• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

What makes a suicide bomber tick?

manna

Excuse the pun: it wasn't intended! How has suicide bombing become so commonplace when people are fighting against oppression? Years ago I found it incredulous when I heard someone killing themselves for a cause. I couldn't understand why someone could do such a thing. Why is it so commonplace nowadays and people do it so easily? Is it because there's more injustice and anger, or is it that people who do it are brainwashed?

justme1

Excuse the pun: it wasn't intended! How has suicide bombing become so commonplace when people are fighting against oppression? Years ago I found it incredulous when I heard someone killing themselves for a cause. I couldn't understand why someone could do such a thing. Why is it so commonplace nowadays and people do it so easily? Is it because there's more injustice and anger, or is it that people who do it are brainwashed?
All the best pun's are not intended.

TommyO'Brien

Presumably the timer on the bomb.

(I'll get me coat.)

charley

You find someone who is easily led and not to bright and over a period convince them that the killing of your perceived ememies by your own sacrifice is the only route to true freedom for your people. Complete crap but they always seem to be able to find those who can be brainwashed.

Cruimh

You find someone who is easily led and not to bright and over a period convince them that the killing of your perceived ememies by your own sacrifice is the only route to true freedom for your people. Complete crap but they always seem to be able to find those who can be brainwashed.
Easter 1916 ?

Suicide bombing decreases hi-tech, manpower and industrial muscle advantage. The Japanese worked that one out in WWII. All the nukes and Cruise missiles in the world are helpless against somebody prepared to sacrifice their own life with a bomb. If Stauffenberg had been a suicide Bomber Hitler would have died.

Trampas

Easter 1916 ?

Suicide bombing decreases hi-tech, manpower and industrial muscle advantage. The Japanese worked that one out in WWII. All the nukes and Cruise missiles in the world are helpless against somebody prepared to sacrifice their own life with a bomb. If Stauffenberg had been a suicide Bomber Hitler would have died.

THat last bit is of course true.....but the rest is nonsense. AH would not have been expecting a suicide bomber......but now they are expected everywhere.

manna

Your being pedantic in your own little world. My word is my word of choice and your word is incredible. Give me a little bit of what your smoking: I could do with some. Just because it sounds right in your head doesn't mean it is right, don't you think? Think I'll kill myself now for choosing the wrong word which all along was in your head. What do you think makes suicide bombers' tick?

Cael

The same thing as any soldier that fights for a cause he or she believes in. When you go into battle, you know that you may die, so by entering the battle at all, you have already accepted your death.

manna

The same thing as any soldier that fights for a cause he or she believes in. When you go into battle, you know that you may die, so by entering the battle at all, you have already accepted your death.
Surely there was a lot of soldiers who were impressionable and died for the wrong cause, or didn't know what they were fighting for.

TonyBird

Without the luxury of a large modern army and billions of dollars , suicide bomers are a tactical necessity . The 'morality' of their actions is questionable but then again so is the 'morality' of using napalm .

Mitsui2

My word is my word of choice and your word is incredible.... Just because it sounds right in your head doesn't mean it is right, don't you think? Think I'll kill myself now for choosing the wrong word which all along was in your head.
No, Trampas's word was simply right. Your word was your word of choice but the choice was incorrect. You found suicide bombing to be incredible (i.e. not to be believed); therefore you were incredulous (i.e. not believing). At no stage was the bombing incredulous since bombings neither believe nor disbelieve anything at all.

Not trying to get one up on you or anything but specific words do actually have specific meanings, quite outside of Trampas's head.

manna

Without the luxury of a large modern army and billions of dollars , suicide bomers are a tactical necessity . The 'morality' of their actions is questionable but then again so is the 'morality' of using napalm .
I often wonder if someone who was totally alien to me and to my traditions and culture killed my family for a greater good like democracy and freedom would I become an extremist and become a suicide bomber.

revolution

exactly i.e you are a soldier

TonyBird

I often wonder if someone who was totally alien to me and to my traditions and culture killed my family for a greater good like democracy and freedom would I become an extremist and become a suicide bomber.
Indeed .Any normal person would rightly seek retribution/justice . In that frame of mind , it is not hard to imagine people going to extremes .

manna

No, Trampas's word was simply right. Your word was your word of choice but the choice was incorrect. You found suicide bombing to be incredible (i.e. not to be believed); therefore you were incredulous (i.e. not believing). At no stage was the bombing incredulous since bombings neither believe nor disbelieve anything at all.

Not trying to get one up on you or anything but specific words do actually have specific meanings, quite outside of Trampas's head.
You are totally wrong. Think about it. I, me, myself, found the bomb incredulous. A bombing can be incredulous, even though it's me that finds it incredulous.

Popular Threads

Most Replies