What next for the pro-life movement or have the pro-choicers scored an own goal?

kerdasi amaq

Having ignored most of the debate on this subject; I would like to raise the following points after reading the new amendment that "provision may be made by law for the regulation of termination of pregnancy".

This legalese does not appear to confer any right to terminate pregnancy.

All it does is allow the Oireachtas to legislate to permit abortions to occur.

So, if a pro-life government comes to office could they pass a law to regulate termination of pregnancy by outlawing it completely?petunia

If so. maybe the pro-choicers scored a massive own goal?

Last edited:

neiphin

Dame_Enda

Instead of pushing a prohibitionist agenda, they should work to reduce the number of abortions by addressing the economic conditions that cause some to have discretionary abortions, such as poverty. I believe abortions should be safe, legal (at least for 12 weeks and health grounds) and rare. They also need to disassociate themselves from the US Bible Belt headbangers with their dead foetus photos.

gleeful

Having ignored most of the debate on this subject; I would like to raise the following points after reading the new amendment that "provision may be made by law for the regulation of termination of pregnancy".

So, if a pro-life government comes to office could they pass a law to regulate termination of pregnancy by outlawing it completely?petunia

If so. maybe the pro-choicers scored a massive own goal.
Yes, you are correct. This is known as 'democracy'.

Sync

So much stupid going on.

1. Yes. Then entire ****ing point of the referendum was to allow the Dail legislate on the issue

2. There isn't any abortion at the moment. How could it be an own goal? How could it get worse?

3. Cretin.

Mitsui2

You'll all have to forgive kerdasi.

He's dedicated so much time to promoting race-hate and licking up to redneck sub-Fasist types that he's not really au fait with how normal politics actually works.

kerdasi amaq

So much stupid going on.

1. Yes. Then entire ****ing point of the referendum was to allow the Dail legislate on the issue

2. There isn't any abortion at the moment. How could it be an own goal? How could it get worse?

3. Cretin.
Do you accept the point that a pro-life Oireachtas, could under this amendment, outlaw termination of pregnancies?

kerdasi amaq

You'll all have to forgive kerdasi.

He's dedicated so much time to promoting race-hate and licking up to redneck sub-Fasist types that he's not really au fait with how normal politics actually works.
Only in your fevered imagination does that happen.

good dog

So much stupid going on.

3. Cretin.
There are about 25 legal abortion per year here. The reality is there has been abortions or terminations carried out in Irish hospitals for decades when a woman's life was at risk.

GDPR

I suggest pro-life switch their focus to supporting parents of Downs Syndrome children and others with disabilities.

GDPR

There are indications which I hope are true that the poll was massively rigged- this will come out in the heel of the hunt, I hope it is true as I said but I'm not sure. I think the main focus should be discovering to what extent it was. If it wasn't the main focus should be on preventing Social Workers bullying women and girls into having abortions that they don't really want.

GJG

Website
blog.hereshow.ie
There are indications which I hope are true that the poll was massively rigged- this will come out in the heel of the hunt, I hope it is true as I said but I'm not sure. I think the main focus should be discovering to what extent it was. If it wasn't the main focus should be on preventing Social Workers bullying women and girls into having abortions that they don't really want.
Care to share any of those indications with any of us in the reality-based community?

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No

Massive mistake alright, winning a referendum to get rid of the 8th by a 2:1 majority. Huge own goal .... :)

johnnypockets

What indications?

hollandia

If I have this right, the OP is suggesting that the decisive defeat is in fact a massive victory. God loves a trier :)

New Threads

Most Replies