What security brain-farts will we hear about in the wake of London/Manchester attacks?

Congalltee

We most do something. This is something. Let's do it.

Securocrats love a good old terrorist outrage to result in pointless spending on whatever they are selling. They won't let this opportunity go to waste.

Fine Gael's law and order zeal, will enevitably result in a UK style Cobra committee, with politicians having input into security. (Which is more frightening than terrorism itself). https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0604/880181-london-reaction/

Very few people die in the UK from terrorism (in particular in comparison to the 1969-94 period). But it won't stop silly ideas being proposed:
1) emergency plans.
2) cctv
3) armed gardai
4) training for civil servants (aka days off)
5) National ID
6) deportations
7) stripping of citizenship
8) Internet oversight
9) shut down dark web
10) anything else?

Last edited:

Civic_critic2

It stands to reason that with NATO making war preparations for a war on a scale larger than anything we've seen that they would seek to tie Ireland more closely with the alliance to ensure its Atlantic transport supply lines. Therefore Ireland will be made, one way or another, to join with this effort. We've already seen increased activity by the RAF in Irish skies with annoucements made that this is fine and understandable and even that there's a secret agreement. To fully integrate Ireland will be done under the EU or quite possibly through a terrorist attack in Ireland - it would only take one to get the establishment to deploy everything in its legal, political and propaganda arsenal to overturn Ireland's neutrality.

Mad as Fish

Rumour is that the British are chipping their fivers, not sure how it helps but having people coming up with this sort of crap keeps the unemployment figures down.

realistic1

We most do something. This is something. Let's do it.

Securocrats love a good old terrorist outrage to result in pointless spending on whatever they are selling. They won't let this opportunity go to waste.

Fine Gael's law and order zeal, will enevitably result in a UK style Cobra committee, with politicians having input into security. (Which is more frightening than terrorism itself). https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0604/880181-london-reaction/

Very few people die in the UK from terrorism (in particular in comparison to the 1969-94 period). But it won't stop silly ideas being proposed:
1) emergency plans.
2) cctv
3) armed gardai
4) training for civil servants (aka days off)
5) National ID
6) deportations
7) stripping of citizenship
8) Internet oversight
9) shut down dark web
10) anything else?
I cannot see Ireland been targeted by Islamic extremism, mainly because the Islamic population is still pretty small in Ireland. Islamic fundamentalists will not want a backlash that may deter further Islamic immigrants to this State. When we see the Islamic population reach 5-10% of the Irish population, then there may be trouble.

Last edited:

Congalltee

60,000 Mancunians watching Take That introduce their friend and brother Robbie to the stage is as good a response to terrorism as you can get. No mawkish sentimentality, tokenism, or joy-killing fear. Life, love and liberty go on. Security statism and medieval melancholy can fûck right off.

GDPR

There is no easy fix to domestic jihadism in the UK, unless it goes back to locking up the potentially violent mentally unwell as it did before the 80s.

No one wants to do that, and no one wants to hear that. For all sorts of reasons, some of them decent, some of them not.

End Racism

60,000 Mancunians watching Take That introduce their friend and brother Robbie to the stage is as good a response to terrorism as you can get. No mawkish sentimentality, tokenism, or joy-killing fear. Life, love and liberty go on. Security statism and medieval melancholy can fûck right off.
It was just wonderful. #DontLookBackInAnger

End Racism

Half Nelson

okibb

I don't see any threat to Ireland. Britain has been poorly served by its leaders bombing Muslims all over the middle East. This has caused Britain a lot of problems. We have a very well integrated Muslim population.
#RefugeesWelcome
How many Irish fighters have gone to support IS?

How many of those have returned?

You live in a fairy tale.

Children were murdered in Manchester.

You are using that to promote your world-view.

Vile.

Analyzer

How about hugs for jihadis ? Or pretend there is no problem ?

Oh, that is not working. Well, I presume many superficial liberals will continye as before regardless of the results.

Analyzer

I don't see any threat to Ireland. Britain has been poorly served by its leaders bombing Muslims all over the middle East. This has caused Britain a lot of problems. We have a very well integrated Muslim population.
#RefugeesWelcome
Winner of the Award for most delusional clown on this site.

nakatomi

#RefugeesWelcome
Why do you think there was terrorist attack in Stockholm?

toastedheretic

How many Irish fighters have gone to support IS?

How many of those have returned?

You live in a fairy tale.

Children were murdered in Manchester.

You are using that to promote your world-view.

Vile.
How many do you know of?

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-L09 using Tapatalk

okibb

How many do you know of?

I asked the question, now I'm asked to answer it?

Like most people, I've read the reports in the media and have only heard anecdotal evidence of one person who may have gone, he's certainly not around here anymore, although his mother is and his father visits her now and again when he's not visiting his other wife.

redneck

I lived in London in the mid 90's. There were problems already between Asian gangs and Local Eastenders back then. I remember a particularily nasty stabbing in Somerstown near Euston.
Back in 1997-98, the media were talking about a "looming race war" between Asians ie Muslims and British folk. Which made Tony Blair's decision to join in on the Iraq attack even more puzzling.
I understand Tony Blair wanted to show solidarity with the US post 9/11. But Afghanistan should have been the target imo.

toastedheretic

I asked the question, now I'm asked to answer it?

Like most people, I've read the reports in the media and have only heard anecdotal evidence of one person who may have gone, he's certainly not around here anymore, although his mother is and his father visits her now and again when he's not visiting his other wife.
So you have nothing substantive to add then, just hijacking the misery of the victims and families to push your own twisted agenda, if you were from Muslim stock would likely fit the profile of an evil jihadist cxnt basically..

Popular Threads

Most Replies