• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

What Role For a Monarch in a 32 County Ireland? - Mitchell

trueblue

Fine Gael MEP for Dublin Gay Mitchell today initiated a long over due debate on the future role for the British Monarch in Ireland.

Mitchell was speaking at the annual Fine Gael Collins-Griffith Memorial at Glasnevin Cemetery, where he asked the question, “How would we in the Republic of Ireland of the 21st century accommodate the Irish Unionists today?

Drawing on Griffith's Hungarian Dual Monarchy Policy which he described as "considered and imaginative", he emphasised the importance of thinking “outside the conventional box and acting as persuaders” when it came to the constitutional question.

The full text of his speech is available on the Fine Gael Website

Dunny

Website
www.donnachamaguire.com
Re: What Role For a Monarch in a 32 County Ireland? - Mitche

trueblue said:
Fine Gael MEP for Dublin Gay Mitchell today initiated a long over due debate on the future role for the British Monarch in Ireland.

Mitchell was speaking at the annual Fine Gael Collins-Griffith Memorial at Glasnevin Cemetery, where he asked the question, “How would we in the Republic of Ireland of the 21st century accommodate the Irish Unionists today?

Drawing on Griffith's Hungarian Dual Monarchy Policy which he described as "considered and imaginative", he emphasised the importance of thinking “outside the conventional box and acting as persuaders” when it came to the constitutional question.

I am absolutely flabbergasted by this. I always knew FG werw West Brits but this really takes the biscuit!!

Mitchells remarks are outrageous and an attack on the Office of the President. It also leads me to doubt his loyalty to the Constitution.

Dunny said:
trueblue said:

I am absolutely flabbergasted by this. I always knew FG werw West Brits but this really takes the biscuit!!

Mitchells remarks are outrageous and an attack on the Office of the President. It also leads me to doubt his loyalty to the Constitution.

What the hell? What is Mitchell thinking? The men and women of 1916 who fought to give us the right to chose would turn in their graves.

I could not live in a state where the head of state is there simply based on their birth right. Its a disgusting insult to all shades of Republicans on this island/ I doubt very much Collins would have seen this " as one of his stepping stones"

hiding behind a poster

Mitchell would want to be very careful with this. I suspect the point he's trying to make is valid - that in a United Ireland there may have to be some form of dual citizenship option - basically the current system that applies in the North, only in reverse - whereby Unionists in the new UI would be able to retain their British citizenship. But he'd want to be very very careful about the way he phrases it.

edifice.

trueblue said:

Does Mitchell honestly think that unity is about the six counties being subsumed into the 26 County Apparatus?

When did FG act as persuaders? When John Bruton was asked this as Taoiseach his response was 'we're not persuaders, we're facillitators'. Typical stand idly by garbage.

Sidewinder

Blueshirt Wants His Mummy Shock

:roll:

While no doubt we'll have to come up with some sort of formal (symbolic but powerless) links to Britain to keep the Unionists and Blueshirts feeling all loved and cuddly, it is absolutely ridiculous to suggest that 80% of the country should have to have something they find utterly repugnant foisted on them just because of the chronic and rampant grovelling tendancies of the 20%

We should be trying to help wean people off Monarchy, not encouraging it! Formal cultural, economic, political linkages to England and Scotland are perfectly alright as long as they are in the spirit of two equal sovereign partners. Whining and servile crawling to a bunch of Anglo-Germans and talking about one family in mystical reverence is something humanity should have outgrown long ago.

There can be no compromise on the matter of Monarchy. No compromise at all. Anything else is negotiable.

Maximus

Fine Gael - The Irish Monarchist Party??

Shane’s right Mitchell’s speech will be a gift for Republicans from all parties. One wonders what the Fine Gael leadership were thinking when they approved it. Kenny’s speech today in Beal na mBlath may well be overshadowed by this pro-monarchist drivel.

Alliance

Sounds like a good start to opening ourselves up to a more inclusive society that represents the two biggest traditions on this island. Northern Ireland has bent over numerous occasions to accomdate the green up there.

What bloody difference does it actually make to your personal lives if we have a dual monarchy situation?

Makes feck all difference to mine...

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
I despise the idea of a monarchy for Ireland. I want to be a citizen under a constitution that protects my rights, not a subject subjugated to the will of a government or even a parliament.

Dunny

Website
www.donnachamaguire.com
Alliance said:
Sounds like a good start to opening ourselves up to a more inclusive society that represents the two biggest traditions on this island. Northern Ireland has bent over numerous occasions to accomdate the green up there.

What bloody difference does it actually make to your personal lives if we have a dual monarchy situation?

It makes a differnece because no person has a right to be Head of State based on who their parents are!!!

Alliance

Dunny said:
Alliance said:

It makes a differnece because no person has a right to be Head of State based on who their parents are!!!
My question was though, what direct effect will it have on you personally, your position in society and on this country on a whole?

Alliance

Dunny said:
Im a democrat and a Republican.This divine right of things has no place in my society...
The problem is, it's not your society, it's our society..

And what about the 1 million people who you want to bring into this island who don't share your opinion? what about the people down here who wouldn't even bother to give something like this a second thought?

Your way or no way?

Alliance

Dunny said:
Im not going to get into this at the min..the majority of people on the island dont want a monarchy
Most people, once the debate kicked in, would realise it's simply something to appease the unionists and wouldn't have any real effect on this country or them.

If you're someone who wants to bring in a million heads who don't share your view of what Ireland is, then there has got to be room for change, accomodation and acceptance. If you're loosing it over something as menial as this, then god help them.. :lol:

KeithM

Let's be realistic.

What is "long overdue" about this piece of nonsense?

An all island independent state is farther away than at any time since the Irish Free State left the United Kingdom over 80 years ago. Today the principle of consent is enshined in our constitution and with no obvious sign of a change of mind by the unionist majority and the slowing down of the "demographic timebomb", there is no sign of a majority in Northern Ireland ever wanting anything apart from being part of the United Kingdom.

If people in this country are serious about a "united Ireland" then they have to make that option attractive. Given the reception that unionists got when they tried to organise a peaceful march through our capital city, it's time that all the parties here made some effort to see what unionists might want, and if the things that they are likely to be asking for (re-joining the commonwealth etc.) are things which might help build genuine bridges between the two countries.

Alliance

Re: Let's be realistic.

KeithM said:
What is "long overdue" about this piece of nonsense?

An all island independent state is farther away than at any time since the Irish Free State left the United Kingdom over 80 years ago. Today the principle of consent is enshined in our constitution and with no obvious sign of a change of mind by the unionist majority and the slowing down of the "demographic timebomb", there is no sign of a majority in Northern Ireland ever wanting anything apart from being part of the United Kingdom.

If people in this country are serious about a "united Ireland" then they have to make that option attractive. Given the reception that unionists got when they tried to organise a peaceful march through our capital city, it's time that all the parties here made some effort to see what unionists might want, and if the things that they are likely to be asking for (re-joining the commonwealth etc.) are things which might help build genuine bridges between the two countries.
Well said.

Dunny

Website
www.donnachamaguire.com
Alliance said:
Dunny said:
Im not going to get into this at the min..the majority of people on the island dont want a monarchy
Most people, once the debate kicked in, would realise it's simply something to appease the unionists and wouldn't have any real effect on this country or them.

If you're someone who wants to bring in a million heads who don't share your view of what Ireland is, then there has got to be room for change, accomodation and acceptance. If you're loosing it over something as menial as this, then god help them.. :lol:
Me being a Republican, I cannot accept an unelected Head of State...simple as!!

hiding behind a poster

Dunny said:

I don't think that's what Mitchell is suggesting. (Ham-fisted and all as his speech is)

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies