle a reasonable successful person earning 100k paying about 40k in taxes. I challenged people here to name one tax break, bar pension, that could be claimed and was met with a hilarious response of "loads" "everyone knows" "my sister knows them" etc but nobody had any. No party wants to stop the fleecing of the reasonablly successful.

They will all promise to spend even more of my money on the health service instead of actually making it more efficient.

locke

Firstly I can't see why other parties would want to make Varadkar's leadership an issue.
Varadkar is increasingly seen as out of touch by the public, especially the public outside Dublin. If that was reflected in Fine Gael dropping a decent number of seats, it could be a path that allowed smaller parties to still form a government with them. In Coveney and Donohoe, FG have two senior politicians who don't suffer from that image problem, even if Coveney is from an even more privileged background than Varadkar.

Admittedly for it to happen, it would rely on Fianna Fáil also losing seats and whatever about Fine Gael, there's no polling or anything else to suggest that.

I get the point about the cost for smaller parties and Independents, but against that, would the larger parties want to go into another election if they had lost seats?

wombat

Not all of them or we wouldn't be having the GE for another 2 years.
There has been a lot of posing because FF were doing the dirty work for them. The mechanics of elections is usually to borrow campaign funds and pay the loan back from Dail salary and expenses so until that's done there is a real incentive to avoid another election.

wombat

I get the point about the cost for smaller parties and Independents, but against that, would the larger parties want to go into another election if they had lost seats?
Nobody will want another election because of the cost but the bigger parties will be better able to fight one.

toughbutfair

Added to the housing issue is that FG have backed the cowboy builders by not changing our laws to stop them building apartments with defects and then when the defects come to light the statute of limitations has passed, the company dissolved and the developer walks off with all the money. Happened two people I know. I voted FG last time but now they are scum.

Buchaill Dana

The Irish media are committed to re-electing the people who bankrupt the country in 2010 and the greens who want to get rid of the 12.5% corp. tax and bankrupt the country again.
So we ignore the series of debacles FG have overseen?

The problem is we have no real choice. Those who caused the problems or those who made them worse. Whoopee

shiel

FG love of the black and tans will also cost them. Many ordinary people were disgusted.
The black and tan issue is hypocrisy at its lowest.

The Belfast/Good Friday Agreement was a world class effort at reconciliation and drew a line under centuries of colonial rule.

The Brexiteers in the UK tried to tear it up but the government and the EU stopped it so far.

Making an issue of the war of independence is totally contrary to the reconciliation we signed up to in massive numbers on this island when we backed the B/GFA.

shiel

So we ignore the series of debacles FG have overseen?

The problem is we have no real choice. Those who caused the problems or those who made them worse. Whoopee
Allowing the people who were in power between 1997 and 2010 and who bankrupt the country to be unchallenged when they blame everyone else for the present day problems is not acceptable.

Buchaill Dana

The black and tan issue is hypocrisy at its lowest.

The Belfast/Good Friday Agreement was a world class effort at reconciliation and drew a line under centuries of colonial rule.

The Brexiteers in the UK tried to tear it up but the government and the EU stopped it so far.

Making an issue of the war of independence is totally contrary to the reconciliation we signed up to in massive numbers on this island when we backed the B/GFA.
You are trolling now.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies