What would happen if we simply nationalised the frozen funds of terrorists?

ruserious

Al-Qa'ida million in Irish banks - Independent.ie

The Indo is reporting that the Central Bank has frozen millions of euro linked to Al Qaeda, The Syrian regime, Iran and more. In addition there is €1.5 billion in Gaddafi Libyan funds frozen.

What would happen if we simply took the money and ploughed it into the HSE and other vital areas?
I can't imagine the previous Libyan government taking us to court?

Deadlock

The Indo is reporting that the Central Bank has frozen millions of euro linked to Al Qaeda, The Syrian regime, Iran and more. In addition there is €1.5 billion in Gaddafi Libyan funds frozen.

What would happen if we simply took the money and ploughed it into the HSE and other vital areas?
I think that's a great idea. It may need legislation to provide the State with the means of legitimate sequestration of assets, but it's a great suggestion.

Roll_On

does the CAB not already have the power to nationalize the proceeds of crime?

Old Mr Grouser

...In addition there is €1.5 billion in Gaddafi Libyan funds frozen.

Please God Libya will have a proper peaceful government again some day.

Then they'll go looking for that money, and the interest on it also.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
Ahem, does the Libyan money at least not belong to the Libyan people?

And shouldn't it go back to Libya eventually, when and if they manage to produce some sort of legitimate government there?

On the topic of the Al Qaeda money, whether or not it would be legitimate to take it would depend on where it comes from, but it would seem to me that it should be invested in the Middle East when and if the time comes to rebuild in the regions most messed up by conflicts involving Al Qaeda.

It's not our money.

ruserious

And shouldn't it go back to Libya eventually, when and if they manage to produce some sort of legitimate government there?

On the topic of the Al Qaeda money, whether or not it would be legitimate to take it would depend on where it comes from, but it would seem to me that it should be invested in the Middle East when and if the time comes to rebuild in the regions most messed up by conflicts involving Al Qaeda.

It's not our money.
We could use it to fund the €250,000 a year minors and other refugees coming from the ME.

Deadlock

It's not our money.
Having such laws here would be a deterrent to keeping the money in Irish accounts in the first instance.

Enigma Variations

Hasn't it occurred to you that your idea would be theft?
You're suggesting that money stolen from the Libyan people by their government should be stolen from them a second time by Ireland................

venusian

I sincerely doubt if the low life thief who robbed money from private pension schemes, Mike "Hep C" Noonan would allow ill gotten gains to be nationalised. It would be too close to home...Hmm! Wonder where the Anglo gangster banksters and their bosom buddies in all of the Irish banks like AIB etc squirrelled their ill gotten gains away? Scum FG Noonan and friends know!

venusian

Hasn't it occurred to you that your idea would be theft?
You're suggesting that money stolen from the Libyan people by their government should be stolen from them a second time by Ireland................

FF/FG and Noonan do that all of the time by supporting vulture funds and their "charitable" status!
Row as Noonan is accused of being a ‘vulture-fund lover’
Row as Noonan is accused of being a
Ms Coppinger referred to Mr Noonan’s previous comments to the committee where he said that “vultures provide a very good service in the ecology through cleaning up dead animals that are littered across the landscape”.

NYCKY

If there was proper vetting done at the start then the funds never would have come in.

I switched money from a low interest account to a higher interest bearing time deposit and the hoops I had to go through. No new money, just transfer from one internal account to a new one, id, passports, credit card bills , dna samples, it was ridiculous.

Yet, Al Qaeda have money there.

The money is not belonging to Ireland or the banks and should be returned - eventually.

Peppermint

Well if they know for a fact they have 'Al Qaeda' money, take it and pay my Mortgage!
But sadly (for me) this is an Independent.ie story...

Lúidín

Freezing money belonging to Iran and Syria but not Saudi Arabia, Israel, Bahrain and the other terror-sponsoring states in the Middle East would be a disastrous, lop-sided idea and no government would even contemplate it.

ruserious

If there was proper vetting done at the start then the funds never would have come in.

I switched money from a low interest account to a higher interest bearing time deposit and the hoops I had to go through. No new money, just transfer from one internal account to a new one, id, passports, credit card bills , dna samples, it was ridiculous.

Yet, Al Qaeda have money there.

The money is not belonging to Ireland or the banks and should be returned - eventually.
To whom?

Nemesiscorporation

They should be immediatley nationalised.

Libya supplied weapons for Irish to kill Irish. Couldn't care less what their opinion is.

TedHankey

It's not our money.
If one has the power to declare another government illegitimate in the first place it's hard to see why one would have to declare them legitimate again at all. Just brazen it out and spend the money.

Analyzer

Seizure of money held by terrorists and criminals is fair game.

I would not seize funds of the Libyan people.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies