• Before posting anything about COVID-19, READ THIS FIRST! COVID-19 and Misinformation (UPDATED)
    Misinformation and/or conspiracy theories about this topic, even if intended as humor, will not be tolerated!

Wascurito

Speaking of Bangalore, I got a call from my bank during the week asking me did I try to withdraw 200 euros from an ATM there. I hadn't; some Indian IT genius had gotten hold of my card number by skimming it here in Ireland and had attempted to withdraw money there.

Conts!
So he/she didn't succeed? The banks seem to have a list of countries where credit and debit cards are blocked. I was in the Philippines in January and luckily I told the bank in advance. Otherwise my credit card would have been unusable over there.

Morgellons

So he/she didn't succeed? The banks seem to have a list of countries where credit and debit cards are blocked. I was in the Philippines in January and luckily I told the bank in advance. Otherwise my credit card would have been unusable over there.
Apparently, they had the card number, but didn't have the PIN. At least that's what the bank told me. They sent me a text first, asking did I really try to withdraw money in Bangalore. I didn't notice the text, then they sent a second text asking me to ring them. No cash was taken from my account.

T

Toowoomba

I was in Florida last week and my credit card was blocked first time I used it, a text message arrived within seconds and asked me confirm Y or N, cleared message arrived back within seconds. No problem with subsequent usage in US.

Mad as Fish

When taken together, autonomous civilian GPS horizontal position fixes are typically accurate to about 15 meters (50 ft). These effects also reduce the more precise P(Y) code's accuracy. However, the advancement of technology means that in the present, civilian GPS fixes under a clear view of the sky are on average accurate to about 5 meters (16 ft) horizontally.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Error_analysis_for_the_Global_Positioning_System

I seem to recall reading the the US DOD deliberately distorts accuracy to keep bad folk from using GPS for bad things.
I think you may be slightly out of date there. Tractor systems, for instance, are accurate to within an inch and are available off the shelf, although I'm not up to date myself on the base station requirement.

Morgellons

I was in Florida last week and my credit card was blocked first time I used it, a text message arrived within seconds and asked me confirm Y or N, cleared message arrived back within seconds. No problem with subsequent usage in US.
That's what happened me. They must have a clearance system in place; any unusual card activity is questioned.

Half Nelson

I think you may be slightly out of date there. Tractor systems, for instance, are accurate to within an inch and are available off the shelf, although I'm not up to date myself on the base station requirement.
Correct.
New Holland automatic harvesters are down to less than 2.5cm.

Mad as Fish

That's what happened me. They must have a clearance system in place; any unusual card activity is questioned.
That is exactly what they have. My card has been stopped thrice and each time I had to ring in and give my first pet's name and date of my first shag etc.

Half Nelson

This letter was posted on Twitter in the last few minutes. The basic tone of it is:
- we don't know what the problem is
- we don't know when it will be fixed
- please leave us alone until further notice

It's very bad, whatever caused it. It's predicted to last a number of days.

Power supply issue, my asre!

Dearghoul

Maybe the Yanks could use that accuracy to put a Tomahawk cruise missile up Kim Jong-un's ass. :D
It's owned by Fiat now.

The way Donnie is going about the place they will have less and less access to that sweet technology.

Morgellons

It's very bad, whatever caused it. It's predicted to last a number of days.

Power supply issue, my asre!
It's going to cost them a fortune-all those claims, issuing new tickets etc.

I wonder would any rival carrier do such a thing to them.

GDPR

It's going to cost them a fortune-all those claims, issuing new tickets etc.

I wonder would any rival carrier do such a thing to them.
Dennis O Leary.

He said, British air carriers would be driven from the skies after BREXIT.

Pre-emptive strike. petunia

Catalpast

Even mom & Pop internet businesses have UPS systems

- unbelievable that a Company the size of BA

- does not have one...

Hacked 4 Sure....

D

Deleted member 45466

Pleasant stewardesses, and they made some great adverts (way back when).

nicenin

I flew back from Gatwick on Aer Fungus this afternoon. Same terminal as BA, didn't see or hear a word about this and everyone going about their business. Only heard about the outage when I arrived home.

There were however RAF military jets clearly visible out the window and flying past our civilian aircraft at very close range that I thought rather unusual.

Boy M5

Heathrow is a sh1thole at the best of times. It will be like something from Dante by tomorrow morning.

Hate that place with a vengeance. In fairness the place should be downgraded with a whole new airport in the Thames estuary.
Bird strikes will occur on a regular basis if that happened

Boy M5

Since early this morning, British Airways flights have been grounded due to what the company is calling a "major IT system failure". They're insisting it's not due to hacking and it doesn't involve any cyber viruses but over 12 hours into this crisis, there's no sign of its being resolved.

Earlier, they said flights would be cancelled until 6pm but now they have cancelled all flights for Saturday and asked passengers not to come to Gatwick or Heathrow airports.

Bizarrely, it's not just about the taking off and landing of flights. The problems have also hit British Airways call centres, the website and the mobile phone application and have crashed BA systems worldwide with UK bound flights from outside the UK also being affected.

The GMB union says this disaster could have been avoided if BA hadn't made hundreds of IT staff redundant and outsourced their jobs to India at the end of last year.

BA cancels flights from London as global IT outage causes chaos | Reuters
Will William Matthew Walsh keep a low profile on this one?
Perhaps his chum Baldy Noonan has been giving him tips? Afterall Noonan turned everything he touched to sh1te yet he survived.

Shifting IT out foreign?

Walsh fired people over Terminal 5 fiasco which was a gamble, moving in a big bang move to a new terminal. Yet he continued to rise. The buck didn't stop with him.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom