• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

What signs of the impending obesity crisis have you observed?

General Urko

Apparently we are on course to become the most obese nation in Europe by 2020. This is the rationale behind the highly likely introduction to a fat/sugar tax! Something which I am violently opposed to!
My question to the house is what signs (not including the observations of health care professionals here) have you seen e.g. on the street of this impending epidemic of obesity!
I have literally seen no real examples of it, certainly Irish people (unlike our drinking habits which we appear to share only with the Britz) appear to be no more obese from casual street/public observances than anyone else in Europe!

General Urko

Mods, please feel free if you wish to move to C and C as it is a cultural issue!

GDPR

Less what I have observed as what I can no longer observe.

My feet, from a standing position.

It is indeed a crisis.

General Urko

It is indeed a crisis.
Surely that is down to personal responsibility, though!
I have seen no signs of worrying obesity levels in Irish People above and beyond what I have seen on visits to other parts of Europe. BTW I have never been outside Europe!
We have all observed worrying levels of street drunkeness! I am frothing @ the mouth opposed to The Minimum unit of alcohol pricing for numerous reasons the most important being it's the families of insane alcoholics who will be made to suffer exponentially more, because more of that family's income will be spend on alcohol!

drummed

Surely that is down to personal responsibility, though!
I have seen no signs of worrying obesity levels in Irish People above and beyond what I have seen on visits to other parts of Europe. BTW I have never been outside Europe!
We have all observed worrying levels of street drunkeness! I am frothing @ the mouth opposed to The Minimum unit of alcohol pricing for numerous reasons the most important being it's the families of insane alcoholics who will be made to suffer exponentially more, because more of that family's income will be spend on alcohol!
There are a number of social issues such as fatness and drunkenness sometimes related to our inability to take personal responsibility for many aspects of our own lives. We live in an era of dependence when everything is somebody else's fault. This site is a good example of the general trend towards lack of personal autonomy.

Its a very large issue. Ooops!! :rolleyes:

drummed

You'll also notice in your travels we are one of the few places where every second business is a fast food outlet serving up dubious imported junk for the fat class. Next to the bookie shop and the pub usually. We are easily entertained around here.

raspberry tea

It is indeed a crisis.

I can no longer observe my c*ck from the rolls of fat or see my feet for that matter lol (jkjk im not a guy)! But yeah im a little tubby these days i could do with losing a few....

Irish-Rationalist

I was 2 stone 7lbs overweight for approx 16 years and borderline type 2 diabetic. Through running, cycling and dieting I managed to lose that 2 stone 7lbs and am back to the correct weight for my height. When you let yourself go you put yourself at risk of stroke, heart attack, diabetes and so on, and whilst I understand the government's rational behind a sugar tax, it really comes down to personal responsibility and self discipline.

drummed

I was 2 stone 7lbs overweight for approx 16 years and borderline type 2 diabetic. Through running, cycling and dieting I managed to lose that 2 stone 7lbs and am back to the correct weight for my height. When you let yourself go you put yourself at risk of stroke, heart attack, diabetes and so on, and whilst I understand the government's rational behind a sugar tax, it really comes down to personal responsibility and self discipline.
Most people will feel its the governments fault probably. Everything usually is here.

General Urko

Well done!
Latest research seems to be that a lot of what we were told about saturated fat is probably wrong! Also it would be a nightmare to properly levy a food tax to enforce what the sate believes is CORRECT for the individual! It's true Blueshirt daftness!
I betcha-
You will see no ring fencing of sugar/fat tax money to address related health issues!
We already have hugely expensive food!
There will be no reduction in the prices of fruit and veg to encourage the plebs to do the right thing!

raspberry tea

Most people will feel its the governments fault probably. Everything usually is here.
Do you hate ireland and irish people,then why do you live here,go back to muslim paradise stockholm then...Sling your hook back there if you don't like it......BTW a sugar tax is STUPID,there is natural sugars in everything from fructose,dextrose,maltrose,lactose,sucrose to name but a few,there is sugar in everything from sauces,to breads to just about anything and everything you pick up,of course our government is not trying to help us,they are TRYING TO HELP themselves to YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY!

drummed

Well done!
Latest research seems to be that a lot of what we were told about saturated fat is probably wrong! Also it would be a nightmare to properly levy a food tax to enforce what the sate believes is CORRECT for the individual! It's true Blueshirt daftness!
I betcha-
You will see no ring fencing of sugar/fat tax money to address related health issues!
We already have hugely expensive food!
There will be no reduction in the prices of fruit and veg to encourage the plebs to do the right thing!
We are spending less as % of total income on food that at anytime in history. You can buy a lorry load of fruit and veg at Lidl for a Euro or so. More excuses. Its not the governments job to make you smart.

General Urko

My understanding is the last administration was stopped at the last minute from chancing it by a prominent multi-national telling them if you do it, we're gone!

drummed

Do you hate ireland and irish people,then why do you live here,go back to muslim paradise stockholm then...Sling your hook back there if you don't like it......BTW a sugar tax is STUPID,there is natural sugars in everything from fructose,dextrose,maltrose,lactose,sucrose to name but a few,there is sugar in everything from sauces,to breads to just about anything and everything you pick up,of course our government is not trying to help us,they are TRYING TO HELP themselves to YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY!
Yeah, the government are trying to help themselves to some of your mental disability money no doubt.

General Urko

We are spending less as % of total income on food that at anytime in history. You can buy a lorry load of fruit and veg at Lidl for a Euro or so. More excuses. Its not the governments job to make you smart.
But education is the answer, not Blueshirts ramming insanity down peoples' throats!

drummed

My understanding is the last administration was stopped at the last minute from chancing it by a prominent multi-national telling them if you do it, we're gone!
I predict a sugar tax will be introduced in the next few years. Its controversial as an idea.

Elsewhere, I see every hospital and school is loaded with vending machines selling canned sugar. Time to ban those for a start.
I imagine the hospitals and schools are getting paid by the vending companies.

drummed

But education is the answer, not Blueshirts ramming insanity down peoples' throats!

As far as I know all parties favour or plan a sugar tax. There is no party I know of which does not.

General Urko

I predict a sugar tax will be introduced in the next few years. Its controversial as an idea.

Elsewhere, I see every hospital and school is loaded with vending machines selling canned sugar. Time to ban those for a start.
I imagine the hospitals and schools are getting paid by the vending companies.
apart from Johnnies, temporary toothbrushes and penis rings with clitoral stimulators has anything good ever appeared in a vending machine?

silverharp

In my kids school obesity is very rare, I wonder is the issue being over hyped just a tad.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies