What Novel will show the future as Orwell's 1984 has done ?.

George Orwell's classic 1984 has pretty much laid out what Society would become......... its date in title was out but not by that many decades.

A retrospective look at it shows that it was a : Seminal book - Highly influential in an original way; constituting or providing a basis for further development:

Many of the ideas for Govt control are in place, mass media tell people what to think, tracking of everybody...... via camera, satellites, mobile devices, facebook / google etc, TVs and home appliances that you can speak to and then can listen in..... Alexa, TVs. Winston Smith would now work at Wikipedia / Google where History can be rewritten in seconds.

I remember seeing HG Wells "Time Machine" with Rod Taylor where he jumped forward into a time where "unmanned Satellites" would attack and drop atomic bombs............... for Satellites see Drones.
Is this one even though written well before 1984 was.

I am curious as to what book or books people see as possibly showing what the future could hold.

Has our future already been written, just we have not as yet understood it ?

gleeful

I read a book in the 90's called "Richter 10". Its a great read but at the time some things seemed silly or over the top. For example: there is an islamic terrorist attack which is live streamed on the internet.

It ends up with widespread social breakdown in the US and a foreign power arranges for their chosen candidate to become president. That person gets a sex change and end up falling in love, and marrying, a computer program.

Well, ok. Some of it didn't happen yet.

eoghanacht

Eh, G Orwell's 1984.

Spirit Of Newgrange

The Road by Cormac McCarthy

Old Mr Grouser

The way the world is going now those cheap thrillers with a Yellow Peril theme, such as the Fu Manchu books, might turn out to have been prophetic.

[video=youtube;k6t1xQhzuLk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6t1xQhzuLk[/video]

[video=youtube;S8Va_K4Omkc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8Va_K4Omkc[/video]

D

Deleted member 48908

The way the world is going now those cheap thrillers with a Yellow Peril theme, such as the Fu Manchu books, might turn out to have been prophetic.

[video=youtube;k6t1xQhzuLk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6t1xQhzuLk[/video]

[video=youtube;S8Va_K4Omkc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8Va_K4Omkc[/video]
Yellow peril? G'wan outta that.

[video=youtube;1_I4WgBfETc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_I4WgBfETc[/video]

It's all reds under the bed these times.

PC Principle

George Orwell's classic 1984 has pretty much laid out what Society would become......... its date in title was out but not by that many decades.

A retrospective look at it shows that it was a : Seminal book - Highly influential in an original way; constituting or providing a basis for further development:

Many of the ideas for Govt control are in place, mass media tell people what to think, tracking of everybody...... via camera, satellites, mobile devices, facebook / google etc, TVs and home appliances that you can speak to and then can listen in..... Alexa, TVs. Winston Smith would now work at Wikipedia / Google where History can be rewritten in seconds.

I remember seeing HG Wells "Time Machine" with Rod Taylor where he jumped forward into a time where "unmanned Satellites" would attack and drop atomic bombs............... for Satellites see Drones.

I am curious as to what book or books people see as possibly showing what the future could hold.

The Koran.

Destiny's Soldier

Without Question

Minority Report - the whole area of pre-crime. So much of it is right on the nail.
The pre cogs are scifi but the concepts are spot on.

This one also comes to mind.

Last edited:

Spirit Of Newgrange

Unibomber Ted Kaplinski - Industrial Society and its Future.

Degeneration X

Hmm...modern society isn't much like "1984" at all there is no Oceania or Ingsoc. There has been no atomic wars, no attempt to eliminate the orgasm or replace English with Newsspeak. Then again it was written as a warning as to what might happen if people didn't do something to stop Totalitarianism.

I'd say Huxley's Brave New World comes a lot closer to being a prophecy on the modern world, IMHO.

"The Machine Stops" by E M Forster has also proved quite prescient.

"Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card was one book from the 1980s that really saw the internet coming and how it could be manipulated for political purposes.

There is a lot of stuff in "Ready Player One" by Cline I can see coming to pass - with the virtual world currency of "the Oasis" becoming more valuable than the real world currencies, people being educated and working entirely online and the elections to rule cyberspace becoming more important than the elections in the real world.

The television series "Black Mirror" is also full of frighteningly realistic scenarios for the near future, IMO.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies