• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

What Kind of United Ireland Would You Prefer?

What Kind of United Ireland Would You Prefer?

• Total voters

ruserious

Mods: Please Add Poll

a) Unitary State run from central government in Dublin
b) Federal State with devolved government (in Dublin for current Republic and Belfast for current NI).
c) Federal State with four provincial states and Dublin as Federal District.
d) Shared sovereignty with UK in NI.
e) Do not want a United Ireland.
f) Other.

A United Ireland remains a political ambition for many people on this island. Much of the discussion often gets caught up with emotive issues on just getting a United Ireland but little discussion has taken place on what a potential United Ireland would look like.

What must be remembered in this discussion, is that Unionists will forever make up part of the community on this island. Their needs and wants must be respected.

I've therefore started this thread, to examine potential governance types that a future UI could entail.

a) Unitary State: This would be a continuation of the current state, Ireland where the 6 counties will just subsume into the Republic with central power in Dublin. While many would favour this model, I argue that it would prove problematic for being an inclusive state for unionists.

b) Federal State with Devolved Government in Dublin and Belfast: This model would use the two existing Irish political entities and join them together in a federal arrangement under the banner of a United Ireland. 26 counties would be ruled from Dublin and 6 from Belfast. A federal assembly would be made up from members from both entities. This could well be a first step in creating stability if a United Ireland were ever to happen.

c) Federal State with 4 provincial governments and a Federal District in Dublin city: This model would see a radical devolved power shift to more local government. Munster, Connaught, Ulster and Leinster (ex Dublin City) would each have their own provincial governments. This would allow local culture a better chance of recognition. Devolved power would extend to education, welfare, health etc. A federal capital in Dublin would be responsible for Defence, Foreign Affairs and any National federal matters.

d) Shared Sovereignty with UK: This arrangement is a little difficult to envisage. The people of NI would have equal access to citizenship of both states as present, but both Dublin and London would contribute to the running of the country. It would be a military free zone with a police service that is answerable to both Dublin and London.

e) Do Not Want a UI: Many of you may not want a UI for economic or cultural reasons. That is perfectly reasonable.

f) Other: If you have another alternative, please share on the thread.

Let's have an open minded and tolerant discussion please.

firefly123

A toss up between B and C. I dunno if I could trust Cork people with Munster :)

Nice OP by the way.

Last edited:

Roll_On

I'd go with b). If we're going with a full shake up of government/local government, I'd say c)

Lonewolfe

Once it's run from the actual capital and not "da real capital" I'm happy.

diy01

Are your hypothetical scenarios based on the assumption that the majority of voters in Northern Ireland have voted for a united Ireland, and things have reached the stage of negotiating the form a new 32 county State will take? If not, I'd have to vote for e)

ruserious

Are your hypothetical scenarios based on the assumption that the majority of voters in Northern Ireland have voted for a united Ireland, and things have reached the stage of negotiating the form a new 32 county State will take? If not, I'd have to vote for e)
Yes, as per the GFA.

S

Science Ninja

f: united in mutual respect, friendship, tolerance and prosperity.

the rest can be considered means, not ends.

former wesleyan

Other. ( I just looooooooove suprises ! )

A view from England

It is of course up to the people's of Ireland but for this Englishman with some Welsh heritage it has to be full unification. Whether that is a Government ran from Dublin or Belfast as a sop to the Unionists is another matter. If a majority of the people of the North want to stay as part of the UK then that is fine by me. But unification must be just that and the people's of Ireland must face the issues and pick up the cost.

ManOfReason

e) Do Not Want a UI

In fact I wouldn't shoving three more into Northern Ireland - yes, I'm looking at you Donegal, Monaghan and Louth.

Just kidding :) kinda.

Ren84

I would prefer a unitary state with devolved powers to all 32 local authorities. Police, fire, hospitals, schools, roads, public transport and certain tax raising powers. Stormont would have to be abolished.

ruserious

e) Do Not Want a UI

In fact I wouldn't shoving three more into Northern Ireland - yes, I'm looking at you Donegal, Monaghan and Louth.

Just kidding :) kinda.

Cavan had a lucky escape there!

Drogheda445

Mods: Please Add Poll

a) Unitary State run from central government in Dublin
b) Federal State with devolved government (in Dublin for current Republic and Belfast for current NI).
c) Federal State with four provincial states and Dublin as Federal District.
d) Shared sovereignty with UK in NI.
e) Do not want a United Ireland.
f) Other.

A United Ireland remains a political ambition for many people on this island. Much of the discussion often gets caught up with emotive issues on just getting a United Ireland but little discussion has taken place on what a potential United Ireland would look like.

What must be remembered in this discussion, is that Unionists will forever make up part of the community on this island. Their needs and wants must be respected.

I've therefore started this thread, to examine potential governance types that a future UI could entail.

a) Unitary State: This would be a continuation of the current state, Ireland where the 6 counties will just subsume into the Republic with central power in Dublin. While many would favour this model, I argue that it would prove problematic for being an inclusive state for unionists.

b) Federal State with Devolved Government in Dublin and Belfast: This model would use the two existing Irish political entities and join them together in a federal arrangement under the banner of a United Ireland. 26 counties would be ruled from Dublin and 6 from Belfast. A federal assembly would be made up from members from both entities. This could well be a first step in creating stability if a United Ireland were ever to happen.

c) Federal State with 4 provincial governments and a Federal District in Dublin city: This model would see a radical devolved power shift to more local government. Munster, Connaught, Ulster and Leinster (ex Dublin City) would each have their own provincial governments. This would allow local culture a better chance of recognition. Devolved power would extend to education, welfare, health etc. A federal capital in Dublin would be responsible for Defence, Foreign Affairs and any National federal matters.

d) Shared Sovereignty with UK: This arrangement is a little difficult to envisage. The people of NI would have equal access to citizenship of both states as present, but both Dublin and London would contribute to the running of the country. It would be a military free zone with a police service that is answerable to both Dublin and London.

e) Do Not Want a UI: Many of you may not want a UI for economic or cultural reasons. That is perfectly reasonable.

f) Other: If you have another alternative, please share on the thread.

Let's have an open minded and tolerant discussion please.
If it were to happen, I would prefer a version of C, although I think the regional devolution could be granted to more than just 4 provinces (perhaps two devolved regions in Ulster, North Leinster, South Leinster etc.)

I wouldn't mind B but I don't think it would be workable in a United Ireland structure.

Ren84

BTW, where is this crap about Stormont being kept in a post UI scenario? Why should Fermanagh be ruled as an autonomous entity from Belfast while Donegal is run from Dublin? If you're going to create "federal" institutions then do so in a way that is uniform for the entire country. Option B therefore cannot new considered a federal option.

ruserious

BTW, where is this crap about Stormont being kept in a post UI scenario? Why should Fermanagh be ruled as an autonomous entity from Belfast while Donegal is run from Dublin? If you're going to create "federal" institutions then do so in a way that is uniform for the entire country. Option B therefore cannot new considered a federal option.
Pssst...look at option c)

dresden8

The unionists should go for A. As a perpetually solid third party voting bloc they would be the junior party in every coalition government. Fnck Labour.

wilting

F) Four provinces of a larger Federal Republic of Europe, with an apolitical Irish national cultural institution for the island (concerned with sport, heritage, arts, etc), with the north/Ulster also part of an equivalent British institution with the other British European regions.

Last edited:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies