What Referendum Would You Like To See Voted On?

General Urko

BTW I'm excluding Repeal the 8th (and I support repeal!) or any abortion related one, so if that's what you want give the forum your second preference!
We apparently hold more referenda than any other country except of course The Swiss!
I think there is one which we need urgently and that is to deal with the pension system.
Going by Vincent Browne as a source, New Zeland abolished public sector pensions, tax benefits for pensions, which of course are both vastly skewed to the wealthiest people in society and paid for by everyone else, so now every citizen there has a decent pension!
I think dealing with this massively Apartheidal aspect of our society in this way, would get massive public support, it would remove (when passed) legal obstacles protecting bollóck actors and it would be laughable seeing the treacherous bought off trade union movement threatening to get arsey! And state old age pension age would be at a civilised age!
It's very easy for those who have had extraordinary soft easy lives like those who make decisions such as upping the retirement age for everybody else to 70, to claim 65 is the new 45, well it is for those scumbags!
I throw it open to you my fellow P.iesters!

Dame_Enda

A referendum on the right of adult bodily autonomy of all able bodied adult persons of sound mind.

D

Deleted member 48908

Article 68. ~ 29.

That the Fermanagh Wan shall only be freed as long as shiel be persecuted.

NYCKY

I would like to see a referendum on having Cabinet members chosen from outside of parliament or at least that they be forced to resign from parliament if appointed to the Cabinet. Also, having them all individually confirmed by the Dail.

Right now, there is no meaningful separation of the legislative and the executive and that presents inherent conflicts.

General Urko

I would like to see a referendum on having Cabinet members chosen from outside of parliament or at least that they be forced to resign from parliament if appointed to the Cabinet. Also, having them all individually confirmed by the Dail.

Right now, there is no meaningful separation of the legislative and the executive and that presents inherent conflicts.
We had Garret The Good's Buddy, Jim Dooge, as a Government MInister, in his first cabinet and Garrett appointed him to the senate. Apparently there was frothing @ the mouth resentment from Blueshirt TDs over this!
In The Netherlands, once you become a Government Minister, you have to resigmn as a constituency MP!
And in France, you can be appointed PM without ever having held any elected office, can you imagine the likes of The Lovely Batty Chick becoming Taoiseach after having being rejected to out of number by the Dáil Electorate!:mad:

General Urko

A referendum on the right of adult bodily autonomy of all able bodied adult persons of sound mind.
Dame, I think the right to bodily autonomy is already a constitutional right, bizarre then the a law (the sex worker hating one) can be introduced when it is generally known and was in advance that it will cause harm to sex workers, which of course it has done!

edwin

Essentially you can have outsiders via Taoiseach's nominees to the Seanad who he can then appoint Minister. I think Finance Minister has to be from the Dail and there may be restrictions on the number of seanad ministers but the point is allowing it doesn't mean it will be used!

edwin

I'm pretty sure that's already allowed (if you think the eighth means otherwise then I disagree strongly but let's respect OP's wish to leave abortion out of it).

Norman Bates

Twitter
norman60bates
To reduce the number of TDs, so that

there will be no more than one TD representing forty-five thousand and no less than one TD representing fifty thousand of the population

and get rid of those Ministers of State special payments ...

they should be ecstatic to get the opportunity of an apprenticeship.

Also, no laws enacted excluding Members of the Oireachtas from its effects. They are bound by the same laws as everyone else.

Last edited:

NYCKY

Essentially you can have outsiders via Taoiseach's nominees to the Seanad who he can then appoint Minister. I think Finance Minister has to be from the Dail and there may be restrictions on the number of seanad ministers but the point is allowing it doesn't mean it will be used!
Yes, Ministers can come from the Seanad and be appointed to the Seanad for elevation to the Cabinet. As far as I know, there are limitations on the number of Cabinet members from the Seanad, I think it's three and it can't include the Taoiseach, Tanaiste or Minister for Finance (could be wrong on this though).

My point is that I would prefer to see none of the Cabinet from either the Dail or the Seanad, or more precisely serving in the same bodies simultaneously.

FunkyBoogaloo

I would like referenda in the following areas:

Pensions,
Political structure of Ireland (I think we should federate, along provincial lines mainly) - ergo a new constitution
Elections at least every four years, instead of 5.
Euro membership (alongside EU membership).
Removal of TDs
Remove God from the document (except freedom of religion).
Removal of religious control of schools.

Just a few off the top of my head.

Henry94.

A referendum on the continuation TV licence. As an alternative I would proposed a limited ad free single channel public service broadcaster funded by a levy on all advertising.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Some very good suggestions here I think. I would add that I would like to see a referendum question on abolishing the Taoiseach's Nominee system for appointments to the Senate.

I would also like to see Senate elections with all citizens enfranchised to vote, with the aim of bolstering the chamber as a proper instrument for oversight of the Dail.

If necessary legally I would like to see the cross-party PAC charged with an expanded role and wider powers to summon witnesses to appear before it. And for PAC to be able to deploy sanctions via recommendations to the DPP.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
The introduction of a formal plea-bargaining system and the introduction of a RICO Act (racketeering in concert with others) to combat white collar crime and corruption.

Polybius

Another referendum to abolish the Seanad. People can't be dumb enough to retain it a second time.

Outlaw101

To keep water in public ownership.

Given that they reckon wars are going to be fought over water, such will be its scarcity, I don't think that handing our water to some Oligarch is a great idea. Eventually Water will be priced per barrel and the price set by the international markets and we will end up having to pay a fortune for our water, if we can even compete with peoples of wealthier nations. Plus I'd much rather the fortunes that will be made selling water ended up in the governments pockets rather than securing the privileged positions of Oligarchs and their legacies.

Congalltee

Another referendum to abolish the Seanad. People can't be dumb enough to retain it a second time.
An amendment to art.47 banning the rerunning of substantially the same question in a referendum within 10 years.

Other referenda:
Remove preamble.
Make English equal standing to Irish (but then treating Irish like an equal language in practice).
Removing blasphemy reference
Water down property rights to European norms (including right of the State to remove pensions from a public servant or minister who has failed in their duty e.g. Bertie, biffo, the ex governor of central bank/financial regulator, the Tulsa crowd who added stuff to McCabes file, ex garda commissioner, those who bullied fellow staff who received payouts, those who led to compensation payments being paid for their culpable mistakes (including doctors who don't admit liability and apologise early), the guys behind PPars/pulse/evoting machines, and obviously Michael Noonan.

blinding

I would like referenda in the following areas:

Pensions,
Political structure of Ireland (I think we should federate, along provincial lines mainly) - ergo a new constitution
Elections at least every four years, instead of 5.
Euro membership (alongside EU membership).
Removal of TDs
Remove God from the document (except freedom of religion).
Removal of religious control of schools.

Just a few off the top of my head.
Lets give People a Vote on the EU and the Euro.....

Our Politicians are bought and paid for by the EU so let the People decide if they want that madhouse Lording it over us.........

corporal punishment

The fact that so far there has been so many sensible and valid suggestions for referenda tells us how screwed up this country has become.

Clanrickard

To remove blasphemy from the constittuion
To give fathers equal rights
To put a constitutional ban on the use of quotas
Insert an amendment similar to the first amendment of the US constitution to give free speech rights

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies