• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

What possible advice could Finian McGrath have got from AG to make him do a blatant U-Turn on water charges?

bazlad

What possible advice could Finian McGrath have got from AG to make him do a blatant U-Turn on water charges?

Finian McGrath, after opposing water charges for years, says he will pay on the advice of the AG.

What possible advice could she have provided that would make him change his position, after years of legal advice being publically discussed.

This is obviously a response to Enda telling him, pay or get kicked out of government, 1 week after being appointed where he claimed to have 'gotten' what he was elected for.

Will he publish the AG opinion so we can all have a biblical 'Revelation' and disown our principles?

Skypeme

Probably along the lines pay up, shut up and leave Trotskyite "mobilisation" politics in the gutter where it belongs, or words to that effect I would guess.

Tawdy

Finian McGrath, after opposing water charges for years, says he will pay on the advice of the AG.

What possible advice could she have provided that would make him change his position, after years of legal advice being publically discussed.

This is obviously a response to Enda telling him, pay or get kicked out of government, 1 week after being appointed where he claimed to have 'gotten' what he was elected for.

Will he publish the AG opinion so we can all have a biblical 'Revelation' and disown our principles?

What ever advice given by the AG, here is my advice. You abandon your long stated and held principles at your peril.

JacquesHughes

Did we just see the victory of 'self interest for one' over 'principle for all'?

Sister Mercedes

She probably reminded him she was a senior counsel and 2.5 seconds of her advice would cost him more than his water bill.

freewillie

I reckon the advice was as follows. Pay up as this wont go away. Knock as much as you can out of the system now you have your head in the trough. A couple of days expenses will cover the water tax. Your constituents will forget about it. These are the people who gave us Ivor Callely

johnnypockets

He's not the only politician to have done so since they were elected. The election is now over. Why do people fall for it over and over and over...

Accidental sock

Every time you pay your water charges, an angel gets its wings

greengoose2

Well worth a read!
Eventually, a sheepish-looking McGrath grabbed his briefcase and ran out of the room. Deputies fell around the place
Deputy Pat Rabbitte: Information Zoom Let the record show Deputy Finian McGrath left the room himself. Over the past five days, he has demonstrated extraordinary energy and parliamentary skill in drafting amendments. However, when he is required to support them, he either absents himself or votes against it. It is unusual practice.

edifice.

He flip flopped on Lisbon also if memory serves me. Seems strange to go to the Labour party for legal advice on Water Charges.

Gin Soaked

Jesus. That is the embodiment of gombeen-ism.

When people make comments about not being fit to govern, that is what they are talking about.

I hate the way IW was set up. But our reaction to it has been worse. No sense of perspective. And much of the rest of the developed world have a water utility.

But they also have health systems and affordable, controlled, civilised rental markets.

Perspective gap or me-fein attitude.

Homeless people and those renting rooms in slums can't coalesce into a constituency.

greengoose2

This fake government needs careful, constant scrutiny. Finian, Naughten and co. need to be kept in the line of fire. A government nobody wanted headed by a taoiseach nobody wanted and a gang of independents who are anything but. I hopr their constituents will remember then in the forthcoming election when it bloe=ws up in their collective faces!

sadcitizen

It's a pathetic U-turn. And it just goes to show that there's no room for coalition or compromise with the big parties, if you want to play along with them in government then your principles need to go in the bin, even if you're not subject to an ideology or party whip.

Here's Finian's number 1 reason for voting independent:

Finian is only answerable to you the citizen and taxpayer. He is not accountable to any political party or vested interests.
Well.... The next election can't come fast enough, here's hoping that FF's fear continues to rise.

cricket

Shinners who have little more than a fleeting regard for law compliance and alphabetters who are just state- subsidised protesters might have difficulty with the concept of law-makers upholding the law.
The rest of us get it.

O

Oscurito

This fake government needs careful, constant scrutiny. Finian, Naughten and co. need to be kept in the line of fire. A government nobody wanted headed by a taoiseach nobody wanted and a gang of independents who are anything but. I hopr their constituents will remember then in the forthcoming election when it bloe=ws up in their collective faces!
Well.....let's just say he's widely disliked. However, going by vote share, it seems that the people wanted the alternatives even less.

HarshBuzz

She probably said something hurtful about his insecure little mustache.

O

Oscurito

BREAKING: I've just received a copy of the correspondence Finian Mc sent. The AG's response is below.

Dear Attorney General

Is it a problem if I continue to break the law?

Yours sincerely

Finian McGrath (TD).

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies