What the Green Movement Got Wrong

darkhorse

Anyone interested should into Channel 4 now "What the Green Movement Got Wrong "
- How the greens created massive global warming by their opposition to nuclear power and acceptance of coal fired power stations over the last 40 years.
- how their opposition to ddt caused millions of malaria deaths in Africa
- how their opposition to gm foods is causes deaths due to starvation in Africa and increased food prices
etc etc
The truth is coming out
What the Green Movement Got Wrong: A turncoat explains - Telegraph

Iarmuid

Anyone interested should into Channel 4 now "What the Green Movement Got Wrong "
- How the greens created massive global warming by their opposition to nuclear power and acceptance of coal fired power stations over the last 40 years.
- how their opposition to ddt caused millions of malaria deaths in Africa
- how their opposition to gm foods is causes deaths due to starvation in Africa and increased food prices
etc etc
The truth is coming out
What the Green Movement Got Wrong: A turncoat explains - Telegraph
I believe the underlying green motivation, was and is the fear of population growth, it is the current form of Malthusianism, the rest are trimings.

Last edited:

thegreyfox

In this country we have Gormley opposing the incineration plant in Ringsend because he lives in dublin 4 although already approved by the dept.of environment and Ryan put 5% on e.s.b. which works as a subsidy to peat fueled power plants.

jmcc

So the Greens caused Global Warming? :)

Regards...jmcc

darkhorse

So the Greens caused Global Warming? :)

Regards...jmcc
Yes
Due to the success on the Green movements anti nuclear power campaigns of the 1970's and 80's, development of power stations switched to coal and other fossil fuels in the USA and elsewhere. These are now responsible for a large proportion of global CO2 emissions.

Twin Towers

That programe suggests the greens did a lot of harm on the way to getting everything wrong.

Whatever happened to CND by the way?

ibis

Have to say I wouldn't disagree with what he's saying in that article. Greens can easily be as anti-scientific as their opponents, just with their prejudices the other way round.

H.R. Haldeman

A very timely programme, because it's primary target was not actually the environmental movement. Rather, it was group-think and ideology. Which is great, because conventional wisdom, lazy thinking, ideological straight-jackets and feedback loops are the enemies of enlightened policy making. The Irish property bubble being the best imaginable example of this.

jmcc

That programe suggests the greens did a lot of harm on the way to getting everything wrong.

Whatever happened to CND by the way?
When the Berlin Wall fell, KGB decided to stop funding them? ;) Actually it was improved targeting and controllable yield devices that changed the game.

Regards...jmcc

darkhorse

Its surprising that the program didnt cover the issue of biofuels - perhaps the devastation caused by the growing of these crops would be too big a subject to cover in one program.

H

Yes
Due to the success on the Green movements anti nuclear power campaigns of the 1970's and 80's, development of power stations switched to coal and other fossil fuels in the USA and elsewhere. These are now responsible for a large proportion of global CO2 emissions.
+100

The Green cultists who believe that wind turbines are well "green" whilst totally ignoring that they must be backed up by constantly online fossil fuel power stations, thus totally negating anything they do to lower co2! Because of the extra capacity that must be provided for either a base load or to supplement the lousy efficiency of wind turbines they actually increase the over all co2 output!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course though, if you are as sleazy as Gormless and Eamo Ryan all they have to do is puke the "global warming" mantra and their acoylytes think they are wonderful whilst they bank roll their friends through fuel stealth taxes designed to hurt the poorest in society the most.

H

A very timely programme, because it's primary target was not actually the environmental movement. Rather, it was group-think and ideology. Which is great, because conventional wisdom, lazy thinking, ideological straight-jackets and feedback loops are the enemies of enlightened policy making. The Irish property bubble being the best imaginable example of this.
+1

And Gormless and friends have done their utmost to promote a "green" bubble by their stealth tax policies to finance their friends in the "green" business

Macy

Missed this, but am hoping to catch a repeat on More 4, particularly the debate.

I'm particularly interested how they attempt to justify GM Crops. Even hybrid seeds are a con job on the third world (and also home growers, sold a pup), never mind GM.

PAD1OH

it was interesting but ultimately it was a series of lies and inaccuracies.

The debate after was useful for highlighting the misleading and deceptive nature of the whole documentary.

RahenyFG

For the Irish Green movement.

going into government with Fianna Fail, selling out and becoming out of touch with people...end of

owedtojoy

Just cross-posting from the Climate Change Debate Thread.

http://www.politics.ie/3141387-post3098.html

Jethro brough up a very good question on where the Green movement is going.

[Personal Note: I have never been a member of the Green movement. While always having a general concern for the environment, I have always kept the "movement" at arms length. It always seemed to me to be too moralistic i.e. deciding issues on "moral" grounds, whereas I am generally a consequentalist - deciding actions on their probable consequences, while recognizing key moral principles like human rights. More about this below]

This week Channel 4 screened a programme (followed by a discussion) called What the Green Movement Got Wrong - namely nuclear power, GM food and DDT. The main voices were those of Tim Flannery, Steward Brand and Mark Lynas, all former radical greens.

The upshot seems to be that there is a "New" Green movement, really the Global Warming movement. Basically, the "new" members recognize that it was a great mistake to throw over nuclear power in favour of coal, which has definitely proved to be the vastly greater of two evils. And it accepts GM foods - for example a new rice strain that can grow under water i.e. even during heavy flooding.

I do not agree with the programme in total - nuclear power still has a major problem with spent fuels & Channel 4 was not totally right on DDT, but at least they did not embace the denialist meme of "Rachel Carson - guilty of genocide".

But definitely it is worth watching, if you can spare an hour during the day. And I find that, without knowing it, I seem to be one of the "new Greens", though I would prefer to see it as a broad movement to mitigate global warming. As long as it focusses on the consequences of actions and not environmental moralism.

What the Green Movement Got Wrong - 4oD - Channel 4

New Threads

Most Replies