• Before posting anything about COVID-19, READ THIS FIRST! COVID-19 and Misinformation (UPDATED)
    Misinformation and/or conspiracy theories about this topic, even if intended as humor, will not be tolerated!

Telstar 62

Plank Kenny on Newstalk couldn't conceal his glee at
British Airway's travails.

The petty, ingrained Brit hatred never wanes.....

Spanner Island

Plank Kenny on Newstalk couldn't conceal his glee at
British Airway's travails.

The petty, ingrained Brit hatred never wanes.....
The CEO went to ground for 2 days and when he emerged didn't have much to say...

BA staff were apparently non-existent on the ground...

It's been a self inflicted shambles for BA regardless of where any individuals opinions or attitudes are coming from...

Plus the media would have been rubbing their hands with glee and had a field day if it had happened to Ryanair... including Pat himself possibly...

So get that stupid chip off your shoulder there like a good chap... :cool:

Roberto Jordan

Article in the FT today agreeing with me. ''Walsh drives the business quite aggressively I don't think there's much strategic or directional freedom of the people who run the individual airlines. Policy and strategic direction is set fairly firmly from Willie" - a City analyst.

He's kept a low profile thus far, will he sacrifice Cruz? As he did those at BA who took the rap for the Terminal 5 fiasco?
I dont cover the airline sector and hence have never paid much attention to Wille Walsh so have no great gripe or feelings either way. If anything I think it is a good thing that an Irish technical professional can rise to lead a large multi national conglomerate that is a brand leader in its segment.

However I did think it a little , but only a little as per caveats below, strange that the CEO of BA was absolutely front and center yesterday with no intimation by him of, worse, the covering journalists on BBC world service, MSNBC , AL -Jaz or CNN that BA is a subsidiary of IAG and that he was the not the corporate lead.

While I understand brand segmentation & differentiation ( those are the caveats - not wanting to pollute the rest of the family) it is a little like the ,say, a pharma company with an issue ion Europe putting its EMEA GM out in front as the head of the company while a corporate CEO pulls the strings back in the US or in Geneva. Granted a fairer analogy might be car marques - but even there if Audi's started catching fire Id want to hear from the lead of the VW group rather than the Audi GM.....but im more interested as a potential investor than as a paying customer on the floor of heathrow ( another caveat)

Boy M5

Last edited:
Last edited:
I dont cover the airline sector and hence have never paid much attention to Wille Walsh so have no great gripe or feelings either way. If anything I think it is a good thing that an Irish technical professional can rise to lead a large multi national conglomerate that is a brand leader in its segment.

However I did think it a little , but only a little as per caveats below, strange that the CEO of BA was absolutely front and center yesterday with no intimation by him of, worse, the covering journalists on BBC world service, MSNBC , AL -Jaz or CNN that BA is a subsidiary of IAG and that he was the not the corporate lead.

While I understand brand segmentation & differentiation ( those are the caveats - not wanting to pollute the rest of the family) it is a little like the ,say, a pharma company with an issue ion Europe putting its EMEA GM out in front as the head of the company while a corporate CEO pulls the strings back in the US or in Geneva. Granted a fairer analogy might be car marques - but even there if Audi's started catching fire Id want to hear from the lead of the VW group rather than the Audi GM.....but im more interested as a potential investor than as a paying customer on the floor of heathrow ( another caveat)
Good points.
Yes as well as Walsh, we have Joyce at Qantas.
And Walsh saved Aer Lingus after 911.
However....

Willie's cute as a fox, with a leadership style which some might perhaps think reminiscent of Trotsky and the Red Army (he set up machine guns to stop them retreating)

Two British Airways directors sacked over the Terminal 5 fiasco... but Willie Walsh stays | London Evening Standard

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom