What language errors annoy you the most?

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
We're all aware that language is changing, and that what's a mistake today is the standard language of the future, but are there any changes in the language that you feel take away from its richness or its logic, or that just annoy you for some reason? Here are a few that grate with me, off the top of my head:

The misuse of the term "refute", usually to mean "deny".
The use of "I'm good" to say that you're well. "I'm good" is about what sort of a person you are.
People saying "The thing is, is Johnnie's xyz", rather than "The thing is that Johnnie's xyz". It makes mincemeat of English grammatical structure.
The English habit of saying "I'm sat here" or "I'm stood here" when they mean "I'm sitting here" or "I'm standing here". For me "I'm stood here" suggests that somebody put you there, rather than you being there of your own free will. It loses that nuance with overuse.

One that doesn't personally grate on me for some reason, though it really should, is the use of the singular verb when asking "How's things?" as opposed to "How are things?" Nobody outside of the Goodness Gracious Me comedy show would reply "Things is good", after all, would they?

There are loads of others, but I just can't think of them at the moment.

What do other posters love to hate? And what do they find themselves willing to live with. Are there any changes in modern English that actually enrich the language?

And are there any grammatically "incorrect" forms that are dying out, that you'd like to keep. I'm thinking, for example of the Hiberno-English "I do be ...," which is both beautifully logical and brilliantly expressive, in my opinion.

Last edited:

between the bridges

Hmmm!!! thons a tough wan, moi's nat sure tbh...

hollandia

Hmmm!!! thons a tough wan, moi's nat sure tbh...
Say nahim, big lad...

Aside from "I would of"/"I should of" etc (which Sailor mentioned), there's not much that gets on my goat - apart from persistent misuse of their/there/they're.

I like the possessive case seepage from Irish - "There's a thirst on me"/ "I'm only after" /"There's something at me"

Toland

Website
Say nahim, big lad...

Aside from "I would of"/"I should of" etc (which Sailor mentioned), there's not much that gets on my goat - apart from persistent misuse of their/there/they're.

I like the possessive case seepage from Irish - "There's a thirst on me"/ "I'm only after" /"There's something at me"
All three of the last-mentioned things are great, right enough.

silverharp

I done..... grinds my gears. Another one that I get fake annoyed about is "you have 2 choices" and then goes on to list A or B, logically it should be a choice or 2 options.

Toland

Website
I done..... grinds my gears. Another one that I get fake annoyed about is "you have 2 choices" and then goes on to list A or B, logically it should be a choice or 2 options.
I know. The "choice" thing for some reason doesn't annoy me. Neither does the misuse of "alternative", funny enough. But I can't say why.

hollandia

There are very substantial arguments about "choices" in work. We actually have a style guide, for writing reports, which settles most of the rows, but this on is ongoing.

D

Deleted member 48908

I seen a fella on here get upset over extra exclamation pints.

Niall996

I would of, instead of I would have.
Are you sure people say I would of and that it's not just an accent, prononciation thing. When you speak quickly I 'wouldof' and I 'wouldav' sort of get to 'I wouldiv' ( I would iv). Have you ever seen someone write 'I would of...'

Niall996

I seen a fella on here get upset over extra exclamation pints.
I can't stand when people use 'pints' instead of 'points.' Two totally different things. One is big and fat and tasty and the other is really small and abrupt.

Toland

Website
Are you sure peole say I would of and that it's not just an accent, prononciation thing. When you speak quickly I 'wouldof' and I 'wouldav' sort of get to 'I wouldiv' ( I would iv). Have you ever seen someone write 'I would of...'
You've never seen it written down as "would of"?

It turns up in the most surprising contexts.

On pint and points I agree with you entirely.

D

Deleted member 17573

Are you sure people say I would of and that it's not just an accent, prononciation thing. When you speak quickly I 'wouldof' and I 'wouldav' sort of get to 'I wouldiv' ( I would iv). Have you ever seen someone write 'I would of...'
Oh I've seen it in writing. And I have failed to convince either of my adult kids that there is anything wrong with it. And I knew I had lost my daughter in a literary sense the day she offered the the unlikely response, for some trouble she had gotten herself into, that "we wuz just sat there minding our own business".

Niall996

Oh I've seen it in writing. And I have failed to convince either of my adult kids that there is anything wrong with it. And I knew I had lost my daughter in a literary sense the day she offered the the unlikely response, for some trouble she had gotten herself into, that "we wuz just sat there minding our own business".
Too much Coronation St! Or is it Emmerdale or Eastenders? Can't remember if it's a Northern English thing or a London thing.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies