What language errors annoy you the most?

Baron von Biffo

Talking 'with'. Visiting 'with'. Consulting 'with'.

Incidence where incident is meant.

Lay instead of lie.

All the above are proof that there will never be a time machine because if such a device was made, someone who loved English would use it to go back to 1492 and kill Columbus.

Roman Emperor

"And if you was to win some money today what would you do with it" _ Bradley Walsh on The Chase

Black Swan

Perhaps it's already been mentioned, but shouldn't it be 'Which language errors annoy you the most'?

JimmyFoley

'Appreciate' instead of 'recognise', 'understand', 'acknowledge' etc.

It has probably gone too far for its modern use to change, but surely we can do better than 'I appreciate that you robbed my house...'!

Ardillaun

I'd have to dig out my Fowler, but I'm almost certain it has meant 'not any' for many centuries. He certainly said 'none are' is fine.
I think the trick is to decide whether you mean ‘not one’ or ‘not any’:

'None Is' or 'None Are'? | Grammar Girl

The use of refute to mean disprove gets my goat because it’s often from somebody who is simply disputing a statement without any evidence whatsoever.

Ardillaun

It’s not an error but headlines here often have ‘mum’ as a synonym for silent e.g. Minister mum on proposal. When I glance at it, I’m off thinking it’s about a mother somewhere.

Errors don’t bother me much any more. I make too many of my own (on commas esp.) to get worked up about them. Another thing is that a person can make loads of mistakes and still have a better argument, something I took a long time to accept.

Last edited:

Baron von Biffo

Using 'then' instead of 'than' is getting more popular for some odd reason.

I'm starting to feel nostalgic for the days when teachers would whip out a ruler and skin the knuckles of anyone who wrote that. Then again, with the drop in education standards many teachers today probably do it themselves.

Rodney Polo

For me it's the current craze for getting something OFF him / her ...it is something FROM him / her ! It's rampant now on ARRR tee eee

_FARAH_

Any languages that you have to squeeze your mouth muscles while speaking. Dutch is a very specific example for that and includes English, German, French and many other languages. Even the jaw structures of people grows in accordance with these uncomfortable languages.

In Turkish your chin and mouth is pretty relaxed while speaking.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies