• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

What the hell was Labhras O'Murchu on about this morning on "Pat Kenny's Show?"

Ah Well

I was driving this morning, flicked over to "Today with Pat Kenny" and heard some extraordinary comments from Labhras O' Murchu Ard Stiurtheoir of Comhaltas. Basically Olivia Mitchell was on the show complaining about the lack of transparency surrounding Comhaltas funding, that she couldn't get a copy of the Accounts, the Minister wouldn't oblige, etc. O'Murchu stated that he was on the same Committee as her, met her daily and would have gladly taken her to his office and showed the Accounts if she asked.

Anyway, it wasn't so much this but what O'Murchu said as a general comment that completely threw me

Here's the link to the podcast page, the conversation involving Mitchell and O'Murchu is there as a podcast for download and this comment by O'Murchu starts at about 5mins 30 secs into it;

RTÉ - Today with Pat Kenny

This is what he said going on about "this" being part of a much bigger picture ... "I've had sight of a document in the last couple of days .. it says it was delivered by the Revenue Internet Email Service .... and it went to a number of people including a Senior Civil Servant and Political Press Officer and they were warned not to say a word about Deputy Mitchell's Statement in case the blame found its way back to their door"

O'Murchu also said he knows what the basis of this is.

Mitchell and Kenny both seemed to be quite taken aback by these comments. It wasn't elaborated on any further by O'Murchu.

What in the hell was he on about? It is quite bizarre how this came out all of a sudden on Kenny's Show.

:eek:

Kazza

Yeah, I heard that alright but hadn't a clue what he was on about. Very cloak and dagger, worthy of the X-files methinks!

Ah Well

Yeah, I heard that alright but hadn't a clue what he was on about. Very cloak and dagger, worthy of the X-files methinks!
Yep, a most strange thing to come out with I'm thinking .... whether of course there's anything to it or not or how significant it is, is another thing

turdsl

Olive Mitchell did not explain what her point was,she said she could not get her hands on the accounts and he said they were available at their annual meeting every year.

Ah Well

Olive Mitchell did not explain what her point was,she said she could not get her hands on the accounts and he said they were available at their annual meeting every year.
Aha but whats the "bigger picture" he's on about, followed by those extraordinary comments he made live on air?

Ah Well

So has there been any more about this today since the Kenny Show? I'm guessing not but just wondering if anyone has any updates :)

caminoed

not how i heard it. i understood from what i heard that the annual report is passed by the annual conference, but that they won't show the figures to anyone outside of that?

also, it seemed that the last 'bizarre' point made by labhras was an effort to deflect from the actual point. anyway, just how i picked it up. have a feeling this isn't the last we have heard of this one..

Ah Well

not how i heard it. i understood from what i heard that the annual report is passed by the annual conference, but that they won't show the figures to anyone outside of that?

also, it seemed that the last 'bizarre' point made by labhras was an effort to deflect from the actual point. anyway, just how i picked it up. have a feeling this isn't the last we have heard of this one..
I think he said that the media were "welcome" to (attend?) or did he mean report on? the annual conference ...

and yeah it might not be the last we hear about this .... depending of course on what the hell it is in the first place ... from his comments if no more is heard about it then that would make certain individuals rather happy indeed .... what exactly "it" is god knows

Thac0man

Twitter
twit taa woo
Accounts for what year? Surely even a non-profit company has to submit returns or at least declare its accounts.

Ah Well

Accounts for what year? Surely even a non-profit company has to submit returns or at least declare its accounts.
I assume Mitchell wanted sight of the most recent Accounts - that would seem sensible.

And according to O'Murchu, CCE has had Auditors for its 57 years and Accounts, etc etc.

A quick Companies Reg Office Search shows no Company known as "Comhaltas " etc. It could be registered as "Mickey Mouse Housing Ltd" as a Company (ltd by Guarantee?) but perhaps it's not reg as a Company in the first place. But it does show this;

Type
Business Name
Number 194567
Name
COMHALTAS CEOLTOIRI EIREANN
Address
CEARNOG BELGRAVE,
BAILE NA MANACH,
CO. BHIALE ATHA CLIATH

Registered
22/12/2000
Status
Normal

Of course CCE has to have Accounts maintained in a proper manner and compiled annually. O'Murhcu said they did maintain proper Accounts. Mitchell's problem appears to be not having access to them.

Thac0man

Twitter
twit taa woo
Of course CCE has to have Accounts maintained in a proper manner and compiled annually. O'Murhcu said they did maintain proper Accounts. Mitchell's problem appears to be not having access to them.
Are there any grounds for denying access to the books of an organisation recieving public funding?

Ah Well

Are there any grounds for denying access to the books of an organisation recieving public funding?
Good question, to which I do not have an answer relating it specifically to CCE.

1. Presumably if it were a Company, it would be very easy to give the Comp. No. to the CRO and seek copies of all documentation, which would include Annual Returns, Accounts, etc. I assume Mitchell would have thought of that so by implication it prob isn't registered as a Company.

2. As far as I remember, Mitchell said a request to the Minister did not result in her getting a copy of the Accounts.

3. O'Murchu said he would happily have shown her the Accounts in his office if she had asked. Whether or not she wants hard copies is another thing.

I don't know what's being implied here. Is it being alleged that funding was utilised in the same way FAS funding was utilised allegedly in Sligo recently as per recent TV Prog or something?

But all of this stuff re the Accounts still doesn't answer the question of what the hell was O'Murchu on about in his general comments. I presume it's related to CCE in some way - that would seem a sensible observation.

LooseCannon

Comhaltas receives a lot of taxpayers money and it is not at all clear how the assets are held or managed or who the salary earners are (cough, cough Labhras).

What is to stop all the assets being held in the name of Labhras or a proxy? We probably won't find out till he's dead and his family run off with the cash.

oceanclub

Website
oceanclub.blogspot.com
The Phoenix magazine do regular pieces on CCE; it makes the Illuminati seem like an open organization.

gaffer falls

Larry is ard-stiurthoir for life...seems a big unusual.They get funding from multiple sources, wonder if the left hand knows what the right hand is doing.Anglo also had accounts.Hey but this is Ireland 2009, I am sure everything is transparent and above board.

Kazza

Pat Kenny just read out comments from members of the Clontarf branch refuting what O'Murchu said about them trying to diddle the VAT man... very strange goings on indeed...

sligonthleitrim

I've done a Directors Search on Irish Company And Irish Director Information Searches - SoloCheck, and a Labhras O'Murchu appears to be a director of four companies at the moment:

Galway Girl Productions Limited (Number 442499)
The Irish Rural Dwellers Association Limited (Number 371670)
Irish Family History Foundation Limited (Number 158677)
Cashel Arts Fest Limited (Number 372675) [listed as Labhras Criosfoir O'Murchu]

No obvious CCE entity among those, I think. Either the entity is not registered as a company, or else he is not a director of it.