What's supposed to happen between now and July 2011?

Disillusioned democrat

This Gov doesn't have a clue - so what that we're "fully funded" until July 2011 - what do they expect to happen in the interim that will change market sentiment and make it possible to get back into the bond market?

Either Cowen actually believes "something will come up" between now and July that will make funding possible, or he's sure his Gov will be gone by then and selling off Irish sovereignty will be next Govs problem and albatros. Either way he's either a fool or a villian.

Cowen's refusal to take the bailout is foing to cost us dearly and the only reputational damage will be to this Gov which can be overcome immediately with a general election that eradicates FF from the face of Irish politics for a generation.

If Cowen has his way we'll run the country right up to the "empty" mark and then flail about in the markets looking for cash.

This is like heading off on a long journey with a near empty tank of petrol, passing a fuel station offering petrol at 125c/l, but ignoring that and driving off down the motorway until the car shudders to a stop outside the only station open, with petrol at 150c/l and having NO options. Despite all the clangers Cowen has presided over in recent years, I sispect this will be the one that stands out in a few years time.

Last edited:

A view from England

This Gov doesn't have a clue - so what that we're "fully funded" until July 2011 - what do they expect to happen in the interim that will change market sentiment and make it possible to get back into the bond market?

Either Cowen actually believes "something will come up" between now and July that will make funding possible, or he's sure his Gov will be gone by then and selling off Irish sovereignty will be next Govs problem and albatros. Either way he's either a fool or a villian.

Cowen's refusal to take the bailout is foing to cost us dearly and the only reputational damage will be to this Gov which can be overcome immediately with a general election that eradicates FF from the face of Irish politics for a generation.

If Cowen has his way we'll run the country right up to the "empty" mark and then flail about in the markets looking for cash.

This is like heading off on a long journey with a near empty tank of petrol, passing a fuel station offering petrol at 125c/l, but ignoring that and driving off down the motorway until the car shudderes to a stop outside the only station open, with petrol at 150c/l and having NO options. Despite all the clangers Cowen has presided over in recent years, I sispect this will be the one that stands out in a few years time.
A great analogy and one which those who prefer to ignore the current eye- watering bond rates should read carefully! :D

FakeViking

The Eurobillions Lotto. (either that or a change of government)
That's about the extent of his forward thinking. You could also say "let someone sane in to clean up the disaster he's leaving behind as he heads to a barstool in Clara.

idle tim

Whats supposed to happen between now and July 2011?

Christmas,New Year,then Easter!!!:lol::lol:

Disillusioned democrat

A GE which means the opposition will have to hand over the keys
That would imply that Cowen is happy to risk the future of the country and its people to play party politics - and that's something I can't get my head around - what kind of individual would do that?

Legacy

Good post. Personally I believe its a bit of a mixture between the two. This Government have been incredibly adept at putting their head in the sand - akin to not opening the 'red envelope' when it comes through your letterbox in the hope that it will go away.

However if I was forced to choose between your two options I would tip the balance in favour of them trying to hold on til the General Election so that their name will not historically become synonymous with having to get a bailout. I believe they know that a bailout is inevitable - but the timing is all wrong for them. If they hold out now they can spend the next five years blaming the incoming Government for failing to fight for Irish sovereignty :rolleyes:

So on balance I would suggest 60% villian - 40% fool

DCon

That would imply that Cowen is happy to risk the future of the country and its people to play party politics - and that's something I can't get my head around - what kind of individual would do that?
The same individual who would include Anglo in a State Guarantee, and bluff that it was "systemic". Systemic to the FF system maybe but not Ireland..

Also, the same individual who made his name as a "tough man" defending the likes of P B Ahern.

Cowen was born into FF. He owes everything he has ever had to FF. It is his main Nationality.

nonpartyboy

A scumbag

oddsox

If you can't beat them join them,,, put your head in the sand like this ostrich government

Asparagus

Sean Fitzpatrick's magic beans (anglo) which the Brians bought for the mere price of our sovereignty and children's futures will start to bear fruit.
We'll won't be able to move for golden eggs by July.

The golden circle told Brians so.. and you can take their word to the bank...

Asparagus

But i thought "Scumbags" only existed in the working class estates of Ireland and within the pages of a Paul Williams book?:eek:
Working class? People who work aren't scumbags...
politicians, people in Paul Williams books and generally people who avoid work (cos its for bleedin saps) are scumbags.

redhead101

what do they expect to happen in the interim that will change market sentiment and make it possible to get back into the bond market?
Fianna Fail Ard Fheis?

Keynote speakers:

Pollyanna on "Finding something to be glad about in every situation"

Mr Micawber on "Something will turn up".

Disillusioned democrat

The silence from FF/GP is deafening...what the phuck are they up to?

There's a thread complaining the Noonan showed some sense of leadership by telling it like it is, but you can't get a straight answer from a FFer at the moment and you can't find a GP TD for love nor money.

In a leadership vacuum people begin to get nervous,and I do think it's completely irresponsible for FF to be keeping so quite about what's happening in order to maintain their pride and maintain the pretense a little longer.

Some poster said elsewhere that they were playing a blinder in terms of getting a great deal from EU when they finally do the "deal" at the last minute, but I have to assume, based on form, that the only deal they'll be doing will be on their own behalf - can imagine Cowen as EU Commissioner within a few months after being kicked out of office, and maybe a job or two for Lenihan, Sweary and Harney to boot.

New Threads

Most Replies