What NOT to bring to this weekend's Guns N Roses Gig at Slane

Lara2

I missed them the first time round in Slane though I would have given my right arm to go at the time but I would have rather seen them in the 90s at their peak. This time I wouldn't go if I got a free pass. Look at this article here from the Meath Chronicle on what to NOT bring to the rock concert of the year:

http://www.meathchronicle.ie/news/roundup/articles/2017/05/23/4140466-watch-what-you-need-to-know-about-saturdays-slane-concert/

• Air horns
• Alcohol
• Animals (other than registered guide or hearing dogs)
• Any item which may reasonably be considered for use as a weapon
• Audio recorders
• Backpacks or waistpacks
• Cans
• Cameras with a detachable lense or recording equipment
• Camping equipment
• Chinese or sky lanterns
• Excessive amounts of cigarettes may be refused entry to the site
• Food
• Fireworks and flares
• Garden furniture, deckchairs, fold up chairs or shooting sticks.
• Glass
• Go Pro’s
• Illegal substances
• iPads
• Umbrellas or flag poles
• Large chains, spiked bracelet’s or wallet chains
• Light sabers
• Megaphones
• Nitrous oxide
• Portable laser equipment and pens
• Selfie sticks
• Smoke canisters
• Sound systems
• Spray cans
• Tridents
Video equipment*
• Unofficial tabards or reflective jackets
Notes: All the above items will be confiscated not returned.

1. Backpacks and waist bags/bum bags are banned. Most people needs a backpack for a gig like this, it's almost 24 hours from when you set off, you need some sandwiches, a few cans, make up and a brush, a half a toilet paper roll and a jumper for when it gets cool at night.

2. No food. That's right, you are not allowed to bring your own sandwiches, instead you must buy over-priced food on site. The gig is from 2pm until 11pm

3. No inflatable toys or star Wars sh1t

4. The likes of iPads and selfie-sticks, who cares? But...

5....This really takes the biscuit...You can't bring alcohol - fair enough - but alcohol is going to be limited to 4 drinks per person at the bars on site over the 9 or 10 hour duration.

Q: Can I bring alcohol into the venue?
A: No booze is permitted onto the event site and searches will be in place at the entrances. There is also a 4-drink per person limit on all onsite bars. If you happen to be lucky enough to look under 25 bring ID, they'll be checking on event day.
How will they know you've had a drink already? Do they stamp your forehead with indelible ink? I can't see this going down well at all. There will be 400 guards there too, so no drugs.

Rock and Roll my arse, they'd be better off going up the park with a ghettoblaster and a greatest hits of Guns N Roses, a bag of cans and a few joints.

What does everyone think? About Slane, Guns N Roses gig, the differences between going to a concert like that in the 90s and going to it now, look at the restrictions! None of that stuff was banned when I was at gigs/concerts in the late 80s/early-mid 90s.

Note to Mods, don't know to put this thread in this forum or Events.

Last edited:

OrderoftheDragon

Got offered a free ticket on weds, I would struggle to go near slane even being paid.

ne0ica

I wouldn't be arsed going if it was going to be like that. But I know lots would.

Emily Davison

I missed them the first time round in Slane though I would have given my right arm to go at the time but I would have rather seen them in the 90s at their peak. This time I wouldn't go if I got a free pass. Look at this article here from the Meath Chronicle on what to NOT bring to the rock concert of the year:

Meath Chronicle - WATCH: What you NEED to know about Saturday's Slane concert

• Air horns
• Alcohol
• Animals (other than registered guide or hearing dogs)
• Any item which may reasonably be considered for use as a weapon
• Audio recorders
• Backpacks or waistpacks
• Cans
• Cameras with a detachable lense or recording equipment
• Camping equipment
• Chinese or sky lanterns
• Excessive amounts of cigarettes may be refused entry to the site
• Food
• Fireworks and flares
• Garden furniture, deckchairs, fold up chairs or shooting sticks.
• Glass
• Go Pro’s
• Illegal substances
• iPads
• Umbrellas or flag poles
• Large chains, spiked bracelet’s or wallet chains
• Light sabers
• Megaphones
• Nitrous oxide
• Portable laser equipment and pens
• Selfie sticks
• Smoke canisters
• Sound systems
• Spray cans
• Tridents
Video equipment*
• Unofficial tabards or reflective jackets
Notes: All the above items will be confiscated not returned.

1. Backpacks and waist bags/bum bags are banned. Most people needs a backpack for a gig like this, it's almost 24 hours from when you set off, you need some sandwiches, a few cans, make up and a brush, a half a toilet paper roll and a jumper for when it gets cool at night.

2. No food. That's right, you are not allowed to bring your own sandwiches, instead you must buy over-priced food on site. The gig is from 2pm until 11pm

3. No inflatable toys or star Wars sh1t

4. The likes of iPads and selfies, who cares? But...

5....This really takes the biscuit...You can't bring alcohol - fair enough - but alcohol is going to be limited to 4 drinks per person at the bars on site over the 9 or 10 hour duration.

How will they know you've had a drink already? Do they stamp your forehead with indelible ink? I can't see this going down well at all. There will be 400 guards there too, so no drugs.

Rock and Roll my arse, they'd be better off going up the park with a ghettoblaster and a greatest hits of Guns N Roses, a bag of cans and a few joints.

Note to Mods, don't know to put this thread in this forum or Events.
No idea why anyone would being that kind of stuff to a concert. I went to Rod Stewart in the RDS and I don't remember bringing anything other than my wallet. My mother brought crates of beer, and people to drink it to see James Last quite a while back. I can't think of one song by guns and roses. Are they worth seeing!

OrderoftheDragon

No idea why anyone would being that kind if stuff to a concert. I went to Rod Stewart in the RDS and I don't rember bringing anything other than my wallet.
Rock and Roll baby, seriously when I think back to the feile in Thurles..........that list is like a pensioners day trip.

JimmyFoley

Twin Peaks made its return to TV this week.

Why can't people enjoy things-music, TV shows, films- at the time and then move the fûck on and just enjoy the memories?!

Sad basterds trying to recreate something that was real 25 years ago. Same with the Stone Roses a few years ago.

I dread the day I switch on the TV and see an ad for 'My Cousin Vinny 2'!

fat finger

I'd go if the ticket got into the castle with mountains of free food, girls in skimpies, limitless booze, and a free chopper back to town; otherwise include me out

Lara2

No idea why anyone would being that kind of stuff to a concert. I went to Rod Stewart in the RDS and I don't remember bringing anything other than my wallet.
Yeah for a 2 hour gig. If you are going to Slane from Dublin, you'd want to be leaving at 10 or 11, Gates open at 2pm, gig is over probably by 11pm then it takes an hour to get out, so you do need some stuff over a 12 hour period, like food and make-up and a jumper for the night.

gerhard dengler

1981-1985 veteran here : Slane is a venue best suitable for youngsters, in my opinion.

Traffic congestion. That bridge over the Boyne and waiting to cross it, so that the journey home to civilisation can begin in earnest. Definitely a youngsters day out.

If any of ye are going, have an enjoyable and safe day.

PS. remember a few years back there was a lot of trouble at Slane with bowsies acting up?

GDPR

You cant bring a Trident?

What have they got against nuclear war heads? I never leave home without one.

Emily Davison

Yeah for a 2 hour gig. If you are going to Slane from Dublin, you'd want to be leaving at 10 or 11, Gates open at 2pm, gig is over probably by 11pm then it takes an hour to get out, so you do need some stuff over a 12 hour period, like food and make-up and a jumper for the night.

Probably the problem is torture, I refuse to subject myself to it. I paid an outrageous price for a cocktail in the ice bar before the concert rather than sit on the street outside a famous pub in Ballsbride whose name currently escapes me.

Lara why on earth would you put yourself thru what sounds like grief. Do you love their music?

The_SR

The four drinks is at a time. Per purchase. Not all you can buy over the course of the gig

bm42

Why can't people enjoy things-music, TV shows, films- at the time and then move the fûck on and just enjoy the memories?!

Sad basterds trying to recreate something that was real 25 years ago. Same with the Stone Roses a few years ago.

My 2nd Cousin once removed Vinny surely?

ne0ica

Case in point Star Wars.

Really bad prequels. I seen a thing of how Episode VIII was filmed shot for shot to mimic the old films and trick us into recreating the experience of watching the originals.

Everything is ************************ now.

fat finger

Cannot bring food?
Someone is taking the piiss

Q: Will there be food/drinks available to purchase at the event?

A: Yes. There will be an array of onsite concessions selling food and beverages. Please note patrons are NOT permitted to bring Alcohol/ Food/beverages into this event. Strictly NO REFRESHMENTS IN HARD CONTAINERS (cans, plastic bottles, glass) – even those containing water / non-alcoholic liquids in them.

http://www.slanecastle.ie/castle/castle_faqs.php

Lara2

Probably the problem is torture, I refuse to subject myself to it. I paid an outrageous price for a cocktail in the ice bar before the concert rather than sit on the street outside a famous pub in Ballsbride whose name currently escapes me.

Lara why on earth would you put yourself thru what sounds like grief. Do you love their music?
Eh? There won't be cocktail bars at Slane! Last time I was there they just sold and two varieties of lager.
I'm not going. Did you read the OP properly?

New Threads

Most Replies