What possible advice could Finian McGrath have got from AG to make him do a blatant U-Turn on water charges?

johnnypockets

Politicians tell people what they want to hear to get elected.
This may or may not be their true position on an issue.
People fall for it everytime.
The same people then bitch and moan and say they won't be caught out again.
They invariably are.

SPN

Finian McGrath, after opposing water charges for years, says he will pay on the advice of the AG.

What possible advice could she have provided that would make him change his position, after years of legal advice being publically discussed.

This is obviously a response to Enda telling him, pay or get kicked out of government, 1 week after being appointed where he claimed to have 'gotten' what he was elected for.

Will he publish the AG opinion so we can all have a biblical 'Revelation' and disown our principles?
75% of voters in the 2011 General Election voted for water to be paid for based on usage.

That was the democratic wish of the majority of people, and it was reflected in the law(s) passed by the Oireachtas in relation to water.

McGrath may not like it, but it is still the law.

As a Minister he needs to be compliant with the law.

The alternative is to make laws optional. Pick and choose which ones you want to apply to you.

Not a good way to go.

Levellers

McGrath and Murphy both slated SF for not asking people to refuse to pay and only asking them to protest. Now both have paid.

damus

75% of voters in the 2011 General Election voted for water to be paid for based on usage.

That was the democratic wish of the majority of people, and it was reflected in the law(s) passed by the Oireachtas in relation to water.

McGrath may not like it, but it is still the law.

As a Minister he needs to be compliant with the law.

The alternative is to make laws optional. Pick and choose which ones you want to apply to you.

Not a good way to go.
They also voted for free GP care, UHI and a one tiered health system by the same account! Now what's the laws on ministers responsibilities re: correct expense claims? Does the AG have any advice in respect to what it is when a minister knowingly submits claims for taking the scenic route in to work as opposed to the shortest route from A-B? Does Enda have anything to say about TD's and members of cabinet submitting creative expense claims?

SPN

They also voted for free GP care, UHI and a one tiered health system by the same account!
I think those were the policies of one party.

Fixing the problems with the water system was a policy of four political parties.

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
The AG is the advisor to the Government, viz the full Cabinet

Thus I don't see how the AG could have given legal advise to Finian, and I can't see how it might be privileged

Also if Finian was made aware of privileged advice that the AG made to the government, then I'd consider such contrary to Bunreacht and certain statute

Cyp

stopdoingstuff

I must have missed that referendum, because a general election is not an endorsement of a specific policy. If it were, it would mean that any government that did anything contrary to their manifesto was acting illegally.

Seanie Lemass

While it is easy to slag Finian and rightly so - people who made water charges paid to a state utility company providing a vital service that costs over a billion a year the key issue and allegedly a test of "left wing" credability, are worse.

It was total opportunism. I'd say SF are kicking themselves that they allowed themselves to be brow beaten into a stupid position by the likes of Je Suis Derek. They were then outwitted on the issue by FF of all people :)

Utopian Hermit Monk

Advice from AG: "If I were you, Finian, I'd think long and hard about that Ministerial pension".

damus

I think those were the policies of one party.

Fixing the problems with the water system was a policy of four political parties.
They were FG policies - not too sure about Lab - but they were contained within the PFG of FG/Lab.

stakerwallace

McGrath and Murphy both slated SF for not asking people to refuse to pay and only asking them to protest. Now both have paid.

never underestimate the flexibility of principled members of the hard left

ireallyshouldknowbetter

McGrath knows he's not getting re-elected so he might as well just ditch policies that appeal to people who won't vote for him as a FG supporting Indo anyway. Maybe the sure knowledge that he has only one more term in the Dail will liberate him to achieve things in office, who knows?

callas

Finian McGrath, after opposing water charges for years, says he will pay on the advice of the AG.

What possible advice could she have provided that would make him change his position, after years of legal advice being publically discussed.

This is obviously a response to Enda telling him, pay or get kicked out of government, 1 week after being appointed where he claimed to have 'gotten' what he was elected for.

Will he publish the AG opinion so we can all have a biblical 'Revelation' and disown our principles?

Good Old Finian.

Has to go to the very top to get the very best legal advice.

I suppose you have put aside your objections and join the cabinet to get that kind of service.

Congalltee

It's funny that the phrase the law must be objeyed wasn't uttered when the Oireachtas waited 20 years to comply with the x case judgment or when environmental damage is caused by state policies or when the commission decided Apple owes us taxes or when mobile phone licences were awarded, etc

hellsbells

Well , we could hardly expect finian to leave the trough now could we .

Notachipanoaktree

He got advice that in Ireland when in Government, the 'Oath of Omerta' applies. What the hell else advice would you expect from the Attorney General......in Ireland.

Last edited:

im axeled

the ag said, put the water bill on your expenses, that way you can say you did not pay them, then in another 60 seconds she described life at the trough v life without it, with such advice for free how could he refuse it

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies