What's the best place in Ireland to retire to?

HarshBuzz

Simple question, per the above.

If you had the resources (amd the health), given a choice, where's best?

Personally I like West Waterford.

Disillusioned democrat

Wexford - better weather, decent hospital, train access to Dublin, relatively affordable property and a sea view from almost everywhere.

Aristodemus

Why would anyone want to retire "to" somewhere? Just retire. I'd imagine all the friends and family are near where you'd live now. Why would you want to start all over again?

former wesleyan

Simple question, per the above.

If you had the resources (amd the health), given a choice, where's best?

Personally I like West Waterford.
Kerry. Anywhere around Anascaul, Camp , Inch. Agree with West Waterford as well as I lived there for fifteen years.

Deadlock

North East Kildare - Between Naas and Dublin. Far enough out to make owning a property possible, close enough to town, with good public transport or easy drive.

LookWhoItIs

Why would anyone want to retire "to" somewhere? Just retire. I'd imagine all the friends and family are near where you'd live now. Why would you want to start all over again?
Downsizing or releasing a bit of equity to spend in the latter years?

hammer

In the next few years the lifestyle choice could be

RENT / SELL your house in Dublin and LIVE like a King practically anywhere in the World.

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt

silverharp

I have an aunt and uncle that live in Rathfarnham and I remember saying that if I was them I'd sell and buy a small place near Herbert park. Uncle thought it was a good idea,aunt no. I wouldnt like to be anywhere where youd have to be car dependent, most things should be a 5min walk away

Prof Honeydew

Seanad Eireann. You still get all the perks of being a member of the Oireachtas but your week isn't ruined any more with holding clinics and pìssing in your pants over how many times your photo appears in the local rag.

Mind you, if you go all out for the jackpot, there's nothing to beat Aras an Uachtarain. Unfortunately, only one Lotto ticket is drawn every seven years and, by the time you and your campaign team have dredged up every bit of scurrilous muck on your opponents, you're shagged when you finally get to put your feet up in the Park.

Golden Phoenix

RENT / SELL your house in Dublin and LIVE like a King practically anywhere in the World.
Certainly heading that way.........for the moment........

tigerben

I alway though were I live is a prefect place for retirees. Midleton, near the city , near the coast ( for Sunday drives ). Near Kerry and west cork for weekend breaks . Dublin 2.5 hours away , good buses and trains with the free travel. There are various clubs for older people , singing & painting groups , walking groups , bingo for the active pensioners. Still a few old fashion type pubs for the older gentleman who doesn’t want loud music . Plenty of taxi bases , large supermarkets with delivery services , couple of banks and the town is working towards wheelchair friendly !
Only disadvantage for us being so east cork is that it’s not worth the border shopping when sterling is good.

flavirostris

Dingle Co Kerry. The finest place on earth to see out your days I would say.

Sync

This. Sell the house, take the 500k, spend half of it on a 3 bed in Mexico/Costa Rica/Panama.

LookWhoItIs

This. Sell the house, take the 500k, spend half of it on a 3 bed in Mexico/Costa Rica/Panama.
Too far - pain in the ass trying to fly home from those places - Portugal still affordable and only hop away with nice weather - tax free for 10 years and don't forget Healthcare

The Field Marshal

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies