Whatever you say say nothing

McSlaggart

Since the election people have started talking or even posting about politics on Facebook. The mood of "moderate" people that I am know appears to be changing.

example "

"I was ALWAYS on the side of NI in the case of any border poll as were MANY of my close friends.
I for one, will DEFINITELY be voting for a United Ireland i
f such a poll takes place after leaving the EU, as it surely will."

Facebook post

I am wondering is this a widespread across "northern Ireland" or one localised to the west of "Northern Ireland"?

Half Nelson

McSlaggart may have detected the only really-strong card the #DUP have left to play. Concede anything except a border poll.
The DUP can now go back to doing what it does best - being the voice of a poor wee set-upon minority at war with the outside world. The moaning and whinging will be set at max.

McSlaggart

McSlaggart may have detected the only really-strong card the #DUP have left to play. Concede anything except a border poll.
"Irish Sea border"

The DUP have put themselves in the strange position that a border in the Irish sea would actually be a good outcome for unionism. Custom posts in Tyrone would be the end of Northern Ireland.

McSlaggart

I am in Tyrone so its hard to judge other places but locally talk of support for a united Ireland is suddenly being discussed.

former wesleyan

I am in Tyrone so its hard to judge other places but locally talk of support for a united Ireland is suddenly being discussed.
" a united Ireland is suddenly being discussed. "
In Tyrone.
Suddenly.

In Tyrone.
If someone could design an emoji to convey the bullshittery in that statement they'd make a fortune.

Barroso

" a united Ireland is suddenly being discussed. "
In Tyrone.
Suddenly.

In Tyrone.
If someone could design an emoji to convey the bullshittery in that statement they'd make a fortune.
Wes, there is a difference between wishing or hoping for a united Ireland but knowing it is pie in the sky, and talking about the matter as a real possibility.
A long-term aim has become a medium-term likelihood.

Last edited:

McSlaggart

Wes, there is a difference between wishing or hoping for a united Ireland but knowing it is pie in the sy, and talking about the matter as a real possibility.

"It quotes former chancellor George Osborne telling ITV that if the exit poll was accurate, the results would help a move towards "a united federated Ireland"."

"Fionnán Sheahan: 'Boris's Brexit epiphany puts a united Ireland on the agenda - whether FF and FG like it or not'"

Its the British media who have been raising the issue and a county like Tyrone it will naturally be an issue discussed. It has apparently been raised on the BBC by people who have been discussing brexit results.

Golah veNekhar

Whether there is a border poll will not be up to them.

Also they have very weak time preferences and that whole concept that quite often by conceding things you get more of what you want than you would do be being thran is very much beyond them. Through their tribal pride and arrogance they have allowed a situation to arise to where we now have abortion on demand and homosexualist marriage in all of Ulster's nine counties where they most certainly do not belong, which most of them I am sure justly oppose though I very much doubt that Arlene Foster does whatever she may say in public.

former wesleyan

Wes, there is a difference between wishing or hoping for a united Ireland but knowing it is pie in the sky, and talking about the matter as a real possibility.
Tyrone. At what point in Irish history from 1922 onwards has Irish unity NOT been discussed in Tyrone ? I was born over the border in Armagh. You could the Tyrone wans discussing Irish unity nearly every day of the year.

Barroso

Tyrone. At what point in Irish history from 1922 onwards has Irish unity NOT been discussed in Tyrone ? I was born over the border in Armagh. You could the Tyrone wans discussing Irish unity nearly every day of the year.
Discuss it?
If by that you mean as a realistic prospect in the near or medium term, I'd say not since the Border commission reported (back in 1925, was it)?

As a wished for, or feared, possibility, of course it would have been constant.

Mickeymac

Unification was an aspiration in those days you speak of........today it's a project pal.

michael-mcivor

When the Brit army raiding gangs arrested young Irish people in their homes for the RUC interrogation teams to start working on them the saying that they were told since they were infants was whatever you say say nothing- now we can’t shut up about the border-poll whilst Unionists pretend that it’s not going to happen-

Malcolm Redfellow

Website
redfellow.blogspot.com
Twitter
mredfellow
"Irish Sea border"

The DUP have put themselves in the strange position that a border in the Irish sea would actually be a good outcome for unionism. Custom posts in Tyrone would be the end of Northern Ireland.
Dunno about Tyrone.

However, I bought a natty Donegal tweed hat in Belleek. Price was quoted in €: had to ask if I could pay in £ (saving change rates on debit card). So that's a small eye-opener. Always referred to it as my "End-of-Empire hat" — geographical reference, rather than any post-colonial cultural appropriation; though it was that, too. Some thieving swine fecked off with it in a bar in Scarborough.

What is truly astounding is that something as contrived, as rackety, as 'Northern Ireland' should have survived nearly a century.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies