What key battlegrounds will GE 2020 be fought over?

Buchaill Dana

Allowing the people who were in power between 1997 and 2010 and who bankrupt the country to be unchallenged when they blame everyone else for the present day problems is not acceptable.
Unchallenged? What?

And are you not blaming them for all present day problems?

shiel

You are trolling now.
The Belfast/Good Friday Agreement is an international agreement signed by the UK with this former colony to draw a line under centuries of colonial rule.

Together with the visit of the Queen the Belfast/Good Friday Agreement was a fundamental statement of goodwill by both sides to end a centuries long conflict.

It involved changes to the Irish constitution and was approved by a massive majority in both parts of Ireland.

Refighting the war of independence is damaging the world class conciliation agreement we voted for and is indefensible.

locke

FG love of the black and tans will also cost them. Many ordinary people were disgusted.
I doubt it will be a primary issue.

It will be 5 weeks in the past by polling day and the people who care about it were always unlikely to vote Fine Gael.

Maybe as a secondary issue contributing to a feeling that the Govenment weren't fully in control in the last couple of months, it may have a small impact.

Round tower

Added to the housing issue is that FG have backed the cowboy builders by not changing our laws to stop them building apartments with defects and then when the defects come to light the statute of limitations has passed, the company dissolved and the developer walks off with all the money. Happened two people I know. I voted FG last time but now they are scum.

How mant apartments has being built with defects since FG came in to power in 011, most of the apartments and houses was built when FF was in power not FG

barrym

'They will stand on'??

Oh yes? They have already started slagging one another..... FF are the party of the crash, FG are the party of housing/health disasters/

Move on, nothing new to see here. Any chance of a bit of imagination in policies, NO.

Buchaill Dana

The Belfast/Good Friday Agreement is an international agreement signed by the UK with this former colony to draw a line under centuries of colonial rule.

Together with the visit of the Queen the Belfast/Good Friday Agreement was a fundamental statement of goodwill by both sides to end a centuries long conflict.

It involved changes to the Irish constitution and was approved by a massive majority in both parts of Ireland.

Refighting the war of independence is damaging the world class conciliation agreement we voted for and is indefensible.
Again, just repeating yourself isn't making your argument less stooopid, its just trolling.

Buchaill Dana

I doubt it will be a primary issue.

It will be 5 weeks in the past by polling day and the people who care about it were always unlikely to vote Fine Gael.

Maybe as a secondary issue contributing to a feeling that the Govenment weren't fully in control in the last couple of months, it may have a small impact.
I think its another gaffe that showed how totally put of touch they are,with a sprinkling of snarky minister.

redneck

The black and tan issue is hypocrisy at its lowest.

The Belfast/Good Friday Agreement was a world class effort at reconciliation and drew a line under centuries of colonial rule.

The Brexiteers in the UK tried to tear it up but the government and the EU stopped it so far.

Making an issue of the war of independence is totally contrary to the reconciliation we signed up to in massive numbers on this island when we backed the B/GFA.
A debate between the leader of Ffg, Varadkar, and his deputy M.Martin, is silly too.

toughbutfair

How mant apartments has being built with defects since FG came in to power in 011, most of the apartments and houses was built when FF was in power not FG
True, but FG have not changed the law to get them. SF, the greens and some other parties have laid down motions. FG and FF back the builders.

shiel

Again, just repeating yourself isn't making your argument less stooopid, its just trolling.
Refusing to debate the relevance of the most important agreement signed by the UK and Ireland drawing a line under centuries of colonial rule is not good.

Reducing it to just personal abuse is even worse.

Baron von Biffo

Varadkar is increasingly seen as out of touch by the public, especially the public outside Dublin. If that was reflected in Fine Gael dropping a decent number of seats,
Kenny was still at the helm in 2011 when FG took a kicking.

it could be a path that allowed smaller parties to still form a government with them. In Coveney and Donohoe, FG have two senior politicians who don't suffer from that image problem, even if Coveney is from an even more privileged background than Varadkar.

Admittedly for it to happen, it would rely on Fianna Fáil also losing seats and whatever about Fine Gael, there's no polling or anything else to suggest that.
There a far higher chance of Renua winning an overall majority than of FG even thinking its leader to satisfy a few micro parties.

I get the point about the cost for smaller parties and Independents, but against that, would the larger parties want to go into another election if they had lost seats?
The larger parties can endure longer than the rest. The Inds and micro parties have fewer resources, financial and human, so they just can't keep up campaign after campaign. And when they shed seats it's the larger parties that pick them up.

Baron von Biffo

There has been a lot of posing because FF were doing the dirty work for them. The mechanics of elections is usually to borrow campaign funds and pay the loan back from Dail salary and expenses so until that's done there is a real incentive to avoid another election.
Indeed, and that's why I'd love to see a series of elections in a short period because it would cut away a lot of the deadwood.

The point remains though that on this occasion the government could have been saved with the support of Independents but it wasn't forthcoming.

Now of course there are many considerations and it could be that they would have calculated that there's going to be a GE in the Summer at the latest and perhaps it's not a good idea to spend the few months running up to it taking flak for every unpopular decision.

Baron von Biffo

Added to the housing issue is that FG have backed the cowboy builders by not changing our laws to stop them building apartments with defects and then when the defects come to light the statute of limitations has passed, the company dissolved and the developer walks off with all the money. Happened two people I know. I voted FG last time but now they are scum.
Sue the engineers who signed off on the report at purchase time if they failed to inform you of a defect.

the secretary

What are the key constituencies to keep an eye on come Feb 9th?
Limerick city, Carlow Kilkenny or DSC?

Buchaill Dana

Refusing to debate the relevance of the most important agreement signed by the UK and Ireland drawing a line under centuries of colonial rule is not good.

Reducing it to just personal abuse is even worse.
Your ministed floated this shitshow, take it up with him.

shiel

Your ministed floated this shitshow, take it up with him.
I do not own any ministed.

I just support the reconciliation of the Belfast/Good Friday Agreement.

The anti-reconciliation brigade in Ireland have got up on their horses however and are ranting and raving like the Brexiteers in the UK.

Last edited:

Buchaill Dana

I do not own any ministed.

I just support the reconciliation of the Belfast/Good Friday Agreement.

The anti-reconciliation brigade have got up on their horses however and are ranting and raving like the Brexiteers in the UK.
Are you aware you are boring?

shiel

Are you aware you are boring?
The Belfast/Good Friday Agreement is an important declaration of reconciliation between this former colony and the UK its former colonial master.

That is not boring.

That is vital for the future of all of us on these islands.

Dame_Enda

Paul Kehoe is seen as the most vulnerable FG TD in Wexford. If FG loses a seat here it will probably be his.

I suspect Brendan Howlin is safe. I think Labour won 37% of the vote in the Wexford town area in the local elections and thats where he is based.

SF did very badly in the by-election here, despite their growing national poll ratings. They might get a boost from the RIC controversy, but they lack a big name here and I don't see a seat here for them.

The Independent field is becoming crowded here, with Cllr Ger Carty running, as are Verona Murphy and Sean O'Shea, who is supported by Mick Wallace and has been a GAA referee and soccer coach.

Update: Sources suggesting Peter Casey will run in both Donegal and Dublin West.

Last edited:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies