What was the Irish Potato Famine?

Lonewolfe

Genocide inspired by a particular mutant strain of Protestantism and laissez-faire politics.

blinding

Britains legitimacy in Ireland if it ever existed ended with The Great Hunger .

From them on its just playing out time . Ireland will be re-united and an Independent country from Britain in the not too distant future .

Now we have to ask ourselves how much do we want to bow down to the Eu Empire ?

former wesleyan

Apparently people on twitter were shocked at the attitudes to the Irish and the Famine. " They never told us this at school " etc.

Levellers

Famine was a regular instrument of English rule.They did the same in the Highlands of Scotland and in India.

Paddyc

Apparently people on twitter were shocked at the attitudes to the Irish and the Famine. " They never told us this at school " etc.
Sad that it took a costume drama to raise awareness, but at least awareness is being raised.

Franzoni

40 million in the USA claiming Irish descent as with many in the UK along with places like Liverpool often referred to as the capital city of Ireland seems to have gone unquestioned and over their heads somewhat over the years....

Volatire

There are two great myths about the great famine:

• it was caused by Phytophthora infestans
  • the deaths were caused by starvation

Reality is different:

• the primary cause of the famine was groupthink. The rural Irish believed it was sustainable to raise 12 kids on 1.5 acres by relying on a single crop. Of course, sooner or later, disaster was going to strike. Just like the 2007 property bubble, nobody could tell Mick he was doing something totally stupid.
  • The biggest single cause of death was not starvation, but "yellow fever". This is not today's tropical yellow fever but a completely different vector borne disease called Relapsing fever (borreliosis) carried by lice and ticks. It is closely related to lyme disease. It spread among weakened overcrowded populations, wiping out entire communities. People died in huge numbers, much faster than you can starve.

Marcos the black

It was about 170 years ago.
While I agree it's good to discuss it from a historical perspective I still see people using it for modern day biases. From a physiological point of view I think we as a country "need to get over it".

A Voice

Reality is different:

• the primary cause of the famine was groupthink. The rural Irish believed it was sustainable to raise 12 kids on 1.5 acres by relying on a single crop. Of course, sooner or later, disaster was going to strike. Just like the 2007 property bubble, nobody could tell Mick he was doing something totally stupid.
  • The biggest single cause of death was not starvation, but "yellow fever". This is not today's tropical yellow fever but a completely different vector borne disease called Relapsing fever (borreliosis) carried by lice and ticks. It is closely related to lyme disease. It spread among weakened overcrowded populations, wiping out entire communities. People died in huge numbers, much faster than you can starve.
Discuss.

blinding

Reality is different:

Maybe somebody had taken over their lands in the years before !

between the bridges

Volatire

It was about 170 years ago.
While I agree it's good to discuss it from a historical perspective I still see people using it for modern day biases. From a physiological point of view I think we as a country "need to get over it".
I disagree. There may yet be important lessons to be learnt from the Great Famine. It warrants much more study, but intsead has been politicised by the usual suspects.

A Voice

Maybe somebody had taken over their lands in the years before !
Yeah, there was groupthink around London that kicking "Mick" off his land was a great idea. Maybe nobody pointed out how "stupid" that was.

Marcos the black

I disagree. There may yet be important lessons to be learnt from the Great Famine. It warrants much more study, but intsead has been politicised by the usual suspects.
Study yes, emotion and blame?

blinding

Yeah, there was groupthink around London that kicking "Mick" off his land was a great idea. Maybe nobody pointed out how "stupid" that was.
If you weren’t too worried about people dying or being kicked off their land it was a great idea .

New Threads

Most Replies