• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

What next for Mitt ?

jo9jo

Mitt Romney, the runner up in the US Presidential election, what will he do next.

Obama has offered him the hand of friendship and will hold talks with him on how best to tackle Americas problems.

Is this just rethoric from a victor in an attempt to comfort the runner up ?

Will Romney do something totally unexpected like a previous Presidential runner up, Al Gore.

Will greatness be trust upon him and will he win a Nobel Prize ?

Will he take a leadership role in the republican party ?

Will he stamp out the tea party ?

Will he help groom Paul Ryan for a run at the Presidency in 4 years time?

Will he back Chris Christie in the New Jersey governor election in 2013 ?

Will he support Chrisites bid for the Presidency in 4 years ?

What will he do next ?

Mountaintop

Not sure what he's gonna do next, but if I was those folks at Seasame Street, I'd be watching my back...

44percent

He will find a revelation on a special plate while wearing the magic hat that all Americans are equal and equally entitled to pursue happiness.

Ryan Tubbs

Mitt Romney, the runner up in the US Presidential election, what will he do next.

Obama has offered him the hand of friendship and will hold talks with him on how best to tackle Americas problems.

Is this just rethoric from a victor in an attempt to comfort the runner up ?

Will Romney do something totally unexpected like a previous Presidential runner up, Al Gore.

Will greatness be trust upon him and will he win a Nobel Prize ?

Will he take a leadership role in the republican party ?

Will he stamp out the tea party ?

Will he help groom Paul Ryan for a run at the Presidency in 4 years time?

Will he back Chris Christie in the New Jersey governor election in 2013 ?

Will he support Chrisites bid for the Presidency in 4 years ?

What will he do next ?
I'm hoping that he does the things I've highlighted. The GOP sorely need someone to fill the role that Eisenhower filled for the couple of years after his retirement, as a benevolent elder statesman behind the scenes, acting as a voice of moderation and sanity against the whack-job element. (Unfortunately, Eisenhower didn't have the strength of will to continue this for too long, and he ultimately lost interest.) Romney's performance during the business end of the campaign was very solid, and he emerges from it with a strong degree of credibility.

Key to this role should be
1) making sure that Paul Ryan plays no further role in the GOP leadership. He was a complete non-entity throughout the campaign, and will not figure in the 2016 stakes.

2) Do his level best to make sure that Chris Christie is not the nominee in 2016. After his public knifing of Romney at the convention, and in the dying days of the campaign, there will be a rich vein of resentment towards him which can be tapped by alternative candidates. Plus there is the small fact that he is morbidly, disgustingly obese. I mean Christ - there's fat, there's jumbo-fat, and there's Chris Christie. Earlier in the year when it was first rumoured that he was angling for the VP slot, it was made known that he was trying to lose weight in advance of this. Later in the year, it emerged that he had actually GAINED weight!!

Kev408

Hopefully he'll be a mere footnote in history. He's a spoofer. Good riddance to him.

Ribeye

Romney's done,

He'll just disappear, puff:)

Even if he doesn't want to!

NYCKY

Other recent runners up like John McCain and John Kerry had day jobs to get back to in the Senate. Al Gore adopted his pet cause of climate change. Romney is 65 and may opt to spend some time with the family.

Given that he doesn't need the money he doesn't need to join any corporate Boards, or write a book etc, my guess is that he will become something of a party grandee and speak at future conventions and sit in on some bipartisan blue ribbon commissions. Other than that just fade into the background.

theloner

Back to being a Mormon Bishop?

Ribeye

He is currently 65 - is it concievable that he will have another run at the Presidency in 4 years ?
No chance, even if Cheis Cristie gets stuck in a lift somewhere, Romney won't be getting another bite at the big job!

Hitch 22

Plus there is the small fact that he is morbidly, disgustingly obese. I mean Christ - there's fat, there's jumbo-fat, and there's Chris Christie. Earlier in the year when it was first rumoured that he was angling for the VP slot, it was made known that he was trying to lose weight in advance of this. Later in the year, it emerged that he had actually GAINED weight!!
He is one fat hog of a man. His blood type must be Ragoo!

Rocky

He is currently 65 - is it concievable that he will have another run at the Presidency in 4 years ?
No. He had his go.

I presume he'll just retire and/or focus on his various business interests. I think he's gone in politics.

True Republican

he's finished in politics, he promised his wife he wouldn't run again if he lost the presidential election. If he is to remain active in the republican party he needs to encourage the party leadership to take on the tea party loons, he must also acknowledge that he moved too far to the right during the primaries and that the republican party needs to change.

Tea Party Patriot

I think Mitt has run his course. Unable to defeat a President during a terrible recession, a poor track record on establishing a stable position on an most issues. He wasn't a good candidate day one, and has little to offer to the future.

He is still young enough to return to his business career for the next five to ten years depending on his health. But politically I don't see him getting up to much, unless it is in crisis management for a specific cause, something he did prove good at in turning around the Winter Olympics.