What should, and can, the Republic change to make itself more attractive in the event of a Border Poll?

eoghanacht

Free Sky Sports packages ought to do it.

That for us southies too?

Any chance we get a taster, say the heavy weight championship belt this Saturday night?

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
This is not a thread about whether or not a Border Poll should happen. Brexit means it, at least, might well happen. But what should happen in the Republic before the poll to maximise its chance of winning? And would people in the Republic be ready for these changes?

An Orange march in Dublin, properly organized on an acceptable route (probably no GPO, perhaps South side only) and properly policed? Just to show it is the capital of all of Ireland?

A ramp-up to an Irish NHS? I have heard from a few people that the NHS is a big factor.

Imprisoning a few old hands like Adams and Ferris? Probably not a runner because GFA?

Something else?
Getting the RCC out of health and social care and out of education.

Dame_Enda

An Orange march in Dublin would be too risky in the light of the Love Ulster riots of 2006. We have no concept of riot control down here thanks to the civil liberties crowd.

The real swing vote in this are middle class Catholics judging by the Spotlight poll. I would favour:

- a Citizens Assembly to agree the constitutional configuration of a UI eg federal or unitary state? Division of powers between Belfast and Dublin if federal?

- Repeal Article 44 of the Constitution so the State can impose a representative education and health service. Its certain the NMH controversy will be raised by the "no" campaign.

- An independent investigation into the actual costs of a UI - including if possible more transparency from the UK Treasury on how much tax NI pays to the Treasury. We know that in the 1980s they concealed the levels of North Sea oil revenues in order to deny an argument to the SNP.

Last edited:

Ireniall

Does the average British Person (on the mainland) have a better life than the average Irish Person in The Republic? I suspect they do, but it would go to a penalty shootout!
Does the average person in Nordieland have a better life than the average person in The Republic today, probably not as the dole and state OAP is better down South!
Life is way better in both parts of Ireland than anything in England because of population overcrowding. Northern Ireland has an ugly division which spoils the otherwise healthy environment and introduces a certain level of underlying stress-though that might be my southern perspective. The south is potentially well ahead because of the strength of the economy but we have to learn to manage things prudently which is a slow process. It will be perhaps another decade before the negative effects of the last crash will have gone and the current rate of FDI may not be around for ever. So we have to get our house in order.

Will a stronger, subvention addicted, SF from NI help us to do that? Definitely not. Free handouts all round and the dwindling rich will pay. Will the utter crackerjacks in the DUP who brought us Brexit help us? Counter-intuitive as it may seem they may be slightly better than the shinners where the economy is concerned. I have no doubt that a united Ireland would be in the long term interest of the island as a whole but in the short term there are going to be problems and it is no panacea. We would need to lower expectations and accept that things will improve with time. I suspect that the EU would be helpful over that period. Let us not over sell the thing and let us remember that it's not the economy stupid in the case of Irish unity. Other considerations will matter much more

Strawberry

The cracker jacks, as you call them, in the DUP would be disastrous for the economy because they're every bit as corrupt and incompetent as FF. And we all know how good FF are for the economy.

I'd trust Pearse Doherty with the economy much quicker than anyone in either the DUP or FF. At least he can do his sums.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
An Orange march in Dublin would be too risky in the light of the Love Ulster riots of 2006. We have no concept of riot control down here thanks to the civil liberties crowd.

The real swing vote in this are middle class Catholics judging by the Spotlight poll. I would favour:

- a Citizens Assembly to agree the constitutional configuration of a UI eg federal or unitary state? Division of powers between Belfast and Dublin if federal?

- Repeal Article 44 of the Constitution so the State can impose a representative education and health service. Its certain the NMH controversy will be raised by the "no" campaign.

- An independent investigation into the actual costs of a UI - including if possible more transparency from the UK Treasury on how much tax NI pays to the Treasury. We know that in the 1980s they concealed the levels of North Sea oil revenues in order to deny an argument to the SNP.
The civil liberties crowd are apparently to blame for the disgusting bigotry of dissident republicanism and our sh¡te gardai!

Who'd a thunk it?

Shiloh

Instead of singing Ireland's Call followed by Amhran na Fhiann at football matches could we not sing The Sash followed by Amhran na Fhiann. The Sash has a good rhythm to it and would get players and supporters well worked up.

Strawberry

Instead of singing Ireland's Call followed by Amhran na Fhiann at football matches could we not sing The Sash followed by Amhran na Fhiann. The Sash has a good rhythm to it and would get players and supporters well worked up.
No. The Sash isn't an original tune anyway, its based on an old Irish music hall song called The Hat Me Father Wore, so maybe we'll just sing that and scrap the other two.

TheField

An Orange march in Dublin, properly organized on an acceptable route (probably no GPO, perhaps South side only) and properly policed? Just to show it is the capital of all of Ireland??
LOL - this just goes to show what a substantial gap there is between nationalists up the north and most ordinary people in the Republic! As if an old Orange march would mean anything at all to most people down here.

I'd start by getting rid of the bar room nationalists that can still poison. I'd also get rid of Sinn Féin from the Republic for the same reasons. They are a hindrance to acceptance by Southerners of our Northern brethren.

statsman

That's precisely what I mean. And atheist teachers and Muslim teachers and Hindus and Jews. Perhaps you'll emigrate.
At last, a reason to support a UI that makes sense.

Strawberry

LOL - this just goes to show what a substantial gap there is between nationalists up the north and most ordinary people in the Republic! As if an old Orange march would mean anything at all to most people down here.

I'd start by getting rid of the bar room nationalists that can still poison. I'd also get rid of Sinn Féin from the Republic for the same reasons. They are a hindrance to acceptance by Southerners of our Northern brethren.
How exactly would you "get rid of" these undesirables?

Quebecoise

Surely many on here would prefer Ireland to be part of a UK outside the EU, then being a non-UK country in the EU.

Unionists should be courting the anti-EU voice down south in order to promote its pro-UK agenda.

mac tíre

Surely many on here would prefer Ireland to be part of a UK outside the EU, then being a non-UK country in the EU.

Unionists should be courting the anti-EU voice down south in order to promote its pro-UK agenda.

hollandia

Nope. "Many" wouldn't.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies