• Before posting anything about COVID-19, READ THIS FIRST! COVID-19 and Misinformation (UPDATED)
    Misinformation and/or conspiracy theories about this topic, even if intended as humor, will not be tolerated!

Wascurito

It's taken them long enough to come up that excuse and it wold be the height of incompetence not to have a back up supply to switch in if the lights go out.
Exactly. how can one power outage wreak such havoc over such a wide range of systems?

And if one power source really is so critical, why oh why was there no back-up for this kind of eventuality?

Sounds like a giant porkie.....

gleeful

That's probably your answer right there in bold.
Ya. I dont see a mystery here. BA is an old-style company that sees IT as a cost only. For all Ryanairs other faults they dont skimp on infrastructure. BA is a dinosaur.

statsman

Heathrow is a sh1thole at the best of times. It will be like something from Dante by tomorrow morning.

Hate that place with a vengeance. In fairness the place should be downgraded with a whole new airport in the Thames estuary.
Terminal 2 is grand.

gleeful

Exactly. how can one power outage wreak such havoc over such a wide range of systems?

And if one power source really is so critical, why oh why was there no back-up for this kind of eventuality?

Sounds like a giant porkie.....
Well managed modern companies 'war game' outages and design around worst case scenarios. Some have 'chaos monkey' groups whos job it is to break things in order to keep other teams on their toes.

BA never struck me as a well managed modern company.

Wascurito

Well managed modern companies 'war game' outages and design around worst case scenarios. Some have 'chaos monkey' groups whos job it is to break things in order to keep other teams on their toes.

There are actually companies out there that specialize in offering back up empty office spaces for such disasters.You can - at the drop of a hat - move your whole IT section/call centre/whatever into these empty offices.

WARS - Work Area Recovery Solutions

Of course, the best option would be for staff to be able to work from home if the office networks are down.

gatsbygirl20

So British Airways should employ "chaos monkeys" to create havoc so that they will learn how to react?

I have worked with a few "chaos monkeys" in my time. Not that that was their original job description.
They certainly kept the rest of us "on our toes"

Lumpy Talbot

Top Poster Of Month
Twitter
No
I've seen a replica dealing room that is just across the river from the Nomura dealing room where the staff will simply cross the river and log in at the replica office.

Quite weird to see a whole bank dealing room with replica trading desks just sitting there with dustcovers over the computers.

The idea is that with a code entry the whole place simply comes on line and picks up where the other office left off.

It is even within walking distance of the primary office.

Lumpy Talbot

Top Poster Of Month
Twitter
No
I suppose I'd better not email BA and suggest they run it under the hot tap.

Wascurito

This letter was posted on Twitter in the last few minutes. The basic tone of it is:
- we don't know what the problem is
- we don't know when it will be fixed
- please leave us alone until further notice

Trampas

Indeed. Imagine the howls of outrage if this chaos was caused by a failure in the public service sector.
Indeed. Just imagine the reaction of the loons if welfare payments were delayed by a few hours.

Lumpy Talbot

Top Poster Of Month
Twitter
No
Could be a cyber attack alright and BA would be unlikely to want to admit to a breach of their systems.

Mad as Fish

It's a cyber attack. This is the new normal.
And yet it is insisted that we put ever more reliance on remote computer systems. Cashless society, ID cards, electronic communications and so on and so forth. Oh, did I mention autonomous vehicles? Someday some bright spark will shift the GPS signal, or how its read, by a foot to the right, or something similar.

Wascurito

Hundreds of bags left unattended. What could possibly go wrong?

Morgellons

It just seems to be so catastrophic, I don't see how one programmer or call centre person in Bangalore (or wherever) could wreak such havoc.
Speaking of Bangalore, I got a call from my bank during the week asking me did I try to withdraw 200 euros from an ATM there. I hadn't; some Indian IT genius had gotten hold of my card number by skimming it here in Ireland and had attempted to withdraw money there.

Conts!

T

Toowoomba

And yet it is insisted that we put ever more reliance on remote computer systems. Cashless society, ID cards, electronic communications and so on and so forth. Oh, did I mention autonomous vehicles? Someday some bright spark will shift the GPS signal, or how its read, by a foot to the right, or something similar.

When taken together, autonomous civilian GPS horizontal position fixes are typically accurate to about 15 meters (50 ft). These effects also reduce the more precise P(Y) code's accuracy. However, the advancement of technology means that in the present, civilian GPS fixes under a clear view of the sky are on average accurate to about 5 meters (16 ft) horizontally.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Error_analysis_for_the_Global_Positioning_System

I seem to recall reading the the US DOD deliberately distorts accuracy to keep bad folk from using GPS for bad things.

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom