• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

What's in a name? - The 'Aviva' Stadium

Gabha Óir

Renaming Lansdowne - The Irish Times - Thu, Feb 26, 2009

I don't know if this has been discussed here before but the above letter from today's IT is very instructive to all those who would cling to the traditionalist view of retaining the 'Landsdowne' title for the new rugby/soccer stadium.

Do you agree with the renaming? Should names be retained because of their original titles or the fact that history was made when they 'traded' under those names. I often think of the O'Duffy section in Clones and would they retain that if refurbished...I wouldn't want names changed myself but if some company offered a substantial sum I think I could be persuaded to amend that particular memorium.

Ah Well

I don't know if this has been discussed here before but the above letter from today's IT is very instructive to all those who would cling to the traditionalist view of retaining the 'Landsdowne' title for the new rugby/soccer stadium.

Do you agree with the renaming? Should names be retained because of their original titles or the fact that history was made when they 'traded' under those names. I often think of the O'Duffy section in Clones and would they retain that if refurbished...I wouldn't want names changed myself but if some company offered a substantial sum I think I could be persuaded to amend that particular memorium.
Can't see the GAA letting Croke Park be called IMF Colosseum or whatever.
But of course one is talking bout the GAA

jmcc

Perhaps Sean Dunne should have purchased the right to rename it? :)

Regards...jmcc

Mr Crowley

Instead of selling the naming rights they should diversify. Imagine the popularity of a recreation of the Roman colliseum; TDs and bankers could be forced to fight to the death or be torn apart by lions and tigers from Dublin Zoo.
The blood, shyte and whatnot would be good for the pitch and it would get the animals a nice run out too.

Ah Well

Instead of selling the naming rights they should diversify. Imagine the popularity of a recreation of the Roman colliseum; TDs and bankers could be forced to fight to the death or be torn apart by lions and tigers from Dublin Zoo.
The blood, shyte and whatnot would be good for the pitch and it would get the animals a nice run out too.
You'd have to put down the animals at the end of it tho. God knows what they might have picked up

Staropramen

The O2 will always remain The Point to most Dubliners. No marketing and avdertising campaign will change that. Same as Lansdowne Road.

Clanrickard

Hibernian Aviva? The company that recently shed jobs to move them to a cheaper location? The IRFU and the FAI should have said no on those grounds.

B

birthday

Just heard Mary Wilson calling it Lansdowne Road- I thought that there was some financial penalty if they did this?