• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

What one event in history would you change if you could?

RahenyFG

Crazy thought, suppose you were able to go back in time and change just one event in history what would it be?
It was tempting for me to say stop Diarmait Mac Murchada asking for King Henry II's help in regaining his kingdom which would eventually lead to the 800 year English conquest of Ireland, stop Lee Harvey Oswald from assassinating JFK or stop the Ulster Plantation from happening but I chose stopping the death of Michael Collins.
The trajectory of Irish history was no doubt greatly changed by his death. I think he could have been Taoiseach. He might have got a peaceful settlement from the Civil War which might have saved lives and possibly united Sinn Féin meaning we wouldn't have had the civil war politics we currently have today or he could have led the pro treaty Sinn Féin side with more focus on the democratic programme which the Cumann na nGaedhael government largely neglected or maybe his leadership wouldn't seen Fianna Fáil largely dominate Free State/Republic of Ireland politics. We may not have had De Valera as Taoiseach with his protectionism that destroyed the country and took years for it to recover.

ruserious

If we changed the smallest thing from history, none of us born after would be here, so I'd change nothing at all.

He3

Nazi rise to power.

Bea C

I'm not one of these anti-Dev types, but I think it's a pity he didn't go earlier.
Given Lemass a longer reign.

Marcos the black

The plantation of Ulster.

drummed

Drowned Stalin when he was a child.

max99

The Rwandan Genocide, in just three months, an estimated 800,000 people were massacred in the Rwandan genocide of 1994...

Last edited:

commonman

We should never have done away with the property tax in this country.

drummed

We should never have done away with the property tax in this country.
In the entire history of human existence that's the one thing you'd change?

Analyzer will be here in a minute to say he would'nt have paid the bondholders:)

What's 50 million Russians compared to that disaster?

D

Dylan2010

none, butterfly effect and all that, leave history exactly the way it happened

RahenyFG

I'm not one of these anti-Dev types, but I think it's a pity he didn't go earlier.
Given Lemass a longer reign.
Now that I agree with.

Kev408

The creation of organised man made religion.

Lempo

There was once this time travelling film where dude went back in time to kill Fuehrer in order to prevent all the terrible things. He succeeds but upon returning to his own time he will learn that failed artist named Adolf Hitler had just stepped into the Fuehrer's place.

There would probably have been dozens of other uber-tovaritsh-wannabees had Stalin been removed from the picture. Russians like strong-man leaders. The liberal ones seemed to go into grave bitter and prematurely.

Ex celt

Margaret Thatcher surrendering to the hunger strikers. She should have let them all commit suicide. She was far too namby pamby.

commonman

In the entire history of human existence that's the one thing you'd change?

Analyzer will be here in a minute to say he would'nt have paid the bondholders:)

Analyzer is right by the way.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies