What's so great about Enya?

The Rahenyite

It may surprise or even not surprise people to learn that Enya has sold 75 million records worldwide, 26 million of them in America. She's the 2nd highest selling Irish artist after U2. She's never even done a concert tour. I tried to get into her music lately but listening to the 'Very Best of Enya' I just don't see what millions upon millions of people see in her music. It's not commercial and at times the lyrics aren't audible. Another Irish group My Bloody Valentine didn't sell many records with inaudible lyrics. Is it the ''Celtic mysticism''? As my avatar once said in Intermission or has she tapped into the large international classical crowd with her atmospheric music? Or perhaps Irish America took after her which is funny in that they ignored The Corrs, a catchy pop-rock group with 3 very good looking women.

D

Deleted member 45466

I'm not a fan, but she's created some nice tunes, and is a very talented musician. She's quite the dark nightengale with her unique, haunting vocals.

Like an Irish Kate Bush I s'ppose, although her vocal range isn't as broad as Kate's?

75 million records is amazing. Quite shocked by that.

The Rahenyite

I don't deny she's a good singer. It's just astonishing her success going against the grain of what it is to be a successful mainstream artist. Her best selling album is A Day Without Rain released in 2000 which sold 16 million worldwide and 6.9 million in America. According to articles 'Only Time' getting heavy airplay after 9/11 helped sales.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 45466

True.

Good marketing. The seppos love all that mystical fiddly dee malarkey.

Elizabeth Fraser is a far superior singer IMO, but barely gets mentioned in the honours roll of female musicianship. The glossolalia isn't everyone's cuppa.

Ardillaun

My annual five minutes thinking about Enya...not my cup of tea but she has reworked traditional forms in a new way. There's a real demand for that out there and Irish artists are not fully meeting it IMO.

NYCKY

It may surprise or even not surprise people to learn that Enya has sold 75 million records worldwide, 26 million of them in America. She's the 2nd highest selling Irish artist after U2. She's never even done a concert tour. I tried to get into her music lately but listening to the 'Very Best of Enya' I just don't see what millions upon millions of people see in her music. It's not commercial and at times the lyrics aren't audible. Another Irish group My Bloody Valentine didn't sell many records with inaudible lyrics. Is it the ''Celtic mysticism''? As my avatar once said in Intermission or has she tapped into the large international classical crowd with her atmospheric music? Or perhaps Irish America took after her which is funny in that they ignored The Corrs, a catchy pop-rock group with 3 very good looking women.

Fair play to her for her success, I didn't realize that she had sold that many albums. She has won a number of Grammies in the New Age category over the years.

It would be difficult to replicate that music live, with the layers of synthesizing going on. The music can be nice and soothing if you're getting a massage or painting your house but not sure how good a live show would be.

The Corrs did ok in the US but yea nothing like Enya.

As for the lyrics it's probably best that most of them are inaudible, as she has this habit of waffling on and on without really saying anything but sounding soothing at the same time.

General Urko

She's a fine looking woman and has dime as the quote said -

She is one of us we can be very proud of!

She also had massive issues with a stalker back in the day!

Hillmanhunter1

Not my cup of tea, but you can't argue with the numbers - fair play to her.

CookieMonster

She's managed to release the same album nine times and nobody seems to have noticed. That's a hell of an achievement.

eoghanacht

Is this one of those self loathing begrudgery threads.

Personally I can't comprehend what any of those Kardasians ate for but there ye are.

Anyone who can make a killing flogging lift music is welcome to it.

If this was about bono the OP would probably be amongst the leave him alone brigade.

Incidentally has she got a tax clearance cert.

statsman

You answer your own question.

CookieMonster

Is this one of those self loathing begrudgery threads.

Personally I can't comprehend what any of those Kardasians ate for but there ye are.

Anyone who can make a killing flogging lift music is welcome to it.

If this was about bono the OP would probably be amongst the leave him alone brigade.

Incidentally has she got a tax clearance cert.
Her company, Agile Music, is registered in Ireland AFAIK.

runwiththewind

In Spain, Madrid and Barcelona some years ago, Enya was played everywhere. People underestimate the popularity of Irish trad and folk in Europe. Enya taps into that- the mystical Celtic Europe of ancient times.

Niall996

A lot of Irish people have this self loathing thing going on and sneer at anything that relates to or draws upon ancient or contemporary Irish traditons, legends, history, musical culture etc. They'll appreciate other cultures but never Irelands. Enya was extremely unique and individual when she came on the scene with fantastic production values to her music and that's why she made it so big. The world already had bilions of indie bands, country singers, heavy rock bands, pop goups etc. When someone comes along with something original and executed well, it tends to do well.

CookieMonster

In Spain, Madrid and Barcelona some years ago, Enya was played everywhere. People underestimate the popularity of Irish trad and folk in Europe. Enya taps into that- the mystical Celtic Europe of ancient times.
Yup. She hit a very marketable sweet point with her music and seems to have played it spectacularly well in external markets to her considerable benefit. Because of typical Irish insularity she got away with it unnoticed for some time.

RasherHash

Who's yer wan on the pie-ano :)

[video=youtube;nPEd725KJho]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPEd725KJho[/video]

SEAMAI

I remember seeing her on a Christmas concert in RTE a year or two ago from U.C.C. If someone told me that it was hologram of her beamed down into the Honan Chapel I'd have believed it Afterwards she was interviewed, she had all the charisma of a stale ship's biscuit.

CookieMonster

I remember seeing her on a Christmas concert in RTE a year or two ago from U.C.C. If someone told me that it was hologram of her beamed down into the Honan Chapel I'd have believed it Afterwards she was interviewed, she had all the charisma of a stale ship's biscuit.
I've met her a number of times over the years and always though she was very nice. I once got Chocolate Kimberleys from her. They are my favorite... so perhaps my opinion is biased.

RasherHash

Who's yer wan on the pie-ano :)

[video=youtube;nPEd725KJho]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPEd725KJho[/video]
Him aw hoky oh, u ribbah hora yully, him aw hoky ooooh :)

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies