• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

What You Don't Know Won't Hurt You - or Will It?

greengoose2

As we are now embroiled in the great horse meat scandal it might be an idea to look at other issues that greed is manifesting on the planet.

Palm Oil. The wonder product, cheap and tasty. How cheap is it really for the environment? Does the planet need a rain forest? Do you care about what you buy?

Here's an interesting site to browse and perhaps we might get a discussion going - perhaps...

It's not just about wild life, it also concerns civilisation.

[video=youtube;VaJjPRwExO8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=VaJjPRwExO8[/video]

seanmoylantd

OMG.
That's basically why I'm learning to bake.You don't have a clue what is used in the cakes and sweets you buy in the shops.

firefly123

OMG.
That's basically why I'm learning to bake.You don't have a clue what is used in the cakes and sweets you buy in the shops.
Mostly orangutan apparently.

Last edited:

shiel

What was concealed from us by our lords and masters during the Celtic tiger years certainly came back to haunt and hurt us.

Astral Peaks

What was concealed from us by our lords and masters during the Celtic tiger years certainly came back to haunt and hurt us.
Yeah, mostly on the Feedback threads, eh? :cool:

Astral Peaks

Psalm oil? Not another Christian bashing thread!
No, it's P(s)almistry, something to do with tea leaves, or coffee grounds, or something.....

greengoose2

I feel obliged to apologise to the wiser, more erudite and sensitive members of p.ie for my ridiculous temerity in starting a thread on a sinister aspect of the dangers to the environment. I realise now that I should engage more in the more serious issues of Clare Daly type damp squib stuff!

The budding comedy writers here have my full respect for their side splitting contributions and I hope to continue to be able to read their gems further.

Perhaps it's because of the mid term break...

Pat Gill

Website
www.energyco-ops.ie
Twitter
Pat_Gill
I feel obliged to apologise to the wiser, more erudite and sensitive members of p.ie for my ridiculous temerity in starting a thread on a sinister aspect of the dangers to the environment. I realise now that I should engage more in the more serious issues of Clare Daly type damp squib stuff!

The budding comedy writers here have my full respect for their side splitting contributions and I hope to continue to be able to read their gems further.

Perhaps it's because of the mid term break...
There was an article in the Guardian a couple of weeks ago which outlined the fact that an indigenous stable grain in one South American countries suddenly became an expensive but fashionable superfood in certain European social circles with the result that the price of this stable food in its country of origin became unaffordable to the people who depended on it.

This is a complicated subject, not simple at all and closely related to the idiocy of using food production fields to grow biofuels to power our car culture simply because the feedstock plants already exist and thereby driving up the cost food unnecessarily.

Sustainable biofuel feedstocks are being developed which use poor agricultural in which to grow but this takes a little more effort and ingenuity.

But can the Simon Cowell inspired celeb culture generation think that far ahead ?

soubresauts

I have been boycotting Nestle products for many years now (for various good reasons). However, I recently ate a KitKat, because I was curious to know if it could taste as good as the ones I used to enjoy more than forty years ago. It tasted awful, and I put that down to the palm oil and soya lecithin, both of which are disgusting but ubiquitous food ingredients.

I don't know how toxic palm oil is, but I do know that soya lecithin is very bad for you. Find chocolate that is made without soya and you have probably found some very good chocolate.

Stick to real food, folks.