What rare vinyl records do you possess which might be valuable now?

nationalsday

Has anyone got any valuable/rare vinyl records in their cubby-holes?

Probably not worth a bob, but I have:

Wayne County and the Electric Chairs - Blatantly Offensive 7" EP in puke-coloured vinyl from 1977

Notable first song on A side simply entitled "F*ck Off"

I have 12" Sid Vicious and the Sex Pistols No One Is Innocent (1978) - B side My Way by Sid Vicious / B-side - The Biggest Blow A punk Prayer by Ronnie Biggs

Public Image Limited 7" - first issue (1978) with fake newspaper cover b/side Jah Wobble - the Cowboy Song

And I have pink vinyl 12" Rolling Stones - Miss You

Only worth about 50p, the whole lot but I live in hope...

Anyone else?

12 bens

Has anyone got any valuable/rare vinyl records in their cubby-holes?

Probably not worth a bob, but I have:

Wayne County and the Electric Chairs - Blatantly Offensive 7" EP in puke-coloured vinyl from 1977

Notable first song on A side simply entitled "F*ck Off"

I have 12" Sid Vicious and the Sex Pistols No One Is Innocent (1978) - B side My Way by Sid Vicious / B-side - The Biggest Blow A punk Prayer by Ronnie Biggs

Public Image Limited 7" - first issue (1978) with fake newspaper cover b/side Jah Wobble - the Cowboy Song

And I have pink vinyl 12" Rolling Stones - Miss You

Only worth about 50p, the whole lot but I live in hope...

Anyone else?
I was offered £100 for their satanic majesties request by the stones with the 3d cover.

publicrealm

1976 Supply, Demand and Curve - great album

[video=youtube;lBK4AdFLu4Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBK4AdFLu4Y[/video]

1975 Consort of St Sepulchre - an oddity.

EUrJokingMeRight

Have original release on 7 inch of every FF/FG/LAB election promise mashed into a mere 3 minutes.

Probably 3 euro to pick one up but priceless to me.

I'll never part with it.

gerhard dengler

Literally tonnes of vinyl records.

First edition of The Last Waltz (the band) LP from 1976.
Music from The Big Pink.

I was bequeathed a full set of original/first issue Beatles LP's from the 1960's.

I'm a hoarder when it comes to stuff generally. Books, posters, records (on all formats).

I've literally tonnes of LP's on vinyl:D

SamsonS

Original issue Sgt Peppers. Bought by an aunt in London around release date.

Pixies Doolittle with the booklet. I had some notion that the first issue was limited to 30000 copies that had the booklet.

Have a few more, but think they'd be the only ones might have some value.

nationalsday

2012 Article from Guardian:-

Britain's rarest record – yours for £200,000
The 2014 edition of the Rare Record Guide lists 100,000 UK vinyl releases, from mindbendingly obscure 60s psych to ultra-rare Beatles and Sex Pistols acetates. But who collects these gems?

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2012/nov/22/britains-rarest-record-yours-200000

20 John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band You Know My Name Look Up The Number/What's The New Mary Jane? (1969, Apple APPLES 1002) £3,000
The A-side was a Beatles track, but after completing his version on 26 November 1969, Lennon planned to issue it as a solo 7in. The other Beatles prevailed upon him and a Beatles version was coupled with Let It Be. The B-side to this acetate featured Lennon, Harrison and Ono "out of our heads on the floor at EMI" – a wonderful psychedelic musical experiment.

19 John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band Unfinished Music No 1: Two Virgins (1968 Apple APCOR 2) £3,000
In the wake of the boldness that was "The White Album", it was no surprise that McCartney and Lennon began to explore tape loops. John found a new muse in Yoko and this album emerged out of a crazed all-night session where she could wail "who's theeeerree?" and Lennon could ape Peter Sellers and retort, "It's just me, Hilda!" Lennon insisted on a release and EMI relented. They were especially reticent when Lennon submitted the naked photo he wanted to use for the cover. Most of these mono copies were destroyed when Lennon demanded that the record be remixed in stereo.

18 Tinkerbells Fairydust Tinkerbells Fairydust (1969 Decca LK/SKL 5028) £3,000
This East End band cut their teeth on the pub circuit as the Rush, with two flop singles for Decca. Their working of Spanky and Our Gang's Lazy Day tapped into the psychedelic vibe, so producer Vic Smith suggested a new name and it was released as by Tinkerbells Fairydust. Lazy Day and a follow-up did not hit, and album sessions were halted after eight songs. The band was dropped by Decca. Test pressings were made of this 13-track LP, as well as a small number of albums with labels in finished sleeves. There are four known copies of the finished LP with labels.

17 Toby Tyler The Road I'm On (Gloria)/Blowin' In The Wind (1964, acetate) £3,000
The name "Marc Feld" is crossed out on the label of this acetate and "Toby Tyler" has been hand-written. Tyler became Marc Bolan. Both tracks were recorded in December 1964 at Maximum Sound.

16 Queen Bohemian Rhapsody/I'm In Love With My Car (1978, EMI, EMI 2375) £3,500
Price is for the hand-numbered blue vinyl single alone (see entry numbers 15 and eight).

15 Queen Bohemian Rhapsody/I'm in Love With My Car (1978, EMI, EMI 2375) £3,800
Price is for a copy in a pic sleeve in an EMI "carrying envelope".

14 Billy Nicholls Would You Believe (1968, Immediate IMCP 009) £4,000
Andrew Loog Oldham's label collapsed in 1968 and the only survivors were these 100 finished promo copies of this album. The grooves were packed with psych-tinged pop, with guest appearances from the Small Faces, Nicky Hopkins and an orchestra. A copy sold on eBay for £7,312 in 2009 and a VG+ copy went for £3,212 in 2007.

13 Dark Round the Edges (1972, SIS 0102) £4,000
This band get an entry with a private pressing of their album: 12 copies in colour sleeves and booklet inserts – super-rare.

12 John's Children Midsummer Night's Scene /Sara Crazy Child (1967, Track 604005) £4,000
Marc Bolan was briefly in John's Children. Midsummer Night's Scene was intended as their fourth single, but was withdrawn: stock copies are impossible to find.

11 The Beatles Please Please Me (1963 Parlophone PCS 3042) £4,500
In previous guides, we have given the same price for first and second stereo pressings of Please Please Me, but in this edition we give the first a slight edge over this second pressing with the right Northern Song publishing credits.

10 Sex Pistols Anarchy in the UK (1976, acetate) £5,000
A one-sided acetate from 1976 featuring the version of this punk classic cut during the band's stay with EMI. Has sold for £12,000.

9 The Beatles Love Me Do/PS I Love You (1962, Parlophone 45-R 4949) £5,000
Demo copies of the first Beatles single have soared from £3,000 to £5,000 from the last guide, cementing its position as the most sought-after single by the group. Only 250 copies were pressed in 1962 to secure airplay and reviews for Parlophone's latest signing. Paul's name was spelt "McArtney". A copy sold for £12,000 in 2012.

8 Queen Bohemian Rhapsody/ I'm in Love With my Car (1978 EMI 2375) £5,000
Back to 1978 when EMI won a Queen's Award For Industry, celebrating in fine style at a dinner in Selfridges in London's West End. This special limited blue-vinyl edition 7in of Queen's best-known recording was limited to 200 copies and given away to guests, executives and, probably, the band. As well as the vinyl there was a goblet, handkerchief, menu cards, boxes of matches – even a pen. This price is for the lot.

7 The Beatles Please Please Me (1963, Parlophone PCS 3042) £5,000
Parlophone had used the black/gold label for all album releases from 1957. The release of the Beatles' debut coincided with a decision to redesign the label with a fresher yellow/black design from March 1963. By that time, the first two pressings of Please Please Me had been manufactured on black/gold labels. EMI made a small pressing of each batch in stereo, and this first pressing has famed Dick James Music credits.

6 The Beatles The Beatles (1968, Apple PMC/PCS 7067/8) £7,000
This two-LP set holds the distinction of topping the charts upon release and being the rarest LP in the UK. What makes it so collectable is the decision by sleeve designer Richard Hamilton – in conjunction with Paul McCartney – to brand each copy with a unique number, thus every edition of "The White Album" – mono or stereo – was limited. Beatles collectors lust for low numbers and, back in November 2009, a mono 0000005 sold for £19,201, sleeve in VG condition.

5 Sex Pistols Anarchy In The UK/No Fun (1977, acetate) £7,000
There are three known copies of this item.

4 Sex Pistols God Save the Queen/No Feelings (1977, A&M AMS 7284) £8,000
Though 20,000 A&M copies of God Save the Queen were pressed, most were destroyed, making it vitally collectable.

3 Sex Pistols God Save the Queen/No Feelings (1977, acetate) £10,000
These few acetates were deployed by the late Malcolm McLaren to secure the band a new deal and gigs after the EMI debacle. Priced at £6,000 in the RRPG 2012, they have increased in value by 60% in the wake of one selling for £12,630.

2 The Quarry Men That'll Be The Day/In Spite of All the Danger (1981, 7in 45rpm and 10in 78rpm replicas of 1958 acetate in reproduction die-cut Parlophone sleeve) £10,000
In 1981, John Duff Lowe sold Paul McCartney the Quarry Men acetate for an undisclosed sum. McCartney took the acetate to Abbey Road for restoration, removing pops and clicks before making a private pressing of 20 to 25 copies on 10in and 30 to 50 on 45rpm 7in. The labels reproduced the original with no mention of the Quarry Men. At Christmas, George, Ringo and others received copies. It has never materialised on eBay.

1 The Quarry Men That'll Be The Day/In Spite of All the Danger (1958, acetate) £200,000

Ardillaun

My whole collection, admittedly worthless to anyone but me, was binned by the parents when they moved. AND my toy trains. The price of exile.

tipofdiceberg

2012 Article from Guardian:-

Britain's rarest record – yours for £200,000
The 2014 edition of the Rare Record Guide lists 100,000 UK vinyl releases, from mindbendingly obscure 60s psych to ultra-rare Beatles and Sex Pistols acetates. But who collects these gems?

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2012/nov/22/britains-rarest-record-yours-200000

20 John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band You Know My Name Look Up The Number/What's The New Mary Jane? (1969, Apple APPLES 1002) £3,000
The A-side was a Beatles track, but after completing his version on 26 November 1969, Lennon planned to issue it as a solo 7in. The other Beatles prevailed upon him and a Beatles version was coupled with Let It Be. The B-side to this acetate featured Lennon, Harrison and Ono "out of our heads on the floor at EMI" – a wonderful psychedelic musical experiment.

19 John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band Unfinished Music No 1: Two Virgins (1968 Apple APCOR 2) £3,000
In the wake of the boldness that was "The White Album", it was no surprise that McCartney and Lennon began to explore tape loops. John found a new muse in Yoko and this album emerged out of a crazed all-night session where she could wail "who's theeeerree?" and Lennon could ape Peter Sellers and retort, "It's just me, Hilda!" Lennon insisted on a release and EMI relented. They were especially reticent when Lennon submitted the naked photo he wanted to use for the cover. Most of these mono copies were destroyed when Lennon demanded that the record be remixed in stereo.

18 Tinkerbells Fairydust Tinkerbells Fairydust (1969 Decca LK/SKL 5028) £3,000
This East End band cut their teeth on the pub circuit as the Rush, with two flop singles for Decca. Their working of Spanky and Our Gang's Lazy Day tapped into the psychedelic vibe, so producer Vic Smith suggested a new name and it was released as by Tinkerbells Fairydust. Lazy Day and a follow-up did not hit, and album sessions were halted after eight songs. The band was dropped by Decca. Test pressings were made of this 13-track LP, as well as a small number of albums with labels in finished sleeves. There are four known copies of the finished LP with labels.

17 Toby Tyler The Road I'm On (Gloria)/Blowin' In The Wind (1964, acetate) £3,000
The name "Marc Feld" is crossed out on the label of this acetate and "Toby Tyler" has been hand-written. Tyler became Marc Bolan. Both tracks were recorded in December 1964 at Maximum Sound.

16 Queen Bohemian Rhapsody/I'm In Love With My Car (1978, EMI, EMI 2375) £3,500
Price is for the hand-numbered blue vinyl single alone (see entry numbers 15 and eight).

15 Queen Bohemian Rhapsody/I'm in Love With My Car (1978, EMI, EMI 2375) £3,800
Price is for a copy in a pic sleeve in an EMI "carrying envelope".

14 Billy Nicholls Would You Believe (1968, Immediate IMCP 009) £4,000
Andrew Loog Oldham's label collapsed in 1968 and the only survivors were these 100 finished promo copies of this album. The grooves were packed with psych-tinged pop, with guest appearances from the Small Faces, Nicky Hopkins and an orchestra. A copy sold on eBay for £7,312 in 2009 and a VG+ copy went for £3,212 in 2007.

13 Dark Round the Edges (1972, SIS 0102) £4,000
This band get an entry with a private pressing of their album: 12 copies in colour sleeves and booklet inserts – super-rare.

12 John's Children Midsummer Night's Scene /Sara Crazy Child (1967, Track 604005) £4,000
Marc Bolan was briefly in John's Children. Midsummer Night's Scene was intended as their fourth single, but was withdrawn: stock copies are impossible to find.

11 The Beatles Please Please Me (1963 Parlophone PCS 3042) £4,500
In previous guides, we have given the same price for first and second stereo pressings of Please Please Me, but in this edition we give the first a slight edge over this second pressing with the right Northern Song publishing credits.

10 Sex Pistols Anarchy in the UK (1976, acetate) £5,000
A one-sided acetate from 1976 featuring the version of this punk classic cut during the band's stay with EMI. Has sold for £12,000.

9 The Beatles Love Me Do/PS I Love You (1962, Parlophone 45-R 4949) £5,000
Demo copies of the first Beatles single have soared from £3,000 to £5,000 from the last guide, cementing its position as the most sought-after single by the group. Only 250 copies were pressed in 1962 to secure airplay and reviews for Parlophone's latest signing. Paul's name was spelt "McArtney". A copy sold for £12,000 in 2012.

8 Queen Bohemian Rhapsody/ I'm in Love With my Car (1978 EMI 2375) £5,000
Back to 1978 when EMI won a Queen's Award For Industry, celebrating in fine style at a dinner in Selfridges in London's West End. This special limited blue-vinyl edition 7in of Queen's best-known recording was limited to 200 copies and given away to guests, executives and, probably, the band. As well as the vinyl there was a goblet, handkerchief, menu cards, boxes of matches – even a pen. This price is for the lot.

7 The Beatles Please Please Me (1963, Parlophone PCS 3042) £5,000
Parlophone had used the black/gold label for all album releases from 1957. The release of the Beatles' debut coincided with a decision to redesign the label with a fresher yellow/black design from March 1963. By that time, the first two pressings of Please Please Me had been manufactured on black/gold labels. EMI made a small pressing of each batch in stereo, and this first pressing has famed Dick James Music credits.

6 The Beatles The Beatles (1968, Apple PMC/PCS 7067/8) £7,000
This two-LP set holds the distinction of topping the charts upon release and being the rarest LP in the UK. What makes it so collectable is the decision by sleeve designer Richard Hamilton – in conjunction with Paul McCartney – to brand each copy with a unique number, thus every edition of "The White Album" – mono or stereo – was limited. Beatles collectors lust for low numbers and, back in November 2009, a mono 0000005 sold for £19,201, sleeve in VG condition.

5 Sex Pistols Anarchy In The UK/No Fun (1977, acetate) £7,000
There are three known copies of this item.

4 Sex Pistols God Save the Queen/No Feelings (1977, A&M AMS 7284) £8,000
Though 20,000 A&M copies of God Save the Queen were pressed, most were destroyed, making it vitally collectable.

3 Sex Pistols God Save the Queen/No Feelings (1977, acetate) £10,000
These few acetates were deployed by the late Malcolm McLaren to secure the band a new deal and gigs after the EMI debacle. Priced at £6,000 in the RRPG 2012, they have increased in value by 60% in the wake of one selling for £12,630.

2 The Quarry Men That'll Be The Day/In Spite of All the Danger (1981, 7in 45rpm and 10in 78rpm replicas of 1958 acetate in reproduction die-cut Parlophone sleeve) £10,000
In 1981, John Duff Lowe sold Paul McCartney the Quarry Men acetate for an undisclosed sum. McCartney took the acetate to Abbey Road for restoration, removing pops and clicks before making a private pressing of 20 to 25 copies on 10in and 30 to 50 on 45rpm 7in. The labels reproduced the original with no mention of the Quarry Men. At Christmas, George, Ringo and others received copies. It has never materialised on eBay.

1 The Quarry Men That'll Be The Day/In Spite of All the Danger (1958, acetate) £200,000
FROM THEN TO YOU - The Beatles Christmas Record - 1970 LP.
The Official Beatles Fan Club.

Pantomime - Everywhere It's Christmas - 1966 Single - The Beatles Fourth Christmas Record.

Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour - 1967 EP - Parlophone/EMI

The Beatles - 1965 - Parlophone/EMI LP.

The Beatles At The Hollywood Bowl - Parlophone/EMI LP

Beatles - Abby Road LP - 1969 - Apple

Beatles - A Hard Days Night LP - Mono - 1964 - Parlophone.

Beatles - Rubber Soul LP - 1965 - Parlophone.

Beatles - SGT. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band LP - 1967 - Parlophone

The Beatles Again - Apple LP.

The Beatles/1962-1966/Red Album - Double Album - Apple/EMI
The Beatles/1967-1970/Blue Album - Double Album - Apple/EMI

Wedding Album - John and Yoko - 1969 - Apple, including copy of marriage certificate.

George Harrison - All Things Must Pass, box set of three Albums - 1970 Apple

Golden Beatles Book 1 - Northern Songs, lyrics to 50 Beatles songs.
Golden Beatles Book 2 - Northern Songs, lyrics to 50 Beatles songs.

The Beatles Show - 1965 Programme of concert with the Moody Blues, Paramounts, Beryl Marsden, Marionettes, Jerry Stevens and the Koobas

Yoko Ono - Walking On Thin Ice - Single -1981 - Geffen Records

Manfred Mann - For Sale/Semi-Detached Suburban LP - EMI

Noel Purcell - Brendan Behan/Rare Old Times - Single - 1958 - Dolphin Records.

Plus many many more.

May sell a few to a good home.

statsman

Original mono pressings of Blond on Blond and Highway 61 Revisited, and loads of other 60s rarities. and this odd thing:

Verhofstadt

Website
My whole collection, admittedly worthless to anyone but me, was binned by the parents when they moved. AND my toy trains. The price of exile.
Feel your pain.. I, too, am that soldier.

along with every issue of Hot Press from 1989 to 1995

SEAMAI

I didn't know that - going to hear them play in St Mary's Abbey Ardee next Saturday :)
If it's half as good as their performance of Handel's Messiah I attended in Cork a few years ago at the Triskel Christchurch you're in for a treat.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies