What will you do to help your community?

selkies

Website
www.politicswiki.ie
Many people are complaining about what others have not done and also what they have done badly. Often they are right in that those people should have done more and should have done better, however I grow tired of hearing about what other people have done.

I want people to boast about their own achievements, I also want people to make commitments here about what you will do to help your community.

It doesn't have to be huge, but it has to be beyond what is required of you by law.

If you vote I want you to say that you vote, if you give to charity that helps in your community I want you to say that you give to charity etc.

If you have searched through your actions and you cannot find that you have done anything for your community, do not despair, there are plenty of things you can do, just post in reply to this thread what you will do.
Don't post something you aren't able to do, or I would do this IF x. Say what you will do!

I won't try and force anyone to do what they have said they will do but I am interested in hearing how it worked out!

I will start.

----
I vote although I missed the last european election due to laziness.
My vote has generally not been very informed so I started PoliticsWiki.ie
I also wrote some code that turns an address into a constituency.

What I will do is continue to vote, but in every election and when I vote I will inform myself on the candidates to find out which one will best represent me.

I will write software that helps us improve our implementation of Democracy as well as making sure that PoliticsWiki has the chance to grow.

I'm no Gandhi, that is what I'm done, that is what I will do.

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
I vote.

I take away scrap timber and unwanted shrubs and trees from neighbours.

Plant flowers and shrubs around the neighbourhood, and pick up litter.
I encourage the local children to help out and give them a few euros to keep their interest.

Neighbours in return let me use their brown recycle bins to dispose of cuttings and outgrown plants as we have the largest garden in this immediate locality.

Just Jack

I have a feeling this thread could turn into a sanctimonious bore…

I give to charity.

However, I refuse to give to my local shop because I don’t like the man who runs it very much.

I suppose these things even themselves out…

selkies

Website
www.politicswiki.ie
I have a feeling this thread could turn into a sanctimonious bore…
Can you help me turn it into something more interesting?

I give to charity.

However, I refuse to give to my local shop because I don’t like the man who runs it very much.

I suppose these things even themselves out…
Giving to charity tends to do more good than buying from your local shop, I'm pretty sure that you are doing better than even!

Also which charities do you give to and why?

Do you have any plans for the future, what will you do to help your community, or are you happy with what you have done so far?

selkies

Website
www.politicswiki.ie
Win!

I take away scrap timber and unwanted shrubs and trees from neighbours.

Plant flowers and shrubs around the neighbourhood, and pick up litter.
I encourage the local children to help out and give them a few euros to keep their interest.

Neighbours in return let me use their brown recycle bins to dispose of cuttings and outgrown plants as we have the largest garden in this immediate locality.
That is plain awesome!

I especially like the part where you get the local children to help out!

Are you involved in any organisations that work with the environment?

Any plans for future work for your community?

Just Jack

Can you help me turn it into something more interesting?

No offence was intended.

Giving to charity tends to do more good than buying from your local shop, I'm pretty sure that you are doing better than even!

Also which charities do you give to and why?

Do you have any plans for the future, what will you do to help your community, or are you happy with what you have done so far?
I give to Cancer Research because it’s a disease that affects many. Although I must say, I do wonder how much of our contributions are actually going towards research. Forgive my impatience, simplicity and infantile logic, but isn’t it about time they found a cure for it?

I also give to many other smaller charities that come door to door asking for assistance. I give in the good faith that they are actually charities and not charlatans looking to exploit people’s good intentions.

Aistear

I also vote ... Have never missed a chance to vote. I encourage others to vote ... I try to get to know local candidates before voting for them ... When they come canvassing I question their motivation and policies!

I regularly write to ministers and TDs about issues of concern.

For the community, I don't do much ... I am a scout leader but that's it. I work for a quango so I'm involved with local socially marginalized groups.

I would like to do more but in my constituency I find it very difficult to find a candidate who represents me ... Not even mammy!

Goodbody

My father was active in community affairs in south Dublin all of his adult life, until his illness in the past few years. An awful lot of his time was spent trying to hold residents association meetings that had to be adjourned because not even a quorum of residents bothered to show up. I don't think there's much of a tradition of community effort.

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
Win!

That is plain awesome!

I especially like the part where you get the local children to help out!

Are you involved in any organisations that work with the environment?

Any plans for future work for your community?
No, I'm not involved with any organisation.

I did try to get a great classical composer sculpture park installed in the Iveagh Gardens by contacting politicians and composers and musicians etc. A letter about it was published in the Irish Times. Plenty of well wishing but nothing came of it....so far.

I continue my neighbourhood planting and will be out early tomorrow morning planting winter flowering pansies and Pot marigold seeds.

Good luck with your webpage.

selkies

Website
www.politicswiki.ie
No offence was intended.
None taken I can see where you are coming from.

However I think we can make this thread awesome.
We need to hear what you have done so that we can get ideas that work
We need to hear what you plan to do so that we can get hope for the future!

I give to Cancer Research because it’s a disease that affects many. Although I must say, I do wonder how much of our contributions are actually going towards research. Forgive my impatience, simplicity and infantile logic, but isn’t it about time they found a cure for it?
Yeah I know what you mean.
Great cause though, despite how slow it is to find cures for things like that.
At least another 10 years before they find a cure.

I also give to many other smaller charities that come door to door asking for assistance. I give in the good faith that they are actually charities and not charlatans looking to exploit people’s good intentions.
I hear that, my dad gives to the same beggar at the door every week.
I often feel like saying the money would be better off given to simon community or salvation army but I hold my tongue because I think he enjoys it.

BabyonCocaine

''I work for a quango so I'm involved with local socially marginalized.''..Would this QUANGO happen to be FAS..The great train robbery,responsible for robbing jobs from the community and stating they are in fact ''helping'' the unemployed to find work?

End the FAS work place programme WWP1 WWP2 | Facebook

Interview of Director of 'FAS SERVICES' Paul o Toole - Indymedia Ireland

On a personal note,what can i do for my community..ROB THEM PERHAPS?

Honestly what i would do i would go out try to buy irish EVEN THOUGH IT IS FAR TOO EXPENSIVE,do voluntary work,at least it is not giving to a quango,boycott fas,heckled some fas members in dublin office a while back,talked about fas in forums,got on to the fas officer,wrote to the local TD,he did nothing,attended a clinic,it was a lovely clinic too,but they also did nothing for me,why i still dont know..
Didnt do much after that,had a cheese salad and some strawberries,i remember that day ever since,since then did nothing much.Over did it on the buffalo wings earlier,feeling goutish..

selkies

Website
www.politicswiki.ie
My father was active in community affairs in south Dublin all of his adult life, until his illness in the past few years. An awful lot of his time was spent trying to hold residents association meetings that had to be adjourned because not even a quorum of residents bothered to show up. I don't think there's much of a tradition of community effort.
Interesting post

So are you going to do something to change that?
Are you willing to do something but looking for ideas?
Where have you looked so far?
If this is your first time thinking "What can I do?" well this is the right thread to be looking at!

Your father sounds like an awesome person, do you know what kept him going?

selkies

Website
www.politicswiki.ie
I also vote ... Have never missed a chance to vote. I encourage others to vote ... I try to get to know local candidates before voting for them ... When they come canvassing I question their motivation and policies!
I want to be that awesome!

I regularly write to ministers and TDs about issues of concern.
That is really important!
You can't really expect something that you have not demanded!

That's my next project after PoliticsWiki.ie, the idea is a Q&A website for politicians, people post their question and others vote on whether they think the question is good, the politician is notified and they can publish their response on the website.

What do you think?

For the community, I don't do much ... I am a scout leader but that's it. I work for a quango so I'm involved with local socially marginalized groups.
I'd love to hear more about your work in a quango, I have no idea what a quango does!

I would like to do more but in my constituency I find it very difficult to find a candidate who represents me ...
You could always get involved in politicswiki.ie :)

also take a look at mysociety.org and see if you would be interested in getting something like that started in Ireland

Not even mammy!
Yeah I'm not sure I'd vote for someone with the same policies as my mother.

selkies

Website
www.politicswiki.ie
''I work for a quango so I'm involved with local socially marginalized.''..Would this QUANGO happen to be FAS..The great train robbery,responsible for robbing jobs from the community and stating they are in fact ''helping'' the unemployed to find work?

End the FAS work place programme WWP1 WWP2 | Facebook

Interview of Director of 'FAS SERVICES' Paul o Toole - Indymedia Ireland

On a personal note,what can i do for my community..ROB THEM PERHAPS?

Honestly what i would do i would go out try to buy irish EVEN THOUGH IT IS FAR TOO EXPENSIVE,do voluntary work,at least it is not giving to a quango,boycott fas,heckled some fas members in dublin office a while back,talked about fas in forums,got on to the fas officer,wrote to the local TD,he did nothing,attended a clinic,it was a lovely clinic too,but they also did nothing for me,why i still dont know..
Didnt do much after that,had a cheese salad and some strawberries,i remember that day ever since,since then did nothing much.Over did it on the buffalo wings earlier,feeling goutish..
You seem to be advocating that people do nothing because the situation is hopeless?

Am I reading you right?

I did some work with some homeless people a number of years ago (parents forced me) and found it really rewarding! So I don't think helping your community is hopeless!
I'm just trying to get back into it at the moment! Join me!

Aistear

Yeah I'm not sure I'd vote for someone with the same policies as my mother.[/QUOTE]

Ha ... There is only one 'mammy' and she's not my mother!

Nobody knows what quangos do ... If my job were abolished tomorrow ... Or dec 7th nobody would notice ... Sigh ...

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies