• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

What will we do with the Central Bank?

statsman

Move the Chester Beatty Library collection in to it.

YouKnowWhatIMeanLike

Roll_On

I was going to suggest a conversion into luxury apartments for the fiercely competitive rental market in Dublin. It's location would ensure it'd be full in a matter of hours and if there's ,say 50 units, average €1300 each per month that's 780,000 income per anum for the state plus deposits would put it at €845,000.

You'd probably get more for it if it was rented out as commercial office space, assuming you found a willing tenant. As an office building it might be a bit dated though in terms of services.

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.
Should rehouse on different floors, various new business startups (easy access to services etc), a gallery for young up and coming artists and sculptors, a new writers den, a showcase area for new film and drama talent.

The base for a new Ireland, showing all the great creativity out there that can get no funding because of a waste of money and no forward thinking ethos.

dagenict

Twitter
dagenict
PUTthe shower of bankers who roobed the country in to it and blow it up.

sic transit

Make it a public space for galleries , exhibitions, meeting places. music etc. and move the cramped ILAC library into it.

Roll_On

Make it a public space for galleries , exhibitions, meeting places. music etc. and move the cramped ILAC library into it.
I think that's a great idea, but considering the state has to foot the bill for finishing the anglo building, surely they should be looking to recover some money through rent in the Central Bank building. We are after all bankrupt, any opportunity to get a few €€€ into the coffers should be welcomed, along with massive cuts to TD's pay and pensions, councilors pay and pensions and general public sector pay and pensions, of course.

Picasso Republic

One thing is for certain - this 'complex' decision of what to do with the building will probably justify the setting up of another costly Quango and those preferred citizens with their 'Speedy Boarding' tickets will be rewarded with another salary.

sauntersplash

I think it's a beautiful building. Is it ironic that they didn't put the top floors on for many years because they didn't have planning permission for the full design when they started to build? The cultural "space" idea is fantastic.

Or how about a museum of moping and affectation? The key demographic's already on the doorstep!

Presumably some obscure unit of Revenue will be moved in there.

im axeled

One thing is for certain - this 'complex' decision of what to do with the building will probably justify the setting up of another costly Quango and those preferred citizens with their 'Speedy Boarding' tickets will be rewarded with another salary.
quite correct, i was about to post that it will cost the taxpayer another big moxey.

statsman

I think it's a beautiful building. Is it ironic that they didn't put the top floors on for many years because they didn't have planning permission for the full design when they started to build? The cultural "space" idea is fantastic.

Or how about a museum of moping and affectation? The key demographic's already on the doorstep!

Presumably some obscure unit of Revenue will be moved in there.
I don't know where you got that from. I remember watching it going up, as I went by there almost every day. The service shafts went up first, then the top floor was constructed on the ground and hoisted up, this process was repeated until the thing was finished. The original design was too high for planning permission, and after a longish halt to the construction work, the original roof was removed to meet the specs. There's a very good video on the process here.

1980 - Central Bank of Ireland, Dame Street, Dublin - Archiseek.com

wombat

The building is the least of our problems, the real question is what we can do with the Central Banker:lol: