What would constitute success in the next elections?

Suttree

I've personally grown disillusioned with FG (who would have received my no. 1s in the general election) to a sufficient degree that they won't be getting my first preferences this time, so I'm leaning heavily towards transferring my votes to the Greens in the Euros/Locals (Ryan and Claire Byrne), who I'm sure will cause me to grow disillusioned at the first opportunity (joys of Irish politics).

What do Green supporters (and others, I guess) think would constitute success for the party in the next raft of elections, in terms of Councillors and showing in Europe (maybe even getting an MEP elected)?

Sync

Ryan has a chance IMO. A real chance of getting the mep slot. That would be seen as victory. They're basically rebuilding from where they were 20 years ago.

Evil Eco-Fascist

Ryan has a chance IMO. A real chance of getting the mep slot. That would be seen as victory. They're basically rebuilding from where they were 20 years ago.
There's one big difference though; political and electoral experience that they didn't have 20 years ago.

Analyzer

What would constitute success ?

Candidates who demand greater accountability for the public interest becomming elected.

statsman

I've personally grown disillusioned with FG (who would have received my no. 1s in the general election) to a sufficient degree that they won't be getting my first preferences this time, so I'm leaning heavily towards transferring my votes to the Greens in the Euros/Locals (Ryan and Claire Byrne), who I'm sure will cause me to grow disillusioned at the first opportunity (joys of Irish politics).

What do Green supporters (and others, I guess) think would constitute success for the party in the next raft of elections, in terms of Councillors and showing in Europe (maybe even getting an MEP elected)?
If you vote for the Greens you both get what you deserve and deserve what you get.

enuffisenuff

FG - Nuls points
FF - Nuls points
Lab - Nuls points
SF - Nuls points
Greens - Nuls points
All Other - Douze Points

Evil Eco-Fascist

I find it amusing that most posters on this thread just post anti-Green jibes rather than address the question asked by Suttree. Not even a "The vegetables will get minus 1 million seats for their treachery, grrrr!" People starting to get anxious?

statsman

I find it amusing that most posters on this thread just post anti-Green jibes rather than address the question asked by Suttree. Not even a "The vegetables will get minus 1 million seats for their treachery, grrrr!" People starting to get anxious?
Success is winning a seat if you're a candidate, it's at least maintaining your current number of seats if you're a party. If you're a voter, helping elect anyone who had anything to do with the last government is an epic fail.

Evil Eco-Fascist

Success is winning a seat if you're a candidate, it's at least maintaining your current number of seats if you're a party. If you're a voter, helping elect anyone who had anything to do with the last government is an epic fail.
*Still* not answering the question posted by the OP. Just displaying your worry that the Greens might recover. That's an epic fail.

statsman

*Still* not answering the question posted by the OP. Just displaying your worry that the Greens might recover. That's an epic fail.
Success for the Greens would be measured in the terms I set out in my post. Retain the seats they have or better.

locke

Surely they have to look for better.

Staying on 3 councillors would be a disaster, especially considering the larger LEAs that will make it easier to get councillors elected.

What's harder is identifying where they might easily gain.

F

Faillandia

There's one big difference though; political and electoral experience that they didn't have 20 years ago.

An even bigger difference is their record in government which will not be easily forgotten. Some people will never trust them again.

Victor Meldrew

I'm specifically thinking of any politician who kept Bertie Ahearn in power post 2007.
You had to bring that up. Diddn't you... petunia

Mind you, had the Kakistocracy been relegated to the opposition benches, Da bert would have been dumped, and the economic collapse would still have happened.

Would we have Bailed out ANGLO? Possibly. I doubt this would have been that different. A bit like comparing Dog food.

But FF would have rolled in 2011 with a majority... and the vegtables would still have got the PD treatment,

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom